Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had abs before and this bike is different than my other so not sure if it is me or if there is an issue. Rear pedal barely moves. Fluid looks good and at right level in the reservoir.
Brake does work but I'm used to a pedal that moves more. Not sure if it's something to fix or if it's me.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
If I recall, the HD Ultra Classic pedal moved more than my XCT pedal. Can't really remember but that's the impression I have. I'll add that if the wheel is free when you are not pressing the brake, but the bike stops when you press on it, then it's good.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha yes that is one way to look at it. I will need to jack the rear to see if it spins freely.

Only have maybe 2 inches of movement on the pedal, I can roll fine in neutral and pushing pedal stops me. I'm a little concerned with such little travel making it difficult to lightly brake when needed. I suppose just something I'll have to get used to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brakes

If your brake is dragging you would know about it. You will smell it and see if the rotor is warm. If your brake light is working proper I would think you are good to go.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I just checked the two 2012 XCT bikes we have here and each has at most 1.5" of rear brake pedal travel and possibly closer to 1". I think what you describe is normal.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked the two 2012 XCT bikes we have here and each has at most 1.5" of rear brake pedal travel and possibly closer to 1". I think what you describe is normal.
Thanks. I showed my uncle doing my show and tell on the bike and he said it about same with his. I just have to be careful but I guess with abs a lock up is less likely.
All part of learning my new ride. 20 miles mixed city and highway it's a lot different than my VTX.

Clutch is hard to figure out prior owner added an extra arm to it so trying to find where the friction zone is at. So far I seem to have all on or all off.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Theoretically, with ABS, it should be impossible to lock up the rear wheel. The rear is the easy one to test. Get going and hit the rear brake hard. In the unlikely event it does lockup and the rear tire starts to slide out on you, you can immediately release the brake and get things back under control.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was thinking that one is easy to test. I'm not crazy enough to test the front abs...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Yeah I was thinking that one is easy to test. I'm not crazy enough to test the front abs...

I, on the other hand, did. On a gravel driveway. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Not crazy, it's the sanest thing you can do so you know what to expect when the time comes. It's foolish not to practice emergency braking.
BTW, my rear brake pedal hardly moves at all, yet the brake functions A-OK.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Practicing braking yes but I've never intentionally locked a front wheel.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Practicing braking yes but I've never intentionally locked a front wheel.
ABS won't allow it to lock. That's the purpose for ABS. Check out some youtube videos on the subject.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
It is certainly the purpose of the front wheel ABS to prevent the front wheel locking up. I would be very nervous about testing the front wheel ABS to the point of engagement. What if it doesn't work? I don't think I have the skill to keep the bike upright if I lock the front wheel. I'm almost instantly in a low side crash from which I doubt I could recover. Sure, the likelihood of the ABS NOT working is small but the consequences of this are so bad just to test a system that is very likely to working properly (especially since the rear wheel ABS works) that I am reluctant to conduct the test. I would prefer to wait until I need the front ABS to avoid a crash and "test" it then by grabbing as much front brake as I can.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is certainly the purpose of the front wheel ABS to prevent the front wheel locking up. I would be very nervous about testing the front wheel ABS to the point of engagement. What if it doesn't work? I don't think I have the skill to keep the bike upright if I lock the front wheel. I'm almost instantly in a low side crash from which I doubt I could recover. Sure, the likelihood of the ABS NOT working is small but the consequences of this are so bad just to test a system that is very likely to working properly (especially since the rear wheel ABS works) that I am reluctant to conduct the test. I would prefer to wait until I need the front ABS to avoid a crash and "test" it then by grabbing as much front brake as I can.
We think alike on this. :)
I know how to handle rear lock up been there done that but I'm not sure I could recover a front lock up.
Prior owner told me he did lock front up one time and he was happy he had the abs to keep the bike upright.

Okay another question!
Is this the infamous brake recall fix?
IMG_20180529_172427.jpg

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
12,984 Posts
IndyVictory
You have been here long enough with 63 post. Either you add your information to you signature or every time you do a post about your bike. Tell us model and year. Every one ells gives the information.
Don't know how long you have owned the bike but it takes time to get the feel of brakes and clutch. Remember front brake stops you rear brake slows you down.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IndyVictory
You have been here long enough with 63 post. Either you add your information to you signature or every time you do a post about your bike. Tell us model and year. Every one ells gives the information.
Is it not showing up???

I just updated it again earlier today.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Here's what I have to say about that.........
Hehehe. Or perhaps the expression "Discretion being the better part of valor" applies :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts