Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how many amps (or watts) that a 2008 Kingpin Tour uses under "normal" load? Meaning, no additional lights, cell phone chargers etc, just factory load when running?

I want to add a set of driving lights, but they are 55watt each and I'm concerned that might be too much draw? The only other thing I normally have is a GPS or Cell phone plugged in charging/running.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Vics use a 48-amp alternator? I would guess a couple 55-watt driving lights would be a long way from taxing the charging system.

At any rate, I'll give the thread a bump so someone with useable knowledge can chime in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it is a 38-amp alternator. But the manual conflicts on watts, in some places it says 450 and in others it says 525 I believe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not much help but I have a 2012 XR and it states a 48 amp alternator. My Victory light bar came with two 25 watt bulbs and the first one didn't last 2 days. I stopped at O'Reilly's and bought 2 55watt replacements. About 800 miles later, all is well. No drag on the alternator at idle. No change in brightness from off to on or vice-versa. I can't help but believe you will be fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figure I'll wire them up, measure the battery and then go on a nice long ride with them on and measure again when I get home. If the Battery reads the same, that should mean its good to go, right?

·
Registered
329 Posts
48W @ 12 VDC= 576 watts the alternator produces. I would guess that not even 1/2 of that is used for everything on the bike.

In addition, I have been running a 300W amplifier on my bike with no problems whatsoever

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
48W @ 12 VDC= 576 watts the alternator produces. I would guess that not even 1/2 of that is used for everything on the bike.

In addition, I have been running a 300W amplifier on my bike with no problems whatsoever
I'm quite certain you're not running a 300W amplifier. I'd bet its really about 10% of that. I bet you purchased a "300 Watt Amplifier" as advertised but that is in peak watts and it will never actually run at that level...in fact...just a fraction of it. If it's a Pyle, Shark, Lanzar amp then it's not even running what it claims as RMS wattage let alone peak.

Not beating on your amp, just the statement is misleading.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Here is the formula, Watts = Amps x Volts
So 38Amps x 14.4 volts = ~547 watts
Normally you don't want to do more then 80% total load on a fuse or the system.

I'm just guessing the bikes run at 14.4 volts when running to charge like a car but I never checked.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Can anyone tell me how many amps (or watts) that a 2008 Kingpin Tour uses under "normal" load? Meaning, no additional lights, cell phone chargers etc, just factory load when running?

I want to add a set of driving lights, but they are 55watt each and I'm concerned that might be too much draw? The only other thing I normally have is a GPS or Cell phone plugged in charging/running.
Find someone with an Amp meter and slap it around one battery cable whilst the bike is running and all accessories are on...read amps and subtract from the 38 amp output for your bike.

Formula: Power,(Watts) = Amps, (I) x volts, (E)--- They're using "V" in the table below for Volts.

You can use the formula below to calulate the unknown variable with any two known values.

electric-power-formula.jpg

I believe it's no more than 80% continuous load on a fuse or circuit breaker and 120% load for non-continuous load on a circuit breaker. Something like that... going from memory. 80% is a good safety margin to use for both to keep the heat down and from tripping circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts