Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a couple of months of debate and back and forth, I am finally picking up a 2014 Cross Roads Classic Wednesday. I appreciate all of you that responded to my various posts as it was a big help. Due to various responses to some of those posts, I not only had to be willing to try a brand I have no experience with, but I had to do some soul searching and stop making excuses as well as many of you long time Harley riders can attest to.

I decided that I am at a stage in life where I cannot worry about what others may think or my own status / ego, I want a nice looking bike that will perform, be reliable and one that I can maintain myself, so the Cross Roads it is. I still like Harley's as they make a good motorcycle, I think it's just time for a change. Maybe I'll bump into some of you on the road and we'll have a beer! cheers

·
Registered
837 Posts
As one of those "long time Harley guys" I think you will have a short memory of your Harley. After nearly 2 years my HD buds still like to give me a hard time. Sitting around a table during bike week a while back, the 4 of them were trying to goad me into a debate, when I reminded them that I had owned more Harleys than ALL of them combined and had been riding longer than all of them combined and that fact qualified me to choose the bike that I thought was the best! That kind of ended the discussion. :D In fact, I really enjoy riding the only Victory in ANY group! It makes the statement that I can think for myself and say I have excellent taste at the same time. thumb up Enjoy cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
I rode Harley's for years and it was hard to make the switch. 90% of my buddies still ride Harley's and that also made it tough to take the plunge. But honestly I love my XC and I have no desire to go back. After you do a few mods to make it your own you won't regret your choice. Good luck an enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've got two friends that ride harleys. One is kinda weird anyway and the other almost never takes his out, and since he bought a triumph adv bike he will probably take it out even less. All of my riding friends have ss or standards though and most have given me crap about the victory in the brief time I've owned it. That lasted about a week then they all moved on to other things to pick on each other about. Find a good group of friends and they won't care what you ride as long as you're riding.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
and no one is wondering where the pictures of your bike
are?--:confused:---wac

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I never owned a Harley. I don't have friends. I don't care what you ride. Good for you. I think you bought a nice bike. I don't even care what I think so enjoy your new bike. Congrats cheers

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I never had that problem. I'm the kind of guy that wants to stand out on his own, I don't want to be like others, I don't want to have the same bike as others. I want to be the only kid on the block to have a specific bike. That was the main selling point for me on the Victory. They are fairly new and everybody else wants to be in the "me too" HD club :ltr: no thanks, I'll pass. I call them HD riders the "me too" club because it seems like 95% of their bike buyers are posers who only buy them so they can say...ME TOO :D Victory doesn't have that problem because they don't have that badge, that name. If you buy a Victory, you obviously bought it for the bike and not the symbol or "status".

Congrats on straying from the herd and for choosing a quality American bike for YOU

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I never had that problem. I'm the kind of guy that wants to stand out on his own, I don't want to be like others, I don't want to have the same bike as others. I want to be the only kid on the block to have a specific bike. That was the main selling point for me on the Victory. They are fairly new and everybody else wants to be in the "me too" HD club :ltr: no thanks, I'll pass. I call them HD riders the "me too" club because it seems like 95% of their bike buyers are posers who only buy them so they can say...ME TOO :D Victory doesn't have that problem because they don't have that badge, that name. If you buy a Victory, you obviously bought it for the bike and not the symbol or "status".

Congrats on straying from the herd and for choosing a quality American bike for YOU
+1

Congratulations John on your beautiful new Victory!

I rode various Moto Guzzi motorcycles for well over 35 years. Clearly I could care less what anyone else thinks of what I ride. I bought the CCT for me and my wife. Not for any of my friends. Same with my tattoos. Some of my friends say I should wear more sleeveless t-shirts so I can "show off" my tattoos. Sorry, but I got those for me as well. I don't care if others see them of not.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone, I hope the weather holds tommorrow as I plan on picking it up and starting the break in miles so I can get that out of the way. It was 50% chance of rain to 30% as of right now, who knows what will be predicted a couple of hours from now. ;)

·
Registered
611 Posts

Well said. My girlfriend made a similar comment the other day about how nice it is that where ever we go we seem to be the only victory there. We get a lot of "Wow, nice bike" comments too and from all walks, which is kinda cool.

Though it's not why I bought the XR, I too am very into being the only one with a particular bike. It's what drives me to mod the ones I have. I get a lot of crap for pouring so much money into my Mille and almost never riding it but with all the parts that I've custom designed and fabbed for it I know beyond all doubt that it's the only one in the world like it and that's worth far more than the cost to build it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
For me, I wanted a bagger and really can't stand those 1970s holdover saddlebags that Harley puts on their bikes (not to mention all the reliability issues).

Welcome to the 21rst century and a bike to go with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
John, you made a wise choice. I rented the 2014 Electra glide (Rushmore) a month ago in Florida. The ride was horrible, the air flow was horrible, maneuvering was horrible, vibrations was The only good thing about the bike was the acceleration. I can't buy a bike just for its acceleration. It sounded horrible without a exhaust upgrade. My bike blows away the Harley in terms of ride comfort, performance and looks. I get compliments every time I ride my bike. I'm the only one in my neighborhood that rides a victory. I love standing out. Even the Harley guys compliment my bike. So yeah, you made the right choice. Congrats on your new motorcycle!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! wac

Enjoy! As I owned two ('90 FLSTC and '04 FLSTF), I'm qualified to say you'll not look back, except to see the harleys trying to catch up.

On break in... The official break in is 500 miles where it gets its first oil change, etc. Ride it like you stole it up to then. Fast break in = fast bike. Do not judge the bike until about 2k actually.. It will continue to smooth out, shift better, etc. Mine is still getting better each ride. cheers

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Yes congrats again and don't forget to cam that bad boy and put a set of slip-on's on her and a PCV and a timing wheel and a Lloyds filter and switch to synthetic oil after 500 miles and get rid of those Elite 3 tires and get Avons then change your mirrors and handle bars and seat. Add a backrest some aux lighting and different windshield and a bunch of chrome stuff then post back with us on how you really like your new bike. :crzy:

Or just leave it alone and ride the **** out of it! thumb up

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Yes congrats again and don't forget to cam that bad boy and put a set of slip-on's on her and a PCV and a timing wheel and a Lloyds filter and switch to synthetic oil after 500 miles and get rid of those Elite 3 tires and get Avons then change your mirrors and handle bars and seat. Add a backrest some aux lighting and different windshield and a bunch of chrome stuff then post back with us on how you really like your new bike. :crzy:

Or just leave it alone and ride the **** out of it! thumb up
Well played! :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Guilty to all the above except the tires...and love the bike even MORE!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bought my Kingpin because you could ride one before you owned one, it looked like a custom bike with the seamless gas tank, and it's price point was well below any "equivalent" HD. It wasn't until later that I learned of the engine design and its reliability.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts