Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here, and didn't find anything searching for this topic.

I have a 2008 KP with what I think is the Stage 1 kit on it. It seems louder than my buddies 2007 with a stage 1 kit.

It's a bit loud for my liking. Loud enough to wake the neighbors at 6am on my way to work I think.

I wouldn't want to quiet it down much, just a bit if I could.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Short shift it when leaving the house in the morning..

If you could get it dyno tuned the exhaust noise can be much more controlled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short shifting is what I've been doing so far. I'll look into the dyno tuning. Where can I get that done and what does it generally cost?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Short shifting is what I've been doing so far. I'll look into the dyno tuning. Where can I get that done and what does it generally cost?
tuner

You will have to look around and ask around locally for that..Your dealer would be the one to flash your stock ECM or you will have to buy a Dynojet tuner..

When these bikes are tuned right, they are so much easier to ride slow..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure mine has been flashed, all the work was done at the same dealership I picked it up from. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
442 Posts
if you're willing to get the dyno tune you could try installing some sort of baffle in the exhaust, and then get the bike retuned. You may lose some top end but if done right gain some bottom end (also depends on the style of the baffle).

This is guaranteed to quiet down the bike, and there are many options on the market, even custom made is an option. I built a custom baffle for my bike's RPW pipes which were too loud for my taste and now I love them. Everyone's tastes are different.

Most important thing is to match the outside diameter of the baffle to the inside diameter of the pipe section where you'd install the baffle. Do a google search for exhaust baffles and you'll find a lot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
what stage 1 pipes did you get? if its just the slip-on, it would be a pain to make more quite, i would think anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what they are exactly. They were on the bike when I bought it. I'm going to pull the baffles that are in them and see what if any packing is in place and go from there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i put smartpartz hardcore quiet baffles in mine. it did the trick...Didn't make it stock quiet just enough that I enjoy it and so to my riding buddies and neighbors!

pull the current baffle you have and add them to it. You can even wrap them a bit if you want to really quiet it down.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the detail. Can you tell me what the bit is I need for the screw on the backside that holds the baffle in? It looks like a star bit but has the large center pin in it too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine was a Torx security bit, and a vice grips to pull it out! Not much to it, no baffle packing in it or able to be put in it.
I sent my pipe details and some pictures over to smartpartz to see what they have available.
Otherwise, I don't think it would be that hard to retrofit the stock baffles so they could be wrapped in packing like a glasspack.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you wrap them? Mine are hollow tubes as big as the pipes are...

·
Registered
102 Posts
mine had a core that I was able to wrap around. Find out who your pipes are made by and see if they have a quiet baffle. You can then wrap it for an even quieter sound

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been conversing with the smartpartz guys about their quiet baffle for the KP. The only problem I have with it is that to install it, I would need to grind off the 1/2 nub of pipe that sticks out of the stock baffle.

I sent a "suggestion" back to them about removing the flange and using a set screw to attach it into my pipe instead of the the flange mount they have. Haven't heard back from them though, maybe the didn't like my suggestion.

If I don't hear back, I think I might make my own "quiet baffle" and install with the set screw.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the tab comes off pretty quick. I pryed it off with a scrw driver. I had used these baffels in my other pipes so i knew I wanted to put them in

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll keep that in mind, though I think I'm going to go ahead and order the smartpartz baffles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts