Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm over 10k still looks good?

Aequitas Veritas 2012 XC, imperial blue, Ness mitered bars, D&D exhaust, Ness deep cut grips-pegs-mirrors-gas cap, Hot Vic custom seat, Hot Vic 21" front wheel kit, custom flame paint, Vicbagger imperial blue contrast cut speaker grills

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I only got 8K out of my OEM Dunlop E3s nearly 2 years ago. I replaced it with an Avon Cobra that looks like it is wearing better here @ 7K miles on it but it may not last much more than 10K which I think is about average

·
Registered
784 Posts
12.5K Tire mileage is very subjective. Air pressure maintenance, riding style, heat, roads, tire age, and weight all play a role.

We ride 2 up a lot, in hot weather with aggressive road surfaces. I feel that is good but YMMV

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
16,000 out of my oem Dunlop E3's on my CCT. They weren't worn out yet but I had some trips lined up and the money available to change them so I did. I went with another set of E3's. The MT in the rear and the regular E3 up front. I keep my pressure at 39 front and 41 rear. I'm also the correct weight for a much taller man.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm also the correct weight for a much taller man.
I have the same issue, must be the stronger gravity...

I had 13,000 on the rear, the tread was getting low but the tire took some damage and I replaced before a trip. I did the front at the same time as it was wearing odd, replaced both with ME880's. I run 38psi rear and 40 front.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Only have about 3500 on the tires so far but no noticeable flat spotting on the rear yet. Though there is a good chance I'll be tossing these tires out in the relatively near future. Never had good luck with factory installed tires being anything but rocks and after my trip to VT last weekend I'm thinking the bike could benefit nicely from some proper rubber. We ended up on a section of road that was HEAVILY tar snaked and while I understand that even the best tires will slip over fresh (or fairly fresh and sun heated) tar snakes, the amount of wobble I was getting going over the things was disconcerting. Typically my girl doesn't even notice things like a little wiggle in the front or rear, she's just used to the bike moving around a bit, but there were a couple whole bike wiggles that even caught her attention that day. Always been a michelin and pirelli guy so I'll probably start looking into my options with those brands and keep the stock set as take offs in case I pick up a nail or something.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I got just under 32,000 kilometres or just short of 19,000 miles, happy with that.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just replaced both, after 14,000
Prolly could have gotten a few more miles, but happy I have new rubber.
Ride hard,check tire pressure often

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I was shocked when I hit 10,00 I looked at the rear tire and it still looks good. I have buy no means baby'd it. A couple of burn outs now and then. So I'm impressed it's still good after 10,000

Aequitas Veritas 2012 XC, imperial blue, Ness mitered bars, D&D exhaust, Ness deep cut grips-pegs-mirrors-gas cap, Hot Vic custom seat, Hot Vic 21" front wheel kit, custom flame paint, Vicbagger imperial blue contrast cut speaker grills

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I'm at 9,200 miles and both OEM tires are looking good. I had a buddy tread gauge them on last week's trip to Laconia and there is plenty left, these should get me through the rest of this season.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got 16.5 K outta the set. Replaced front and rear at the same time. Both were pretty evenly worn. I probably coulda gone to 18 or 20 K, but I don't like my tires to be too thin. 90% of tire failures happen in the last 10% of tire life....

·
Registered
611 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you all consider to be the point at which the tire needs to be replaced? Seems that would be a significant factor in judging the total lifespan of the tire.

For instance, do you ride until the whole tire reaches a uniform wear down to the indicator bars? Just one sections of the tire down to the bars? Do you have some subjective point where the middle of the tire is flat spotted enough that you swap it even though the rest is still "good"

For me it varies based on the bike. My sport bike I usually get take off tires from my racer friends. They're worn on the sides but usually brand new in the middle, perfect for a street ride. I use them until the middle matches the sides then replace. On my standard I usually do the same but recently mounted up a set of new angel GT's. I'll run those until the rear has a visibly noticeable flat spot then swap it out. The victory will be the same. The difference in handling between a flat spotted tire and a nice round one is so significant to me that I can't stand keeping a tire with a worn middle. Dual compounds have been awesome in the sportbike world. Not sure if they've made it into the cruiser market yet but I can see them being even more of a benefit on bikes like these.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I try not to let the wear bars get even with the road surface. When they start looking close, replace....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you all consider to be the point at which the tire needs to be replaced? Seems that would be a significant factor in judging the total lifespan of the tire.

For instance, do you ride until the whole tire reaches a uniform wear down to the indicator bars? Just one sections of the tire down to the bars? Do you have some subjective point where the middle of the tire is flat spotted enough that you swap it even though the rest is still "good"

For me it varies based on the bike. My sport bike I usually get take off tires from my racer friends. They're worn on the sides but usually brand new in the middle, perfect for a street ride. I use them until the middle matches the sides then replace. On my standard I usually do the same but recently mounted up a set of new angel GT's. I'll run those until the rear has a visibly noticeable flat spot then swap it out. The victory will be the same. The difference in handling between a flat spotted tire and a nice round one is so significant to me that I can't stand keeping a tire with a worn middle. Dual compounds have been awesome in the sportbike world. Not sure if they've made it into the cruiser market yet but I can see them being even more of a benefit on bikes like these.

I think that is mostly a personal preference. I got 20k miles out of my original set of Dunlops. But to be honest, the rear should have been replaced at 16k miles and really it had been driving like crap since about 12k miles.

I don't think you can ride until the tire reaches uniform wear. Where I live the middle of the tire will always wear out faster than the sides. And once the middle of the tire gets bald they are flat dangerous in the rain. Once any section of tread reaches the wear bars the tire is officially worn out and technically needs replaced. How much farther past the wear bars that you push them is up to you. I know people who ride until cords are showing on their tires and I know people who replace tires when they just get close to the wear bar.

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I got 15k out of the rear...MIGHT'VE had another thousand in it, but I wasn't willing to gamble. 16k out of the front and it was quite done.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have never gotten over 10,000 on any rear tire. However, a lot has to do with riding style and location. Back in the 70's I spent a few years trying to make a living as a tire salesman--- this was before radial tires were popular, so...............................

Where you drive has a lot to do with it. On cars 75% of the wear comes in the summer months when the asphalt is hot. The roads that are baking in the south will wear tires much faster than those in New England or the northern states. Also, if most of your riding is on abrasive surfaces has a lot to do with it. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts