Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK, I know, checking a motorcycle’s tire pressure is super easy. All you do is take out your handy tire gauge and apply it correctly to the wheel’s valve stem. Well, yes…and no. Tire manufacturers recommend that you check your bike’s air pressure when the rubber is cold – meaning at ambient temperature. If you’ve ridden your bike in the last few hours or have parked it in the sun, where the tires can absorb heat, the pressure will read artificially high.

Yes, we know that racers often check tire pressure immediately after they leave the track, but they’re actually using the pressure rise they’re getting out of their tire as a barometer for estimating the tire’s temperature and whether they’re leaving potential traction on the table.

Street riders have different needs. First, the air pressure helps the tire carcass maintain the proper profile, making for predictable handling in the varied environments encountered out in the real world. Second, proper air pressure helps keep the tires from overheating and cooking the life out of the rubber compounds. (A quick FYI, race bikes typically run lower tire pressures than street tires.) Third, your bike will get better gas mileage and longer tire life with proper inflation. Finally, both over- and under-inflated tires are more prone to failure than those using the correct air pressure.

So, before you ride your bike, check the tires’ pressure with an accurate gauge. Also, if you need to move your bike to get the valve stem to an easier place to use the gauge, take advantage of the movement to examine the tire’s tread for any sharp pokie things (a technical term) that could – or may have already – cause(ed) a leak. If it turns out that your tires do need air, an inexpensive bicycle pump can take care of upping the pressure a couple pounds without you even breaking a sweat.
Read more about How To Properly Check Your Motorcycle’s Tire Pressure at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
inexpensive bicycle pump can take care of upping the pressure a couple pounds without you even breaking a sweat.
I found out the hard way that the wally mart pressure gauges are not to be trusted. A free tip... get a couple of really good ones and test them both for accuracy. Keep your bike tires properly inflated always.

Thanks for the thread.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
From my experience, the cheaper the chuck or checker, the worse the seal it has on the stem, a long time ago I bought a snap one one with the hose and gauge built into it, quick change heads and adapters, pretty penny......after some time I lost it or misplaced it, bought a cheapo from meijers, it broke, got a bikemaster one, it was never accurate and the needle would jump past the little tab to hold it, till it broke. After a while my mother actually found my snap on one, she had borrowed it and never told me, I still have it and still use it, it has its own spot now on the wall in the garage.

I have seen some other makes that when they have come into us, they go right back, broke lens, needle snapped, or it went behind the tab that holds it.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Is this a Ducati picture too ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts