Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for an example of how to connect a set of driving/passing lamps to the wiring in the headlight bucket.

Can anyone point me to the right place? I have a set of lamps that have 2 wires each, power and ground. I'd like to minimize the wire length and power them from the headlight bucket.

2008 Kingpin Tour

·
Registered
931 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, i either wired the power the low beam, or to a switch with a relay from the battery on my old bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
running lights

I just wired a set of leds on my cc and called my dealer about any suggestions, he led me to a yellow wire with a pink tracer that I got to throw the headlight bucket. used as a power feed to my switch. works great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks popalaris.1, I'll look for that in my bucket! I've got the lights mounted, I had some chrome brackets, and I bolted them to the top bolt of my lowers on the fork. Hopefully they are far enough away from the headlight to make a nice triangle of light.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
ax.jpg this is how it should be done with it's own power fused. 86 goes to the power on the low beam power side to turn on the relay. The lights that you add should be fused and have it's own power. If you wire it to the low beam you will pop a fuse.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gibson!
Does 86 go to low-beam power regardless of fog vs driving lights?
I was thinking I would like to have a switch, just in case I want to turn them off manually.

It is interesting how many different diagrams you can find online regarding relays.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mounted pictures

Finally got them mounted and wired.

I opened up the headlight bucket and found what looks like a headlight connector. Tested for power etc and found that it was hot when the ignition was on, and off when it was off and also off when high beams were on! So I just used that connector for my ground and power, adding a 15amp fuse on the power side. Nice and neat, fits right in next to my garage door opener.

Lights off, pointed the right side light a bit off to the right to illuminate the side of the road better:

Lights on, I had to move my blinkers up a bit to get out of the glow of the lights:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Finally got them mounted and wired.

I opened up the headlight bucket and found what looks like a headlight connector. Tested for power etc and found that it was hot when the ignition was on, and off when it was off and also off when high beams were on! So I just used that connector for my ground and power, adding a 15amp fuse on the power side. Nice and neat, fits right in next to my garage door opener.

Lights off, pointed the right side light a bit off to the right to illuminate the side of the road better:

Lights on, I had to move my blinkers up a bit to get out of the glow of the lights:
I love the lower wind deflectors you have there, would look great on my Kingpin too - where did you get them from?

Scott

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They came on the bike, I think they were from Victory. Sorry!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks Gibson!
Does 86 go to low-beam power regardless of fog vs driving lights?
I was thinking I would like to have a switch, just in case I want to turn them off manually.

It is interesting how many different diagrams you can find online regarding relays.

It doesn't matter if 85 is ground or 86 is ground. If you want to manually switch them, run the other one (85 or 86) to a switch and wire that to a power source that only comes on when the key is turned on.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Subscribed, very interesting topic

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts