Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vote straight ticket Republican in 2020 National elections. Put the Republican's back in power in Congress. Put 12 more Republicans in the Senate. Then there will be absolutely no way any Republican bill can be defeated for at least 2 years. The Democrats can't do squat to Our President and mountains of progress can be accomplished for our Nation. If we could keep control for 4 years we could have a conservative court system nation wide. This would keep our nation moral and sane for many years down the road.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
That's great plan, with one glaring exception; Our cities are so solidly blue with little hope they will vote for a Republican even if every Dimocrat was proven to be a child molester. There are those states that have opted out of the electoral college - 19 I think. All blue states, of course. I feel as though I'm standing on railroad tracks thinking I'm going to stop the train that's bearing down on me.
Our only hope it that all the shenanigans the Dimocrats have been pulling will turn enough traditionally Dem voters into Rep voters.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Have there really been states that have "opted out of the electoral college"? Can you link to an article about this? That would not seem to pass muster per the U.S. Constitution which mandates the election of president bu the electoral college.

I thought the state changes related to this were only to pro-rate the number of electoral college votes from a state based on the popular election result in that state rather than the historically more common approach of giving 100% of that state's electoral college votes to the candidate who has the greatest percent of the votes.

Unlike the constitutionally required use of the electoral college, the way the E.C. votes from a state are divided up is not addressed in the U.S. Constitution.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Sorry to say, I'm weak on the details. I live in one of those states. Here's a synopsis of the bill, SB870....
Adds Oregon to the National Popular vote compact. States belonging to the compact agree to award their electoral college votes to the winner of the national popular vote. The compact will take effect once states representing 270 electoral college votes join.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Okay, so some of the states are not refusing to use the electoral college which is mandated by the U.S. Constitution. Rather, some states are choosing different manners in which to award their electoral college votes. The method or process by which states allocate their electoral college votes is left to the states and is not mandated by the U.S. Constitution. There have always been varying methods for allotting electoral college votes including 1) Popular vote winner in a state gets 100% of that states E.C. votes and 2) Each candidate receives a proportion of the E.C. votes in a state based on the proportion of popular votes won in that state. Of these two, the first is much more common.

States choosing to award 100% of their E.C. votes to the winner of the nationwide popular vote is certainly unusual but would not violate anything in the U.S. Constitution and would not appear to properly described as a state "opted out of the electoral college."

I'm pro-Trump but I'm even more pro-state's rights so I would be loathe to see someone tell the various states that they must allot their E.C. votes in some particular manner.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
The E.C. is supposed to make so rural areas get a vote too because the population centers (cities) would otherwise decide who gets elected. I'd like to see the E.C. used to elect governors too. Cities, for some strange reason, are infested with gibmedat leftists so they vote for whomever promises them the best ice cream.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I'd like to see a county-to-county electoral college. That way the counties that cities are in have the same voting weight as counties with small populations. The current system elects state legislators that the urban voters favor. Also elected, are the candidates the powerful teachers' unions favor.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Electric votes are easy to steal or change, etc etc, so you have 100*0.9 is less votes Tben 100*1.1 that's why your government like them

Andre using TaPaTaLk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts