Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Thanks for the link to the article, very informative. Added it to my motorcycle folder in case I ever need it.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thank you for the information. Saved to the Victory folder on my computer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is absolutely a keeper article. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
thank you

a great read for sure + i surely lack in the electronics side of bikes or cages. learning to do things yourself can save big $$$ + being retired i have lots of time to be patient!!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Yup, great article. I'll print it out and store it in my Victory Service Manual.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep - been there!

Had first hand experience with this very subject late last year. I'd had a 2003 model SV1000 Suzuki languishing in the back of the shed for a couple of years after picking it up cheap - you know how it is!

Anyway I decided it was time to get it going and get it registered so I could have some fun with it. Of course, the fuel tank was full of rubbish as a result of my stupidity in leaving unleaded fuel go off in it. Cleaned out the tank and the fuel pump and got her going but there was a miss and splutter when holding a steady throttle at around 3000rpm, like when commuting.

Pulled out the injectors and had them professionally cleaned and put in a new set of spark plugs. No difference. Checked everything else I could but the problem persisted.

I then started thinking about the Throttle Position Sensor, and had a chat with my brother about TPS issues he'd had with his Moto Guzzi Lemans. He described the symptoms which sounded somewhat similar to what my SV was doing.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered a new genuine TPS from my local Suzuki dealer. Only about 90 bucks which I was prepared to gamble.

Put the new sensor in and Lo and behold she was like a brand spankin' new one! It's an absolute joy to ride now - I love it!

Anyway, keep your TPS in mind if your bike starts running erratically on a steady throttle once it's a few years old.

Russ.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading your post, I'm going to go ahead and replace mine. Running erratically, surging, oscillating.

·
Registered
211 Posts
After reading your post, I'm going to go ahead and replace mine. Running erratically, surging, oscillating.
Hi BB, if you do replace your TPS yourself, grab a scriber or sharpie and mark the exact position of your original one before you remove it. They have a range of adjustment available and are very sensitive to even the slightest of movements.

The Suzuki TPS is secured with a small Allen head bolt, I haven't looked to see what the Vic has. A neat feature of the SV1000 is a 'service plug' under the seat which allows you to use a jumper wire to set the optimum TPS position. It brings up a little bar graph on the instrument panel which is used to set the position.

I don't know if the Vic has a similar feature but if you mark the position of your old one and set the new sensor to that, you'll be well and truly in the ballpark. If you do a bit of googling first you should find the exact info you'll need.

**Edit: Maybe I should have done the smart thing and read the article attached to the link in the initial post - all the info is there!

Cheers,

Russ.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since it's almost impossible to buy the sensor only and the whole throttle body is 350 bones, gonna have to cogitate on it.

·
13,263 Posts
cars use TPS take old one to NAPA or some place and see if they can match it up

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Gonna keep a marker on this thread, my Vegas just clocked 133,000 kms after a 2100kms trip.
Running great?

Reactions: Wickman

·
Registered
259 Posts
How funny. I just posted a thread with the symptoms of "Idels great. Accelerates great. Noticeably missing if holding a steady speed like at 3000 rpm" sounds like I've found the problem. Thanks for making this thread. I'll head to NAPA to find which one I need. Unless someone knows for sure which one I need for a 2004 kingpin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts