Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would like to do some upgrades to my 15 vegas 8 ball slowly overtime when I can of course and my wife doesnt understand why I need to upgrade at all.

I have told her that cars come in different body styles so you can somewhat customize what you would like, and that can't be done with a bike. Of course she doesn't understand that comparison.

So with this any advice on how to convince my wife would be grateful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Explain that you need to make your bike your "own". You want to do the mods because it's a hobby and it makes you happy. Does your wife make more money than you? Do you share a bank account? I give my wife an allowance... She doesn't work. I pay all the bills. I give her money for her fuel, incidentals, kids stuff & groceries. I am not telling you how much this costs to keep her happy...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No she doesn't work at all we are one person military income. We do share the account.

·
Registered
209 Posts
compromise

backrest for her, exhaust for you. floorboards for her. fairing for you. Have her pick her favorite color on her favorite car, then paint the bike that color. You get the idea

·
Premium Member
8,992 Posts
just do it:devil

·
Registered
132 Posts
Remember that all your mods are for your safety. Any and all chrome is safety chrome. Speed mods are to help you accelerate away from potentially dangerous situations.

·
Registered
12,329 Posts
It depends how long you wish to be married to her. I have found that the best policy is to be open about money and discuss each and every expenditure. Its not your money or her money, its our money. It buys our food, pays our rent, etc.. The question here is, "Is it OK if I buy this Farkle for my bike Honey?" You can ignore what I said if your military rank is O6 or above.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
No she doesn't work at all we are one person military income. We do share the account.

Well that changes things a bit... Just remember it's a hobby like any other. I appreciate your service. Try and justify it with the entertainment factor. You could just do what I did and cut strip clubs out for a month. Saved 10g in one month... ?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The sex thing only works one way , if you shut her off she will just laugh and do some house work ...:grin

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
So I would like to do some upgrades to my 15 vegas 8 ball slowly overtime when I can of course and my wife doesnt understand why I need to upgrade at all.

I have told her that cars come in different body styles so you can somewhat customize what you would like, and that can't be done with a bike. Of course she doesn't understand that comparison.

So with this any advice on how to convince my wife would be grateful.

Over time the wife gets used to the spending on "stupid things you don't need" :rolleyes:. Some woman are just practical and its hard for them to understand how these things can bring us men joy.
You just have to be strong and say I'm getting this or that because its what I want. She'll get over it, just go slow at first and don't be moron by spending more than you can afford. You'd be a fool and your wife would have every right to hold it against you if you spent and couldn't pay your bills....

·
Premium Member
234 Posts

Sounds just like my situation. My wife wouldn't give me permission to buy anything for my bike. It didn't last long. First it was a heel shifter. I explained that the shifter destroys my boots. I actually rode in an old pair of boots to prove this lol. Then new grips. I explained that the stock grips made my hands go numb. Then the throttle ring. I explained that it took the pressure off my wrist on long rides.

I have a justification for everything I get for my bike. It may be bullshit, but she doesn't know that. Good luck breaking that barrier!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Im too old to have anybody tell me what I can and cant buy . Especially when my families very lifesblood runs through me . It would be highly hypocritical for my ol'lady to to tell me I cant buy something within reason .

Regardless , I have a buddy thats 59 , when I go visit him I always bring a 12 pack of beer . He has a new girlfriend , she says he drinks too much beer . So I go over and Im on my third beer and he is drooling watching me so Im like , whats up bro , have a few beers . He says I cant , she wants me to quit drinking beer ...... 59 yeas old , in good health , been drinking since he was 16 , and allows a woman at his age to tell him if its ok or not to drink a beer ??? :ltr: I told him to call me when they break up and I can have my buddy back . Some guys tolerate this kind of thing , some dont .:nanana:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dealing with a Wife is all give and take ... You give her your paycheck , And she takes it.....:devil

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
My solution was to get bikes for both my wife and me. That makes it easy to get new bike goodies although twice as expensive. One for my bike and one for her bike :)

Reactions: broggyr
1 - 20 of 42 Posts