Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awhile back, the Victory demo bike truck rolled into town and I took out a 2011 Cross Country for a spin, I had my wife on the back, we're your typical middle-aged couple, not super over-weight but not rail thin either, just average I guess.

I was expecting a pretty plush ride from what I had read but to be honest with you, we were both pretty under-whelmed by the rear suspension, it wasn't all that much better then my Vulcan 1600 Classic's. We took a hammering whenever I hit a minor pothole.

The Vision I later took out seemed better, I didn't think that I'd like that bike at all but despite its visual design, that thing was really impressive!

I'm chocking up the Cross Country's hard ride to it possibly not having enough (or any) air in the air-assisted shocks. Or maybe it was defective. But my money is on not having the proper amount of air in the shocks.

What do you guys think? Are you getting a plush enough ride riding around two-up?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I ride two up with a trunk frequently and have found that if you get the air just right it is a great ride. It does seem like I have add more air than I did when the bike was new.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Shock was too low or empty. Take another demo and ask them to pump it up to the recommended pressure. Be honest about your weight and/or combined weight and you'll notice a huge difference. When you get the pressures right you'll feel bumps on the front that you won't notice at all on the rear. If you are going to demo in the twisties add 10-12lbs and it'll still ride great but handl a littl better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, as far as our combined weight, it's probably just under 400 pounds and this particular bike did have the CC trunk installed on it which added even more weight.

I'll bet that they have most of the bikes set up for a solo rider anyway. I didn't see anybody else during that couple of hours taking a pillion along. Most demos seem to be solo riders.

I just couldn't accept that that was the "real" Victory CC riding experience. I'll have to give it another go whenever I get another opportunity.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wife and I are probably a bit over you and your's. I run ~60lbs in the rear shock and love the ride. I came off a V Star 1300 where the wife was done after 2 hours. We went all day on the XR with no complaints.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I'll bet the shock wasn't pumped up correctly. I took a XC with trunk out last year and it almost ripped off the rear bumper when I drove out of the driveway. We found out a week later at another demo tour that the shock didn't have any air in it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an 11 XC. I set the shock at 9 for me and 34 when my wife rides with me. Very comfortable. However, my rear shock started leaking fluid and I now have no rear shock. Covered under warrantee and a new shock will be installed on Wednesday morning. I could find nothing in any of the forums about this being a problem. Vic shipped the shock with no questions asked so I wnder if this issue has come up before.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ride solo on my XC and the ride is excellent. It is as good as my GL1800 Goldwing and a great improvement from my 2009 Kingpin Low (the ride was terrible).

The dealer stated they set it at for 375 lb. I have ordered the pump and will adjust it to a lower setting next week, since I always ride solo on the XC.

JC

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd say it was the air pressure in the shock as well. When I bought my bike I thought the same thing about the rear suspension. Then I decided to check the rear suspension pressure. Well the dealer sent me home on a bike with 0psi in the rear shock. Needless to say after I put the recommended air pressure back there it not rides like a dream. Thats why I never trust anyone else to work on my bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yep, agree with all... When I picked up my new XC, no air in the shock. Once I pumped it up following the guidelines, it rides much nicer than any of my other bikes.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the rear shock/suspension set-up is exactly the same between the Vision and the X bikes with them sharing most parts so I would guess, other than maybe the difference in wheelbase, your ride comparison between the two was probably all about the air adjustment between one and the other. Go ride them again but check the air pressure in each and make sure it's exactly the same to compare apples.

·
Registered
221 Posts
service guys always seem to forget to put air in the rear suspension...
I keep the hand pump in the bags now, and always check/set it before I drive off the dealer lot.

With the pump in the bags, I can quick adjust for riding 2-up also... :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've owned my XC for well over a year now and the rear suspension is probably the best on the market IMHO. I guarantee the one you rode was not aired up anywhere near what it should be for the weight being carried. When the shock is aired up properly for the weight being carried this baby rides like a dream. You can make it as soft or firm as you like, can't beat it.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Humbucker,
Invest in one of those hand pumps with a gauge and bleed valve specially designed to inflate shocks. I got mine for $40 and it is invaluable for adjusting the rear shock relative to the load. Weigh yourselves with your riding gear on and don't underestimate what's in the cases and fill the shock according to the chart. I find Vic's recommendations are spot on for great ride. I would never trust a shop or anyone else to put the proper air in my shock or tires. When I do it, I know exactly what's in them.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I have an 11 XC. I set the shock at 9 for me and 34 when my wife rides with me. Very comfortable. However, my rear shock started leaking fluid and I now have no rear shock. Covered under warrantee and a new shock will be installed on Wednesday morning. I could find nothing in any of the forums about this being a problem. Vic shipped the shock with no questions asked so I wnder if this issue has come up before.
Those pressures are too low; even without the trunk. I wonder if the shock bottomed out a few times and got damaged in the process.

Good reminder to check psi. Thanks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Those pressures are too low; even without the trunk. I wonder if the shock bottomed out a few times and got damaged in the process.

Good reminder to check psi. Thanks.
BBob,
Those pressures are exactly what the chart says to use. My wife and are are not heavy people. But thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don't forget you're wearing a lot of gear plus I use my bags like an SUV, it all adds weight.
Bikendad. Fully dressed and sitting on the bike I weigh just about 170lbs. Accoring to the chart I should not be using any air. I carry about 10 lbs. of stuff in the bags. Thanks for your comment.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts