Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo how do you guys polish your billet rims ??

After doing it manual for some time i googled how other people do it and found these "polish cones" but they are expensive and shipping will be triple the price...

So i zoomed into the videos and figured it is just standard "dense open cell foam" like sponges, looked inside my garage and found paint-rollers made from open cell foam

Put one in my drill machine / low RPM and tested it, works GOOD enough for me and the rims looks like when i got the bike .... (Almost i mean)

uploadfromtaptalk1450199124900.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Good thinking. Well done.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There is a product called Solvol Autosol that I have been using for many years for polishing aluminum. Makes the Aluminum shine like chrome. I use a fabric polishing wheel on a drill. It takes a fair amount of "work" but the end result is worth it. I've polished a LOT of aluminum bike parts including wheels.

The one thing you need to do is ensure that if there is any clear coat on the item, it has to be removed using some kind of remover such as lacquer thinner, paint remover, etc before you attempt to polish. When done polishing, apply a thin coat of clear to protect.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Autosol-solvol-power-polishing-tools-Cars-Bikes/dp/B00IP1CIOC[/ame]

·
Premium Member
991 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Well done BP6666VR!
Makes me sorta glad mine are satin finish so I dont have to polish em :)
Somewhere down the line my triple clamps and lower fork legs are gonna need the clear stripped off and a proper polish as the clear has had coming up on 6 years of insect and stone hits and is breaking down in multiple spots.
As its not a "show bike" I can tolerate it being a bit 'grotty'
But I can forsee a time when I'll have to bite the bullet and end up with a highly polished finish similar to the Jackpots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts