Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and came up short on how often to add fuel injector cleaner to a tank of gas? I would think it would be different form a car, but thought i might tap into some of the wisdom here on the forum. Any suggestions? or routines? Maybe at each oil/filter change?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I only have 11700 miles on my '13 Vision so I have had no need for an injector cleaner yet.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I did a search and came up short on how often to add fuel injector cleaner to a tank of gas? I would think it would be different form a car, but thought i might tap into some of the wisdom here on the forum. Any suggestions? or routines? Maybe at each oil/filter change?
You can but I wouldnt, submersible fuel pumps have carbon brushes in them...what does injector cleaner attack?..thats right.... Carbon
..think about it

·
Registered
48 Posts
not that the carbon brushes

run in the petrol-cleaner mixture .....
Injector cleaner (so i've heard) is very corrosive, to do its job. Only use it if you have to ....

You can but I wouldnt, submersible fuel pumps have carbon brushes in them...what does injector cleaner attack?..thats right.... Carbon
..think about it

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I add a little marvel mystery oil once every few tanks, maybe an ounce to a full tank. Run good gas is more important, dont run ethanol if you can help it, find a gas station that you have good luck with and stick with it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I add a little marvel mystery oil once every few tanks, maybe an ounce to a full tank. Run good gas is more important, dont run ethanol if you can help it, find a gas station that you have good luck with and stick with it.

and don't fuel up while the petrol stations tanks are being filled.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have used the Polaris fuel injector cleaner , (also recommended for Victory) a couple of times . Got it right from my Victory dealer .

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
..think about it
I thought about it.

I think that if your pump motor brushes are exposed to your fuel flow, whether you have a cleaning agent mixed in will probably not affect the explosion much. At least, not to the point where the insurance
company can use fuel injector additives as a reason to refuse to pay for your groin reconstruction surgeries.

·
12,983 Posts
I think its snake oil. The FI is a nozzle with O-rings centering the nozzle. If you go to a popular gas station they usually have good gas. Here in MN the state checks all stations for the grade of gas. For water chemicals and purity.
I think most if not all the chemicals that you can buy at the auto store is snake oil.
I have never put any thing in my lawn more and it's 12 years old and runs like a top. My truck is fifteen years old and never have don't or used any chemicals in it and and runs great. (knock on wood)
If you read any owners book they never say buy this for your gas or for your oil. I put my bike away in OCT with a full tank of gas. Come spring I start it and ride. Never have I add stable to the gas. Gas is good for six months and the bike might not have full power in the spring but then I add gas when I get to half tank. I have never heard of a professional motor builder say put in some kind of cleaner. The guys that put stuff in think its doing good but they never know what it does they "think" it does.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Doesnt gas have cleaners in it already,,,:)

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I think its snake oil. The FI is a nozzle with O-rings centering the nozzle. If you go to a popular gas station they usually have good gas. Here in MN the state checks all stations for the grade of gas. For water chemicals and purity.
I think most if not all the chemicals that you can buy at the auto store is snake oil.
I have never put any thing in my lawn more and it's 12 years old and runs like a top. My truck is fifteen years old and never have don't or used any chemicals in it and and runs great. (knock on wood)
If you read any owners book they never say buy this for your gas or for your oil. I put my bike away in OCT with a full tank of gas. Come spring I start it and ride. Never have I add stable to the gas. Gas is good for six months and the bike might not have full power in the spring but then I add gas when I get to half tank. I have never heard of a professional motor builder say put in some kind of cleaner. The guys that put stuff in think its doing good but they never know what it does they "think" it does.
Ethanol gas starts degrading in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
VJ has indeed been a lucky guy, not putting a fuel stabilizer in prior to hibernation. Don't pass up buying lottery tix VJ.
Exposed fuel pump brushes! Wanna buy a bridge MotobikerX?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ethanol is terrible from any kind of motor I use Startron there is no over dose, dont use it in my car because its 11 years old an has 135k on it. But the selds, the vic, snowblower, lawn mower, generator, an 4 wheeler get a decent dose of this stuff every now an then. Never have an issue what so ever just got the bike off the lift tonight an started it for the first time since last November, started like nothin just like a brand new tank of gas.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I will be putting the snowmobiles away tomorrow and usually put a half a bottle in each run them a little and fog the cylinders. Done for the year

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
Seafoam at oil change time in one tank of gas so every 5000. I've never had to clean the throttle body like most do with an 04.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Maybe i am thick..don't we have spark plugs rather than injectors..or is it a combination of both..injectors squirt the fuel..plugs ignite it..??:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
VJ has indeed been a lucky guy, not putting a fuel stabilizer in prior to hibernation. Don't pass up buying lottery tix VJ.
Exposed fuel pump brushes! Wanna buy a bridge MotobikerX?
A bridge? Yeah..Brooklyn or Sydney Harbour?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts