Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed the Victory hydraulic clutch on their Cross Country? What are the pros and cons?

The cable on my 2013 XC (27,000 miles) is getting a little sticky even after religious maintenance. Thinking that I will need to replace the cable soon. If I’m going to replace the cable I may as well get an upgrade. Is the hydro system an upgrade of just different?

Thanks!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I have one. Never have to worry about the clutch cable again, but it's a real bitch to bleed.

It's a complete system, comes with a new lever/master cylinder ass'y, hose, slave cylinder, fittings, bleeder valves, etc. It is also a little higher so your left & right mirrors will finally be at the same height.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you had it? How many miles???

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone here installed the Victory hydraulic clutch on their Cross Country? What are the pros and cons?

The cable on my 2013 XC (27,000 miles) is getting a little sticky even after religious maintenance. Thinking that I will need to replace the cable soon. If I’m going to replace the cable I may as well get an upgrade. Is the hydro system an upgrade of just different?

Thanks!!!!
I put it on a few months ago, so far love it.

I agree with brog that it was tough to bleed. I bled it with a machine and never got it completely air free until I pulled the lever all the way to the grip and left it that way over night, did that about 3 times.

Although I have no scientific proof, in comparison to a friends XC ( a year older than mine) is that the lever effort is some what less but feathering the clutch out is greatly improved. Much smoother!

Other than a little pricey, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have had one on for about 8 or 10k...its nice..only thing i didnt like and still dont..no adjustments...i cut the tips of of my 2 fingers on my left hand a while back...so they dont reach as well as they used to...
I liked the cable system because i could give myself some free play or slack if you will, on the lever so i didnt have to pull as hard in the initial grab...definitely not a deal breaker..peace of mind is good:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just put one on last night. No riding for a while here. And the bleeding was a bitch, even with a power bleeder! I am gonna let it sit, then bleed it again. It appears to work fine, not sure why there is no adjustment? Wish the levers were adjustable like brake!

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I installed mine early last season. It feels smoother and not as hard to pull. Some will say that there is no difference, but then you aren't fighting the friction of the cable in the housing.

·
13,262 Posts
Just put one on last night. No riding for a while here. And the bleeding was a bitch, even with a power bleeder! I am gonna let it sit, then bleed it again. It appears to work fine, not sure why there is no adjustment? Wish the levers were adjustable like brake!
If you find this before you try bleeding the clutch do this.
Do not squeeze the lever yet.
Turn bars to the right this will put your master cylinder at its highest point.
Now cover tank.
Now with cap off squeeze lever no more then a 1/8" you should see air bubbles come out. Keep doing this till no bubbles. Do not squeeze it more then a 1/8" inch.
Air rises to the highest point and if you squeeze the lever all the way your forcing the air back down.
What air you don't get out will work its way out as you ride.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info so far. As usual I have more questions.

Victory has a kit specifically for the Cross Country. Have been looking at the description on the website. It says "adjusted to the feel the rider prefers..." This implies there is some adjustment that can be made.

Is this the same kit you guys used? If not, does the slave cylinder look the same as the one you used? What's the silver knob on the right end of the slave cylinder?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
<snip>Victory has a kit specifically for the Cross Country. Have been looking at the description on the website. It says "adjusted to the feel the rider prefers..." This implies there is some adjustment that can be made.<snip more>
If the hydraulic clutch was adjustable, I would think that it would say something like "adjustable to the feel each rider prefers..." The language as written could be marketing hype meaning that the clutch pull (feel?) was designed to a point which is the average of what tested riders prefer. Just a thought.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
When I bought my hydraulic kit, Victory said it was only compatible with the steel-frame bikes. However, there's a video on WD's site showing how to install it on a Cross bike.

If there is a new hydraulic clutch kit specifically for Cross bikes, that's news to me.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I just got my cross kit yesterday and haven't had time to look at it, been under the weather. It is made to mount just like the cable was with a longer hose and $50 cheaper.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have had hyd. clutch on my 11 XC for 3 years and over 30,000 miles. No adjustments or problems. Had the Vision unit put on. It was the only way to do it years ago. Smoother feeling pull but I don't believe it is any easier to squeeze.
I would certainly do it again. Forget how much it cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts