Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How much does tire presure grow

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SportyDoug 
#1 ·
So how much does your tire air pressure rise?
I have checked mine after a ride with a tire gauge and air pressure has only risen up 3 pounds.

#3 ·
Interesting, I've never checked that I will make a point and report it....I'm gonna guess the temperature may have something to do with it?

Stay safe

Rob

#9 ·
No, set it at what the manual calls for when the tires are "cold". Pressure going up is normal when the tire heats up. Too low of a pressure can cause excessive heat and cause a blowout.

#11 ·
Yah. Tire pressure recommendations seem to change with the rider. Some say run 'em hard while others run them 10 low. One cannot go wrong with what the manufacturer puts on the sidewall, cold. I start with the manufacturer's recommendation and then refill once the pressure drops 8-10 psi. I have alwasy felt it is good to check, as a radical drop in pressure probably indicates a problem. Folks I rode with, who were on rigid frame bikes, ran their tube ties at about 15 psi. Suspension donchaknow.

#10 ·
I do know the higher the tire pressure that cuts down on stopping distance. But underinflation doesn't help either

#12 ·
SportyDoug
ok how come owners book says one thing. The tire manufacturer says something ells. I have read the sidewall of the tire many times.
I all so know the tire manufacturer sells tires to 300 different model bikes.
So what it right?

#13 ·
SportyDoug
ok how come owners book says one thing. The tire manufacturer says something ells. I have read the sidewall of the tire many times.
I all so know the tire manufacturer sells tires to 300 different model bikes.
So what it right?
The sidewall of the tire typically shows maximum pressure not recommended pressure to run. Best to go with vehicle recommended pressures

#14 ·
The max pressure recommendation on the sidewall relates to the maximum load the tire is designed to carry. I like it as a starting point when I gas my tires, just like I have my shock/s set in a position that is pretty comfortable for all the loads I usually carry. I know the tire pressure is going to drop, over time, but that way I fill less often. Vehicle recommended pressure is okay too, as most riders do not overload their machines.

I'm not a professional motorcycle racer, so what I am looking for is safety and comfort for a lot of miles, at reasonable speeds. Reasonable does not mean slow, it means me riding within my skill set and acknowledging the conditions I am riding in.

I was riding north on the I-25 out of Santa Fe and ran into a downpour. Stubborn, I kept chugging along about 5 mph under the limit, in the right lane. Limited visibility for sure, but the rain was starting to let up. This guy comes up to pass me and he is taking forever to do so. I am getting pissed when I look down and realize the water on the E-way is close to the bottom of his frickin floor boards. The guy was trying not to wash me off the freeway. LOL. I took the next exit for a break.

It all relates. Perfect tire pressure in old tires with worn shocks and unchanged fork oil, in a monsoon...you get it.

And, no, I do not give out the personal information of my biker chicks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.