Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I'm here to get some feed back on why I should purchase a Victory. I've been riding Buell's and Harley's for quite a while and have an interest in Victory. I'm sure when I go in this weekend to test ride the Octane and High Ball I will get most of my questions answered. But for now, I have a few to ask. How is the reliability of the newer models? Any Achilles heals that I should know about? I have read of the issues prior to 2011 and understand that they have, for the most part been resolved, but that aside, are there new one?
I checked out Victory's website and noticed the cam (or cams, not sure if there engine is a twin cam?) has three lobes. And when they put in the specs sheet 106/6 v twin I took that as being a six piston with 4 valves per head? Help me understand the power plant. I know the one model has got the SOHC, but I am not interested in that right now.
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not like to bash Harley's because I have owned and enjoyed them in the past! I am glad to see the AMERICAN motorcycle industry (Harley, Victory and Indian) are making some GREAT bike!

With that said, there is always going to be the comparison to Harley, because they are the Standard. Check out the videos below.

[/URL]

The Transmission issues were isolated to the 1999 - 2000 models on the 92 inch.

While the 08-10 transmissions are louder, they are still very reliable. It is not uncommon to see several member here that have well over 100k on thier bike and only required Basic Maintenance (tires, oil, brakes) to get there.

If you are looking for a fun, reliable, bike at a great value Victory is the way to go.

I have owned a 1999 Ultra that had 100k on it when I final sold it (I put 20k miles on it), but the cost to keep that bike going was far more than basic maintenance.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I would love to have a Harley .... as a second bike ...

Victory does not carry tools for repair , but I do, coz I ride a lot with Harleys and Ducati etc ...

Maintenance on Victory is as easy as pie ...

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Funny , the fella doesn't mention when the $2.49 cent snap ring fails and it takes out 3 gears an idler shaft , and costs about 3 grand to fix ......:grin

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
ha ha ha ... yes Mags ... it seems that Vic's are showing their shortcomings too

on the other form one guy had HUGE trouble with a OCTANE ... the engine had to be completely stripped.

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
PS if you want reliable then JAP bikes is the way to go ... just a joke, no need to hauler

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Funny , the fella doesn't mention when the $2.49 cent snap ring fails and it takes out 3 gears an idler shaft , and costs about 3 grand to fix ......:grin
LILMAGS - Your experience with your Transmission issues might be a good thread to point the OP to. There is no perfect bike out there including Victory.

With that said, I do not see the issue that you had as being a wide spread problem, do you?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
LILMAGS - Your experience with your Transmission issues might be a good thread to point the OP to. There is no perfect bike out there including Victory.

With that said, I do not see the issue that you had as being a wide spread problem, do you?
Mine is the third one my dealer has done , I see on facebook at least 3-4 others have been done by KevinX . I don't have numbers on this issue globally .

Don't get me wrong , I may "ZING" Victory from time to time but I am an ardent supporter and will not ride anything else . I Defend the brand at all costs ...:D

·
12,970 Posts
The videos get my dander up. There not true there a sales tool. It's like comparing Chevy to Ford. Yes there are good points on all bikes and bad.
The videos are all one sided for sure.
He talks about the primary chain. It makes the primary quieter then gear to gear. Now this is a 2010 video so if you compare those years and up HD starter can be out of the bike in about 20 minutes and the starter can be fixed in less then a half hour and go back in. You need special tools for Victory and it takes longer to get to the starter. Yes HD has oil in primary and in tranie but you only need to change it one a year. As far as the stator goes. Vic has there mounted to the outer primary and HD has there's mounted to the inside of motor. Big deal its like Chevy having their alternator on the left of the motor and Ford is on the right. Yes HD has more gaskets but then you don't have to split the motor to get at the oil pump. HD you pull the cam cover and the oil pump is right there.
The videos are all one sided don't buy into the BS he says.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The videos get my dander up. There not true there a sales tool. It's like comparing Chevy to Ford. Yes there are good points on all bikes and bad.
The videos are all one sided for sure.
He talks about the primary chain. It makes the primary quieter then gear to gear. Now this is a 2010 video so if you compare those years and up HD starter can be out of the bike in about 20 minutes and the starter can be fixed in less then a half hour and go back in. You need special tools for Victory and it takes longer to get to the starter. Yes HD has oil in primary and in tranie but you only need to change it one a year. As far as the stator goes. Vic has there mounted to the outer primary and HD has there's mounted to the inside of motor. Big deal its like Chevy having their alternator on the left of the motor and Ford is on the right. Yes HD has more gaskets but then you don't have to split the motor to get at the oil pump. HD you pull the cam cover and the oil pump is right there.
The videos are all one sided don't buy into the BS he says.
I don't disagree with every point but, you are saying that you would rather have:
The Stator on the inside of the engine?
Three oils instead of one?
a chain primary instead of gear?
Cam Chain tensioner the size of a quarter

All of those items are a better design on a victory than they are on a Harley Twin Cam.

I agree that the guy is going a little over board, but the design of the 106 is better than the TC.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
I have had my 2010 XR since March of 2010 and have had zero problems* - a couple "issues" yes, but nothing I couldn't fix myself. I'm 80 and do all my own work, even tire changes. These things are so easy to work on compared to other bikes and I have had quite a few starting in 1952. I am extremely satisfied with my XR and hope it hangs in there as long as I do. BTW, if you have a 30" inseam or more, you will appreciate how roomy the Cross bikes are.
Engine mods are cheap and more effective, compared to H-D. And there's a lot of help here just for the asking.
* I've had the main breaker trip and not reset - that's the only weal spot I know. A $3.50 NAPA replacement cured that issue.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There were issues prior to 2011? I'm been trolling this forum for four years now, and can't recall any chatter to that effect. And the only thing that's happened to my '11 XR in 26000 miles is a blown fork seal...about 19000 miles ago. Well, I guess the battery finally went tits up, but that's not really got anything to do with the bike.

I do have that lovely noisy torque compensator, but it doesn't seem to cause any trouble. And the sounds aren't scary, except the other day when I tried a 3rd gear launch :ltr:

In Mags' case, I would like to see some good data on which model years were affected by the snap ring in the trans.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback. I will own one sooner than later. Those videos were one sided, but with that said, they had some good information. I won't get rid of my 92' FXSTC with a new S&S build in it. It's my project since the first day.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for the feedback. I will own one sooner than later. Those videos were one sided, but with that said, they had some good information. I won't get rid of my 92' FXSTC with a new S&S build in it. It's my project since the first day.
When you have some skin in the bike, it makes you appreciate it that much more. Those S&S motors are really good stuff. They made a lot of money being a power AND reliability upgrade over the stock TC.

If I had all the money I care for, I would have a Victory, Harley and an Indian.

For, me having one bike, the Victory was the best bike I could afford, and it has actually turned out to be a better bike than I thought it might be.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
For more decades than most of you have been alive, I have had more that one bike. At least two: A country and a city bike. But my XR is so unintimidating that, now for the first time that I can recollect, I am down to one bike for everything from touring to errand running. And I'm liking that a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts