Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for ideas. I got these awesome looking Rusty Jones dash bezels and realized once I got them they have no mounting system or tabs like the stock bezels. So I called RJ for advice and was told he "glues" them on with JB Weld Epoxy(really).....After some thought, I don't want to do that(I'm sure I don't have to go into the reasons) So, I spoke with WitchDoctor's today to see if they had any ideas(which they did not) or if I could return them. WD would take them back but I had to pay return shipping and a 20% restock fee totaling ~$35, which I am in noway going to eat.
Back on topic, I'm keeping the bezels and want to use them without gluing. This is what they look. I was thinking about drilling a few holes and using finished hex bolts with small butterfly nuts to hook into the dash. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Ditto on the double sided tape. Cut some thin strips (they make all sorts of thicknesses) apply in the grooves, then onto current bezels.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I bought similar ones, used here. I used clear silicone in about 10-12 spots on each one. Seems to be holding out in my cold garage. I agree the 3M molding tape would work as well. Too bad they didn't use some sort of fastener though.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
About 6 or 7 dabs of clear silicone hold each one of mine on.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I like the idea of silicone; it's secure, yet easy and clean to remove.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe somewhere in Witchdoctors whitewall choppers dash bezel install vid you could get some ideas.
https://youtu.be/8wr6Rfw3PTM
That's where I got the idea to drill and use a finished hex-head screw with a butterfly nut ;)

I bought similar ones, used here. I used clear silicone in about 10-12 spots on each one. Seems to be holding out in my cold garage. I agree the 3M molding tape would work as well. Too bad they didn't use some sort of fastener though.
Really, the silicone is working for you two...? Are you using an adhesive silicone like this: Permatex RTV ?
3M double sided tape would be the easiest way to go but no matter what the stuff is always visible between the surfaces and since this is a cosmetic part I don't want that.

thanks for the advice.

·
13,002 Posts
clear silicone I think. Drilling holes you can never change your look. Double side tape will let go in time from water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Poor design if it doesn't mimic stock bezel mounting. And poor advertising if the companies (both RJC and WitchDoctors) don't put a disclaimer making one aware of the fact that they don't have mounting tabs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Poor design if it doesn't mimic stock bezel mounting. And poor advertising if the companies (both RJC and WitchDoctors) don't put a disclaimer making one aware of the fact that they don't have mounting tabs.
I don't know if it's new or not, but WD's site does say it requires silicone...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if it's new or not, but WD's site does say it requires silicone...
I missed that little blurb when I ordered them :rolleyes:....which is pretty much why WD wants a restock fee.
Too be honest I don't want to return the bezels. Since silicone adhesive seems to be deemed the way to attach these, that's what I'm going with. If they fall off going down the road...
YOU ALL ARE TO BLAME!!!!

LOL

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Yup... get all bent out of shape at the supplier when it clearly states they are to be put on with adhesive. Somehow not reading the whole ad makes it all Jon's fault and you were misled.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have tried to stick some different things with the 3m tape. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I tried to stick a plate I made out of light alum and put a parking decal on to my windshield. No go a couple weeks later it fell I guess do to the heat and sun.
On my recently acquired XCT I have a spot on the dash you can tell something was attached with silicone. By the size I am guessing maybe a military challenge coin. So I may just look for one and attach in the same place.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I have plastic bed rail covers on my puck up. Everything was decreased and perfectly clean when I installed them back in illinois. The Arizona sun and heat just breaks the seal loose and they pull up and curl. No solution I've found yet to cure it. Maybe silicone huh?

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
I have tried to stick some different things with the 3m tape. Sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I tried to stick a plate I made out of light alum and put a parking decal on to my windshield. No go a couple weeks later it fell I guess do to the heat and sun.
On my recently acquired XCT I have a spot on the dash you can tell something was attached with silicone. By the size I am guessing maybe a military challenge coin. So I may just look for one and attach in the same place.
Try some adhesive promoter the next time you use the tape. It will hang on much better.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Norton-636425-04624-SpeedGrip-Adhesion-Promoter/dp/B003TQBMCM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1453617430&sr=1-1&keywords=Norton+636425-04624+SpeedGrip[/ame]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts