Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so proud of myself! I've been so p*&d off getting gas that I didn't even want to ride, to use gas. So the other day (after about 30 fill ups), instead of putting the nozzle in tilted (and cussing Polaris for not moving it to the right), I put it about straight up and down, maybe a little to the right. No splashing, and I could go full bore. Wow! However, now to make a plan of what to do to keep my keys from scratching the tank with the door open (yeah I know about those $150 caps but I'm old school-and poor).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I always drop in the nozzle from the right side of the bike, and lift the handle to the left so the nozzle hooks down into the right side of the tank. I can even lock it and walk away. I don't anymore after, after I got the one handle at a gas station in Montpelier, ID that didn't shut off automatically. And and apparently the clerks new. And didn't post a sign. So presumably they could laugh at anyone who spilled a gallon of gas on the pad.

And an easy way to avoid your keys scratching your tank is to just have your bike key on a 1" ring all by its onesies. Aren't you worried the weight of your other keys will wear the ignition tumblers and dump them on the road? That's a thing.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
And an easy way to avoid your keys scratching your tank is to just have your bike key on a 1" ring all by its onesies. Aren't you worried the weight of your other keys will wear the ignition tumblers and dump them on the road? That's a thing.
Oh yea man. I was told that many many years ago. Same goes for you car ignition. All that weight (yea I know it dont seem like much) is undo wear and tear on the tumblers and will kill a switch.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
I have nothing but the bike key, hide-a-key

No other keys attached

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

Reactions: stilcrazee

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I'm a 1-key on the ring guy. I have a small split ring with a small leather tab on it.

I'd be careful, Speedblue here is a good friend and his key fell out of the switch on a trip. Ask him about it...it was a PITA, he could shut off the bike and restart with the kill switch but couldn't refuel. He had to take the switch off and hunt down a locksmith in a small town. He said he barely made it into the town on the fuel he had and got lucky with the only locksmith for 3 miles. I carry a spare in my jacket pocket now.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I used to get some splashes during fueling but at this point I know where to position the nozzle and don't even think about it.
As for keys, I have a habit of unlocking the gas cap then returning them to the ignition while I fuel.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I bought the $150 beveled gas cap specifically because I hated the cap getting in the way. I'm more happier now :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm a 1-key on the ring guy. I have a small split ring with a small leather tab on it.

I'd be careful, Speedblue here is a good friend and his key fell out of the switch on a trip. Ask him about it...it was a PITA, he could shut off the bike and restart with the kill switch but couldn't refuel. He had to take the switch off and hunt down a locksmith in a small town. He said he barely made it into the town on the fuel he had and got lucky with the only locksmith for 3 miles. I carry a spare in my jacket pocket now.

This is why I'm probably going to pick up the Victory alarm and keyless start button when I get back home next week. This XCT is the first bike I've had in about 6 years that uses a key for the ignition. Took me a few days to get used to not having a fob and push button start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
On another note, anyone know of a beveled gas cap that locks? Call me paranoid but I just don't trust that someone won't come along and pop the gas cap off and siphon my gas while I'm in a hotel overnight.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Pull up with pump to the right. Turn handlebars to the left. Fill from right side of bike. Made my own device to hold back those damn bellows - its plastic so it won't scratch. Two keys with nothing on them - no ring or anything. One in bike, one in pocket for that just in case. Having a spare key with the bike gives a thief a key.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to get some splashes during fueling but at this point I know where to position the nozzle and don't even think about it.
As for keys, I have a habit of unlocking the gas cap then returning them to the ignition while I fuel.
But it wont shut with the key out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is why I'm probably going to pick up the Victory alarm and keyless start button when I get back home next week. This XCT is the first bike I've had in about 6 years that uses a key for the ignition. Took me a few days to get used to not having a fob and push button start.

I came off a Harley, I always found it amusing you needed a key to get gas but but not to turn the ignition on.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
Pull up with pump to the right. Turn handlebars to the left. Fill from right side of bike. Made my own device to hold back those damn bellows - its plastic so it won't scratch. Two keys with nothing on them - no ring or anything. One in bike, one in pocket for that just in case. Having a spare key with the bike gives a thief a key.
I don't understand your device, and your ideas are always very good, so what does this contraption do RICZ,

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I don't understand your device, and your ideas are always very good, so what does this contraption do RICZ,

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk
You may not have this feature on your gas pump hoses, but we have this damn thing on our nozzles (not all, mostly in cities) that's like gaiters on forks. It bears against the car's/bike's filler to act as a seal and a system within the hose draws the vapors so they won't go into the atmosphere. Gas will not flow unless that bellows is depressed, so when filling a motorcycle, sometimes you have to pull on that bellows in order to get a fill up. A real PITA.
To deploy my device, you pull back on the bellows until the stop ring is exposed and slip it on the neck between the two. Makes fill ups easy peasy.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
The word is getting crazy RICZ ... complaining that fumes getting in the environment ... Amazing

People eating from Teflon ... tap water is full with chemical ... Crazy world as always there concerned about the environment in the wrong area ....

Andre
@
TaPaTaLk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts