Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've read a bunch of threads about chirping belts.
Mine seems to be adjusted right per the manual but I get a lot of humming or moaning sounds coming from the rear.
Is this the belt or pulley or are my bearings going??
TIA,
Dan

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
have you lowered the rear at all? if so did you adjust after?

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I had a belt chirp for a while. I was able to minimize it so it only did it when cold or damp. Then I changed my tires. I have YET to get it to chirp at all now. I wonder... In order for me to get my wheel into the bead breaker, I had to remove the pulley. I had a 20% chance of putting the pulley back on in the same orientation; chances are I didn't :) I wonder if that had something to do with it.....

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Mine seems to be adjusted right per the manual but I get a lot of humming or moaning sounds coming from the rear.
TIA,
Dan
I've got this, that is the sound of your bike, either happy or sad... it will moan less and hum more if you keep it clean and ride it a lot. You're welcome. :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Maybe it doesn't know the words? Sorry, my bad! I have a small rub sound at very slow speed, used to have belt chirp big time - I managed to align it out ( not as easy as they claim) chirp hasn't come back!!! I have bike on rack at home and looked at the brake pads / rotor / pulley and everything else under there and I can see no reason for the sound. Humm could be from tire? How many miles on it? I know the Elite E3's I had on my Nomad started to hum and then growl after they were slightly over 1/2 worn.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not lowered.
It has a fairly new E3 on it. Don't think its from the tire.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Not lowered.
It has a fairly new E3 on it. Don't think its from the tire.
You may need louder pipes.
I rode my Vegas without a helmet for a few miles last year and noticed all sorts of different mechanical sounds.
With the open face helmet and loud exhausts all is sweet:)

·
Registered
742 Posts
I rode my Vegas without a helmet for a few miles last year and noticed all sorts of different mechanical sounds.
Good point. I've noticed different "noises" depending on whether or not my face shield is up or down. That being said, have you checked your rear wheel bearing for play?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I get a lot of humming or moaning sounds coming from the rear.
Have you checked to make sure your wife or girl friend hadn't jumped on with you? .....
just sayin' :p

·
Registered
193 Posts
TIA,
Dan
"I get a lot of humming or moaning sounds coming from the rear."

You DO mean from the bike, right? Otherwise I would suggest maybe cut back on the chili. :ltr: ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds like your belt may be a little too tight. Also, E3s are noisy when cornering.
I do think it's the belt but everyone with belt issues talks about chirping so that's what has me wondering...
Gonna loosen it some ans see...

·
13,263 Posts
If you can get the rear wheel off the ground sit behind the bike and spin the wheel forward.
Now look down the belt is the belt straight. If you see a slight curve in the belt its not aligned correct.
Look to see where the belt is on the pulley. It should be in the middle or just off the right edge.
If the belt is touching the left or right side of the pulley its not adjusted correct.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you can get the rear wheel off the ground sit behind the bike and spin the wheel forward.
Now look down the belt is the belt straight. If you see a slight curve in the belt its not aligned correct.
Look to see where the belt is on the pulley. It should be in the middle or just off the right edge.
If the belt is touching the left or right side of the pulley its not adjusted correct.
Thanks, will do that tonight. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
touching the outside of pulley....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts