Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How not to Fuel Your Bike

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  8BallHammer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Geez! Who puts the pump on auto shut off when filling a motorcycle tank? I have never done that; at least that I can remember. It just doesn't take all that much gas.

Oh well; sounds like everyone will live with some scars to show for it. Good reminder to never leave the pump on auto. The only reason I can imagine leaving the bike running is if it needs a new battery or maybe he was trying to charge a low battery and didn't want to risk it not starting.

That makes leaving the pump on auto even more stupid. Some people start riding late in life and just don't understand the bike is not like a car in almost every way. I've seen a lot of people try then give up when they see it isn't as easy as they thought it would be. That's a good time to get a good deal on a bike if they haven't trashed it yet. Really common in retirement communities.

#3 ·
Obviously a stupid "look at me" asshole type that we don't need in our sport. Comes into the gas station with his radio blaring and won't turn it off or down and leaves his engine running. Maybe God was punishing him, ya think?

Reactions: BenD
#4 ·
I saw something just like this the other night and the pump attendant would not turn the pump on for the guy until he turned the bike off, words where exchanged and the attendant told the guy you wanna turn the bike off or risk your beautiful bike going up in smoke, light bulb went on in the guys head and apologized to the attendant.

#5 ·
I don't understand where guys playing their music loud don't think it bothers others.
Here in MN. there are signs on pumps saying "shut off motor" before fueling.

#6 ·
If he was playing his stereo loudly he was probably concerned about amp drain and left it running (of course after spending that much $ on a stereo he can't do without it during a fill-up).
Everyone has done something dumb at one time or another. Hope he makes it through ok.

#8 ·
And the gas pump mfr., and Harley-Davidson, and the radio station he had on, and that pregnant woman, and the ambulance company, and....

Reactions: Rattus
#9 · (Edited)
Watching the video makes me think of the words of the great philosopher Mr Ron White, "You can't fix Stupid".

Auto shutoff is built into the nozzle. It's not something extra you need to do. It is however built to work when the nozzle is in a vertical position as it would be when filling a car or truck. Laying the nozzle on its side on the tank could circumvent the process. If you are holding onto the nozzle and paying attention you won't have a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKOD3KRkZs

#10 ·
Now all you need to do is make sure all the stupid people out there watch that video.:wink

#12 ·
I really have nothing against HD's but some of the dumbest, rudest, and probably some of the worse riders I have ever seen are usually on a harley. I see this every weekend because I live on a very popular motorcycle route. It seems like the guys and gals that gravitate to a HD get one for attention and the feeling of "belonging" to something. I watched a guy 2 Fridays ago do the something as bad. Pulled up to the gas station on his HD, stayed sitting on the bike with it running, proceeded to fuel up and all the while still smoking his cigarette. You could easily tell he was wanting/trying to look like a bad ass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.