Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a tank on a hammer i need to drain and i know when you remove the fuel line alittle gas leaks outs thats in the fuel but how to you get the gas out? Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was originally going to do that but i figured there has to be a way to drain a gas tank.I know with carberated bike just disconnect the fuel hose from the petcock attatch new hose going to container open and away ya go.So you saying on a fuel injected bike there is no other way to drain it other then siphon the gas out?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just thinking if i disconnect the fuel line from the tank and connect another fuel line from tank to jerry can and turn on igniton wont the fuel pump drain the tank?

·
13,254 Posts
You could do that but then you take the chance of burning up the fuel pump.
Open the gas cap and tip the tank over.
As long as the fuel pump is in the tank you;ll have some gas caught in there.
How bone dry do you want it? What are you doing to the tank that you need all the gas out?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i have 2 bikes and havent drove the hammer for a long time and when i put the bike aways i had a full tank so good chances are the gas isnt good so i wanted to drain the tank and put fresh gas in.I guess i could siphon most of it out but figured should be away to drain a tank.About burning out the fuel pump isnt the fuel pump running all the time anyways?

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts
I don't think you can use the fuel pump trick. I tried this on an EFI Harley one time and there was a sensor somewhere that stopped the fuel pump after a few seconds. Maybe a fuel pressure sensor. No pressure no pumpy after the initial pumping to prime the EFI.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread,
My service manual says that I need a special tool from the dealer to prevent gas from coming out of my tank when when I remove it to change the air filter. Do I really need to buy that tool?
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
229 Posts
my hammer had a "check valve" and did not need a tool to remove it or keep from spilling gas. when we were pulling a alot of water out of tanks a couple months ago(when it finally rained in 8months) we could jump off the fuel pump on the newer sport bikes with no ill effects but i dont recommend it, i would just go buy a couple feet of clear hose (less than 1/2") and do it the old fashion way, i did two jetski's just the other day, worked good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts