Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

How-To Video: convert your cable clutch to hydraulic clutch

22K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  cdragonm 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm not sure where to post this thread since it will work for most Vic bikes, not just my Jackpot, so for that I apologize in advance. Mods/Admins please move to the correct spot if need be.

I made this video to show you how to convert your Vic from cable to hydraulic clutch. It's a very straight forward install in terms of removing the old and installing the new. The instructions Victory provides with the conversion kit are pretty easy to follow except for trying to see the illustration on the cable routing too well. So I had to do what worked for me. Maybe this video will help someone who's wondering what all is involved and how simple the mod is to do. Anyone can do it.

IMPORTANT INFO: Anyone doing this conversion to make sure your slave cylinder rod is FULLY extended (rested position) prior to bleeding!! The only issue I ran into on doing the conversion was when it came time to bleed the system. I bled and bled and bled like a madman several times yet my clutch lever wasn't actuating the slave cylinder rod. Overnight I went and checked my bike hoping it was just some massive air bubble that needed to vent but then my lever was ROCK HARD and you could not pull it in but maybe 1/4 of the travel. So I knew something was messed up. Basically my actuator rod was fully seated therefore no fluid could push the rod any further thus not allowing the clutch to operate. Simple fix but easy to overlook and it DOES NOT mention anything of the sort in the instructions. It only needed to move out a little bit but that's all it takes to throw a wrench in the project.

Big thanks to Jack from Max Motorsports Victory dealership for coming to my house today, on his only off day mind you, to help diagnose what was cuasing me the issue!!

Clutch action is like smoooooth butter now. Recommend this mod to anyone! Ditch that old tech cable + emergency spare clutch cable BS. You'll love it!!

Victory part number for the kit 2876299-266 (the kit says for 08+ but as you can see in the vid, it will work on the older bikes too ;) )

Here's the video. I shot it with my Canon 7D DSLR in 1080p then downconverted to 720p for youtube use. You will have to watch it on the YT site if you want to see it in HD. Very easy to see what to do though for the install in the vid.

-Kenny

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice video. Thanks for documenting and sharing! thumb up

#3 ·
Great video kenny..... I've been on the fence to get the kit since I know it's only a matter of time before my clutch cable snaps (2006 hammer + 22K miles)........

Can you post the part number for the kit + cost?

Thanks for the video again!!!

P.S. very nice and clear video... that cam you have is bad a$$....

cheers

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, glad y'all like the video!

I forgot to add the part number to my first post, so I've now added it. MSRP is $399 but you can get it considerably cheaper from other places. Use Google or you can PM me and I can give you some links to a few places to check into for getting the kit about $50+ less. My local dealer gave me 15% off for instance. ;)

BBob, that's what is so great. There is no adjusting!! Maintenance for the hydraulic system is to of course flush the fluid maybe every 2 years, sooner if the fluid is discolored of course. The other maintenance is to disassemble and lube the lever every 2 years or so, which is easy to do.

#6 ·
Nicely done....thanks for taking the time in putting this together.

#7 ·
Thanks man. I would of hit you up to get the kit but I saw your post after buying mine from my local dealer. cheers

#8 ·
Good Job. Now you never have to adjust the clutch again.
Does it pull easier now?
What size are the banjo bolts? The only reason I ask is cause Barnett has different length lines.

#10 ·
Not sure on the size of the banjo bolts.

Clutch pull is smooth like butter!! Hard to compare it to my old cable setup as my lever wasn't hard to pull like others I've read. If I had to guess it feels easier to pull than my old setup. But I will say the engagement and just overall feel is much much smoother with the hyd clutch than with the cable. More linear feeling I guess you could say.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
Would love to know if it would work on a XC. Is there any info on the length of the brake line used? The XC's handlebars come quite a bit further out from the triple trees than other Vic's so I'm wondering if this would even work, thanks - nice tut! thumb up

#11 ·
sounds great looks like anouther mod to add. do they have lines for 12 inch apes.

#12 ·
brake

Ken Nice video. Did you change your brake so it would match? I have a 2007 Hammer the brake is square and the clutch is teardroped in shape. Thanks Chippy

#13 ·
Ken Nice video. Did you change your brake so it would match? I have a 2007 Hammer the brake is square and the clutch is teardroped in shape. Thanks Chippy
Glad you liked the vid. As of now im still in the stock brake res but my plan is to buy an 08 brake res later down the road when spare funds allow. Right now my bike needs a new set of tires as the next order of business. Going to go with the metz 260 rear next go around. But yea I plan on getting the matching brake res at some point this year.

#14 ·
Thanks Kenny for the video...picked up the kit from NOEMTZ (thanks for quick shipment NOEMTZ!) and converted my 06 hammer to hydraulic this afternoon. Took about an hour once everything was off and routed properly since I have the regular fly v-shaped bars....

Great tip on pulling the clutch rod all the way out before bleeding the line...made it real quick....a few pumps and loosen bleed screw and most bubbles were out within 5 or 6 cycles....

Smooth clutch action now and can't believe how everything fit very well considering it's an 08+ kit.........your video made it that much quicker! Thanks again.....
cheers

#16 · (Edited)
This is what I like to hear (read....you know what I mean)!!

Glad it went smooth for you and if my vid helped well then it served it purpose thumb up

Makes you wished you had done it sooner huh? :D

This is deffinately on my to-do list, I prefer a hydraulic clutch for obvious reasons. My only problem I have all-chrome hand controls. Can I get this kit in chrome, does anybody know??
Some places sell a polished master cylinder as part of a swap program. Out of respect on the forum I won't post their link as I'm not sure if they are vendors or not. You can google though. You can get the part plated but you will need to have some plugs made to fill in the sight glass hole (yes sight glass will need to come out). The polished ones look very very nice and almost chrome. If you can live with mirror polished I'd definitely go that route versus getting some plugs made not to mention dealing with the whole sight glass issue. I wanted mine chrome but in the end I just didn't want the thought of the sight glass one day start leaking brake fluid onto my paint (if I still had the bike). So I opted for the black stock finish but had I kept the bike I would of ended up swapping for a polished unit along with matching polished 08+ brake res.

#18 ·
#19 ·
Any idea if the Hydraulic change out will allow you to engage faster? I have that I have to let the clutch almost 1/2 way out before I notice any drag or need to throttle. I keep thinking I'm in neutral it's such a long pull and throttling way too soon rev'ing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.