Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 14 CCT. My question is this, if I wanted to maximize the mpg on the bike, what if anything would you suggest doing?

The following answers have been given by my friends and need not be repeated

1. Lose 30 lbs
2. Leave the wife at home
3. never ride over 50 mph

All of those could work, but are not realistic :)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
On the highway when traveling between 60-69 mph leave it in 5th gear , I get 43-44 mpg at this speed/ rpm if I'm in 6th , it drops to 35-36 mpg . I have tested this by calculator on multiple tanks of fuel with the same results .....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I ride a 14 CCT. My question is this, if I wanted to maximize the mpg on the bike, what if anything would you suggest doing?

1. Lose 30 lbs

I maintain around 3000rpm in every gear... Ride at 3000rpm and shift at 5000rpm. I get 43mpg on average. Don't be scared to run at 3500rpm in 5th gear as that gets better mileage than running at 2500 in 6th.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

1. Lose 30 lbs

1) I lost almost 50 lbs since the end of last season.
2) My wife lost almost 150 lbs! (gastric bypass)
3) Yea, right. :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I was talking to my neighbor the other day who has one of those GM vehicles that looks like a 40's panel van. I asked him what kind of mileage they get. He told me he made it all the way from Calgary, Alberta to Vancouver, BC (appx 1,000 km or 600 miles) without adding any gas. I was impressed!! Then he said "it was on a TRAILER" !

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I am always amused by this mileage question thing. If you look at it as an annualized expense, getting a tad more gas mileage doesn't pencil out to a significant amount of cash at the end of the year, unless you ride well over 20,000 miles a year.
Let me get this right...you have a $20,000 bike that you really do not need - just want - and you want to save a few cents at fill-up?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I am always amused by this mileage question thing.

Let me get this right...you have a $20,000 bike that you really do not need - just want - and you want to save a few cents at fill-up?
Agreed!

I've checked my mileage once since I got this bike... just coz I was curious. Last time before that I did a mileage check was two bikes ago ... again, coz I was curious.

Some folks are just too wrapped up in **** that's not really all that important.

However, there is the argument of "better gas mileage allows me to go further between fillups" ... That's really important I suppose if you're doing an iron butt or plan to travel in a remote area where gas is scarce.

·
13,177 Posts
Gopjohnny

now that we have told you what we think.

What do you get for mileage and what do you want for mileage

·
Registered
403 Posts
I am always amused by this mileage question thing. If you look at it as an annualized expense, getting a tad more gas mileage doesn't pencil out to a significant amount of cash at the end of the year, unless you ride well over 20,000 miles a year.
This coming from the guy that scratches for every penny to help his retirement fund... Why the hell would you not want to increase your mpg's?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If you are not happy with mpg's in the low 40's on a 800 pound plus bike with a big ol' engine and the aerodynamics of a piece of plywood then get a smaller bike!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
This coming from the guy that scratches for every penny to help his retirement fund... Why the hell would you not want to increase your mpg's?
That "scratching" is in jest, because I denied myself a lot of non essentials and saved and invested when I was young(er), I now have a comfortable retirement. For my bike's weight, engine size, aerodynamics and the way I ride (revs up) my XR gets me very satisfactory mileage figures. Its a toy and the gas it uses is what it takes to play with it. Got a wife or girlfriend? I rest my case. :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
well attempting to improve your mileage is something a lot of folks would like to do. No matter the if, what or but for we are always trying to improve our bikes. Nuff said.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Yup, nuff sed. Good luck with the mileage thing and let us know how it comes out. To remind us, what mileage are you getting now and under what conditions?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Its a toy and the gas it uses is what it takes to play with it.
Some of us are actually serious about our bikes. They are full-time, year-around transportation, not toys. You had ~$20,000 to spend on a toy? I'm happy for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My new 2014 XC with 1300 on it now gets crappy (in my opinion) mileage.

For Me and maybe others, you really don't want to be the a-hole having to stop for gas before everyone else. My 99 Fatboy that I traded in for this gas guzzler got high 40's to 50 mpg and on trips cruising the back roads I could even reach 55 mpg. It had and Andrews cam an some other performance mods.

Money is not really the issue, I would love to run a solid 250 miles on a tank without stopping and I don't think I will ever see that with this bike. Road trips usually equal 300-400 mile days. I'd like to fill up less.

Long trips and good gas mileage mean less stops. But for us old guys we have to stop to go to the bathroom more than we need to fill up the tank.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Ahoutzer, the OP did not indicate his bike was his basic transportation, so its reasonable to assume its his plaything.
My 2010 XR with medium windshield and fork lowers can get a bit over 50 mpg when riding two laners mostly in 5th gear. I keep revs up above 2500 at all times and much higher in twisties. I use premium gas only. Lower mpg is around the low 40s at the worst. That happens on high speed freeway runs and in tight twisties. Every bike is different.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, nuff sed. Good luck with the mileage thing and let us know how it comes out. To remind us, what mileage are you getting now and under what conditions?
If I could avg in the low 40's I would be happy. I tend to average in the hi 30's. Most of my riding is country roads, some interstate, very little stop and go. I would say my avg speed on the country roads is around 50-60 and interstate around 75. Two up about 75percent of the time.

I have a couple friends with Harley's that get less and the trikes, but my bike is generally one of the ones with the worst mpg. It appears from the comments I might be cruising at too low an rpm (2500-2800rpm) but I have always ran in the highest gear that I had no problem lugging in.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
Downhill =Killswitch

This could work you know ??

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
There are a number of good points and everyone has their own opinion. I don't know what mine gets. I do know that it has a 4.5 gal tank and I can usually expect in the neighborhood of 165 miles if I choose to push it.

My last bike was a vtx1800 and mileage sucked big time. I probably would have kept it if it had a larger tank. It also had a 4.5 gal which I never really understood.

I don't care too much about my mileage as long as it's better than the 1800. I am very please with mpg and its overall performance.

I am sure mpg has increased some since I cleaned TB.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts