Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you find yourself more and more often still in 1st gear after attempting a WOT 1-2 shift, or if it takes a lot of effort to downshift, this is probably the reason. After 50k miles of continual ass beating, mine eventually became impossible to shift into 2nd above 5k RPM.

This is a very simple procedure, but it always helps to know exactly what you're doing before starting.

Therefore, I'm going to break it down Barney style.

Drain most of your oil into a clean container. (Don't tell my wife. )

Remove the circle cover thingy that scratches easily.

Remove the smaller circle oil seal thingy.

Remove the O-ring with a pick, and clean the mating surface of deposites before installing the new one.

Remove the clutch cable ball end.

Remove the clutch shaft retaining bolt, and pull the shaft out. (Beavis and Butthead voice)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Mark the position of the shifter arm thingy with a sharpie if you dont want to adjust it again later. Remove the arm. You don't have to unbolt it from the rod like i did.

Remove the cover bolts.

If you didn't eat your wheaties this morning, the magnet will be a formitable opponent when removing the cover, but make sure you pull it straight off without going sideways. Also, be careful not to put much tension on the ?stator? wires. I simply laid the cover on my leg as i worked.

Simply pull the shifter out the back of the cover. Change the spring over to the new shifter. **Add a 7/16" washer between the cover and the C-clip when installing the new shifter to correct slop from the factory.** I tried adding 2 washers, and it was too tight. So only use 1 washer.

Inspect your star while it's apart. Mine looks ok i guess.

When you put the cover back on, hold the ratchet in position by the shaft.

If the gasket is a pain in the ass and won't stay in place, put a dab of RTV in a few spots.

Reverse process for installation.

'Merica

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
High fives to you Rumblebox for posting one of the best - if not the best - step-by-step photo-instruction I have seen here. It even tops a lot of videos. I will be printing this out and putting it in my bike's shop manual. Thanks again...Ric

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Should this be a sticky?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
ahhh so this is the bit thats sheared off on mine after the dog charged my bike today, causing me to slide along the ground on the l/h side of the bike:crying

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Gooooooooooooooood job rumblebox

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Bummer. R U OK?
Yeah mate, had good leather jacket, Kevlar jeans, proper boots and leather gloves on and wasnt going fast.
Sure sheared off that shifter shaft though.
Bikes gone to Victory for assessment/repair and I'm taking it easy.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
playing with your thingies

Motorbikerx- glad you are OK! Your posts have been helpful on this forum, I hope the bike can be resurrected or replaced with like kind!

O/P- Thanks so much! I've had the Factorypro kit (and a shift ratchet, for good measure) sitting in its box for months now. There is a vid of similar work on a kingpin, but your post and pics provide better views on the parts and how they fit together- I'll take straight talk and pics of tech terms any day!

I'd be interested in another sentence about lining up the ratchet and the rod- that sounds tricky given the magnet in play. "
When you put the cover back on, hold the ratchet in position by the shaft.
"

Still wondering a bit about extra steps to address the arm and spring on the F/Pro kit, but this gets me 95% of the way there.

Great looking Hammer, too....smooooth. In the first pic, I thought that the sidecover faded from chrome to white for a sec! Is the trailing arm assembly color/powder coated? Maybe its the light. Cool tho.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Motorbikerx- glad you are OK! Your posts have been helpful on this forum, I hope the bike can be resurrected or replaced with like kind!

O/P- Thanks so much! I've had the Factorypro kit (and a shift ratchet, for good measure) sitting in its box for months now. There is a vid of similar work on a kingpin, but your post and pics provide better views on the parts and how they fit together- I'll take straight talk and pics of tech terms any day!

I'd be interested in another sentence about lining up the ratchet and the rod- that sounds tricky given the magnet in play.

Still wondering a bit about extra steps to address the arm and spring on the F/Pro kit, but this gets me 95% of the way there.

Great looking Hammer, too....smooooth. In the first pic, I thought that the sidecover faded from chrome to white for a sec! Is the trailing arm assembly color/powder coated? Maybe its the light. Cool tho.
Thanks mate,
after talking on phone with Rob the Vic mechanic he says my bike will be repaired , he has a couple of bikes ahead of me but hopefully will be able to send an official repair quote to my insurer today.
I have an 'agreed value' on my bike at what I consider its worth and takes into account my performance and comfort mods.
That high value would make it a lot harder to 'write off' than if it were 'current market value'...but hey Im paying the premium for that 'agreed value', also given the model and colour and accessories my bike is unique and irreplacable.
Gonna be a happy day when I'm cracking that throttle again and swooping into some bends!
I'll try and get Rob to do the 'slop washer' fix, when he fits the new ratchet to mine too.
Something I intended doing a year go myself but after revising my shifting technique it seems irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Done

Alright one false start on install, but have new shift ratchet, helper-washer and factory pro shift kit installed.

False start came from trying to install cover and arm assembly onto the primary, I had no return on the shifting and had to pull the cover, set the ratchet into place in the primary, and then slide the cover over that. I used a soft plastic pry tool on the magnet side to provide some offset against the magnetism and help keep the cover parallel to avoid binding on the two shafts. And also from using a washer on the rod that was too thick.

So that squandered fifty bucks in oil and another fifty in gasketry.
;-)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I need to do this repair as I just dumped my bike in the parking lot this morning and sheared off the shifter shaft. My question is this, how do I install this back into the primary to make sure it works properly? Is it supposed to slide into anything? Should I install this part and then slide the cover over it to ensure everything mates up properly? I am going to replace the shaft only (and the gasket)...not installing any aftermarket stuff...honestly I wouldn't even know what to replace with aftermarket. Bike only has 6k miles.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
??

So, when you remove the shifter ratchet can you tell there is something wrong with it? In the first picture is there something there that shows its bad? i.e. freeplay or excessive wear?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts