Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have noticed much discussion on this, use of other model components , and an add for a cross bike kit.

Is this really a practical / desirable modification ?..or just for bragging rights at the bar...;)

Are the cables really that unreliable ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have noticed much discussion on this, use of other model components , and an add for a cross bike kit.

Is this really a practical / desirable modification ?..or just for bragging rights at the bar...;)

Are the cables really that unreliable ?
The way I see it is that on a forum you hear more about the bad than the good. If everybody who hasn't had a clutch cable brake came on here to promote it, there wouldn't be this constant talk about bad cables. If the cable breaks you have an alternative (save ur ride). If the hydraulic system fails, you are forced to use the old vice grip trick on the actuator arm, or get a flat bed. I will continue to maintain my stock 04' cable.

·
13,002 Posts
hydraulic clutch has no cable to break. How far can you go with a broken cable

·
Registered
611 Posts
Racers will frequently tell you that a cable clutch offers more feedback than an hydraulic one. As a racer I've not noticed the difference but then again, I've yet to actually RACE a bike with anything but a cable clutch.

As for the failure thing, the argument is that with a cable you could have a failure but a cheap replacement (save-ur-ride) will have you back on the road quick and easy where hydraulics have no backup. What that argument fails to take into account is that failures with hydraulics are incredibly rare. Yes, it can happen as evidenced by the two bikes in my basement right now (both aprilias) that have bad seals on the slave cylinders (known issue with the first gen v-twin apes) resulting in a clutch that won't disengage. But again, this is extremely uncommon. I don't have a problem with my cable clutch and will carry a save-ur-ride just in case but that's mostly because I don't care to spend the money on an hydraulic set up. Otherwise I'd go hydro and forget about it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Racers will frequently tell you that a cable clutch offers more feedback than an hydraulic one. As a racer I've not noticed the difference but then again, I've yet to actually RACE a bike with anything but a cable clutch.

As for the failure thing, the argument is that with a cable you could have a failure but a cheap replacement (save-ur-ride) will have you back on the road quick and easy where hydraulics have no backup. What that argument fails to take into account is that failures with hydraulics are incredibly rare. Yes, it can happen as evidenced by the two bikes in my basement right now (both aprilias) that have bad seals on the slave cylinders (known issue with the first gen v-twin apes) resulting in a clutch that won't disengage. But again, this is extremely uncommon. I don't have a problem with my cable clutch and will carry a save-ur-ride just in case but that's mostly because I don't care to spend the money on an hydraulic set up. Otherwise I'd go hydro and forget about it.
Cool man you have apes on a sport bike ?:)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
If maintained properly, cables should last a long time. Having said that, I installed the hydraulic clutch. My Cavalcade and GoldWing both had them, and I got used to it over the last 14 years.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
13,002 Posts
Vic is cheap ass and the cable will bind up at the housing lever. You have to keep it lubed. Back about thirty years ago we all had the same problem. H-D can up with a fool proof cable but Vic is to cheap to do the same.
Cables break get a save your ride and keep it with your bike

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've had at least six bikes with hydraulic clutches dating back to a 1983 Sport Saber and the most recent being a 2006 Stratoliner. I spent 16 years being irritated with HD's cable clutch on my Glide but in truth the damn thing lasted 150k miles before it corroded enough that I had to change it out.

A few years ago a cable clutch was a deal breaker for me with Victory but after riding one I realized that the problem was with me not the clutch.

Personally I wish that Victory would step into the 21st century and put hydraulics on from the factory but on the other hand the new shielded cables are pretty bullet proof. In the past 40 years of riding and somewhere north of a million miles on bikes I can honestly say that the only clutch cables that I've had fail without warning were on 1960's vintage Triumphs.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
So magman inquiring minds want to know...

Are the hydraulics worth it from a standpoint of worth the time, trouble and $$$ to do the conversion? If you read my post above I'm definitely a fan of hydraulic clutches, I just don't know if they're worth the trouble on a Victory.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
13,002 Posts

Are the hydraulics worth it from a standpoint of worth the time, trouble and $$$ to do the conversion? If you read my post above I'm definitely a fan of hydraulic clutches, I just don't know if they're worth the trouble on a Victory.
The hydraulic pulls the same as cable clutch. The only thing it has going for it is you will not be left on the side of the road when your cable breaks.
Do your self a favor and maybe a friend buy save your ride and put in the bottom of your ride in hopes you never need it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The hydraulic pulls the same as cable clutch. The only thing it has going for it is you will not be left on the side of the road when your cable breaks.
Do your self a favor and maybe a friend buy save your ride and put in the bottom of your ride in hopes you never need it.
The hydraulics pulls the same cable?....how's that?

·
Registered
415 Posts
In my experience with hydraulic clutches they don't really reduce the pulling effort much if at all. What they do is ensure that no matter which way the handlebars are turned the clutch hits in the same place every time. Victory has some pretty good leverage on their clutch so I would doubt that it changes the pull much if any.

To me the big advantage would be the zero maintenance of the hydraulic.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
In my experience, there is slightly less effort to pull the hydraulic clutch. I chalk it up to not having to fight the cable friction.

·
Registered
234 Posts

As stated above it was worth it to me to install the hydraulic clutch to not have to worry about breaking down somewhere. ( i do understand that nothing is full proof) Install is very easy just route line down left side of bike under tank..bleeding for me was a PITA until i purchased a small vacuum pump then it was a snap.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GO to Dealer and try for your self. These are not jap bikes
I found the kit on the Witchdoctor site, and watched the video ...now I understand what you're saying. The same type of cable & ferrell is used at the slave cylinder to clutch arm connection.

still don't get the Jap bike part though ?:confused:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts