Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been storing my bike in my friend's garage for the winter (thank god since the snow was nasty in DC this year). I went in to start it up a couple times and last time I went in the gas light came on. I didn't realize I didn't fill it up before I put it away.:confused:

Unfortunately the nearest gas station is a couple miles away. Any guesses on how far I can get with the light on? I am trying to find a gas can but am not having any luck...

-jason

·
Registered
173 Posts
Gas light comes on with approx .8 gallons left, so its up to you to figure out your mpg and guess. I'd say you'd be safe with 20, 30 would probabaly be streching it. I normally just hit the trip and look to refill around the 120ish mark to be safe

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Open the gas cap. Look in, if you see gas you are in good shape.

If you don't see gas, rock the bike side to side. If you can see the gas splash you have plenty to get to the gas station.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Gas light comes on with approx .8 gallons left, so its up to you to figure out your mpg and guess. I'd say you'd be safe with 20, 30 would probabaly be streching it. I normally just hit the trip and look to refill around the 120ish mark to be safe
Yep, cball is right on point. If the light came on while the bike was on the kickstand, it will probably go off once you get it upright, but be sure to fill it up within 20 miles or so just to be safe (walking to the gas station sucks).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have been storing my bike in my friend's garage for the winter (thank god since the snow was nasty in DC this year). I went in to start it up a couple times and last time I went in the gas light came on. I didn't realize I didn't fill it up before I put it away.:confused:

Unfortunately the nearest gas station is a couple miles away. Any guesses on how far I can get with the light on? I am trying to find a gas can but am not having any luck...

-jason
If it just came on you have at least 30 miles, depends on your mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
If it just came on you have at least 30 miles, depends on your mileage.
Also, that number and your miles/gallon can be affected if you are riding two up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took her out and had no problems. I filled her up. She wavered on the light as I rode - probably due to the gas sloshing around.

Now I just need to stick a rag in my coat to ensure she doesn't get any gas splashback when filling her up!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is your total milage on a full tank of gas? I had the light flicker around ~100. I have aftermarket pipes so it was remapped. I was hoping to get about 120-140 per tank. My old bike (with 3 gallon tank) got this...

And the F*&^( splashback on filling up the tank is really making me angry!

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
My light comes on at around 125 miles.
The most I have gone before the light comes on was 138 miles. My average is usually about 125 -135 based on my style of riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know what you mean Durblix, my first Victory was a hammer, it splashed back while filling, now I have a vision and a jackpot. No problem filling the vision but the jackpot is hard to fill without splashing back.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Unfortunately it is what it is. I have the same problem but a buddy showed me a great tip. I just take some paper towels and pull back the rubber on the nozzle and it keeps the splash off the paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts