Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup..... I finally got the kingpin. Well actually, got it 2 months back but never got a chance to post about it. Too busy riding every second I get. You guys know how it is.

Anyhow I got my first upgrade installed. Thanks Scott for the hookup. Had to replace shock cause I'm a big guy and the stock shock is turd.

Have a look let me know what you guys think.

Hope you guys like it!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Yup..... I finally got the kingpin.
I don't know what Vic was thinking with their color schemes on this bike. They had several good ones and then seemed to fall asleep. I really like yours. I just saw this one on Ebay and it didn't sell. I was surprised, but when I checked the dealership listing it from the "Completed Listing" database, they had it listed as sold. Someone prolly contacted the dealer directly to circumvent the ebay fees and swing a little better deal.

Kingpin.jpg

Anyhow I got my first upgrade installed.
Mmmm, Penske. You late model cruiser guys listen up, that is an upgrade worth its price...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice, I have my penske with 600lb/in spring sitting on the bench awaiting install. Have you dialed it in yet and/or adjusted the ride height?
Not yet. Just got it back from the shop haven't had time to tweak it.had to go to work today.

Rode to work and it's a little stiff. The card says it was tuned to 600 but the spring said 800. Im not a suspension guy so this is uncharted territory. I got a lot of play to loosen it up so I'm gonna tweak it for my weight then count the clicks for when me and the gf go out for a ride. A few clicks looser and I think I'll be on cloud nine.

The stock shock would just bottom out when we rode. This one feels like we would be perfect two up but solo I gotta turn it down a little. I had a hell of a time adjusting the stock shock with the spanner tool. I chose the penske cause it was tuned for my weight. Scott took care of me. Told him I was a heavy guy and needed a shock that could lug me and the misses around. He set me up. I called and asked him if I needed to do anything else. He said nope, plug and play, tuned for you.

He told me there's room to go either way but its at a neutral setting. Like I said it was a little stiff for me but my gf sat down with me and it felt nice. I think he set it a little stiff cause I told him that I was concerned because I was worried the shock wouldn't be able to support me.

Not having to rip out the side to adjust is making me grin already.

As for the spanner, too bad I only used it once before I decided to toss the spring altogether. It'll end up in a good home. I'm sure there are other Vic riders who could make good use of it.

I'll post updates on what setting ultimately worked for me once I fine tune it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The springs are also etched on one end with the weight (in case you want to verify what was written on the coil is correct).
I believe there are 30 clicks for rebound adjustment and Scott sets it right in the middle (15ish) so you just tweak it up/down til you find what works for you.
There should be anti-seize slathered on the threads of the shock (to prevent galling) when setting preload on the spring, however I also noticed its a real pain to adjust. There's a flat (torrington) bearing a couple suspension places sell that installs in the spring perch and makes adjusting a breeze, been thinking about picking one up myself, I think it's around $20.
Penske makes a top of the line product, with the shock out, pulling the spring is literally a 1 minute procedure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
67 Posts
It sounds like I really need one of those penske shocks. Where did you get yours and how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Mmmm, Penske. You late model cruiser guys listen up, that is an upgrade worth its price...
Ok, the more I read about this @#$% Penske shock the more I almost gotta get the thing and see what it's all about. I do know I can't say anything good about the stock one on my HB. Freakin' expensive son of a gun, but everyone keeps saying "worth it!". Damn it all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts