Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I don't get it. Why do you need to remap your chip if you get stage 1 exhaust? I can understand the new breather and vented airbox (more air out needs more air in). What I don't get is the remap. Isn't the EFI supposed to make any air/fuel adjustments automatically...this is the reason no adjustments are needed for different altitudes and also the reason why on a cold morning, you just hit the starter and let it fire up. Is this just a way for the dealers to get money for nothing?

Waiting for your two cents,
Tom Thompson

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
on any f i m.c. if you xch the exhaust you are easing the restriction to flow , how much depends on the specific exhaust , and the bike may run lean, any modifying of exhaust or air cleaner needs to be re-mapped the victory exhaust includes the card [for remapping ] too lean = hotter, possibly burnt valves. & if you install an aftermarket exhaust & don't remap [ enrichen the mixture ] the motor co. has every right to deny a warranty claim if caused by a lean condition that resulted from the pipe install.

steve

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
EFI works by making corections to a baseline setting. Change the enviroment, and sensors tell the computer. The computer then adds, subtract fuel, and adjust timing to adapt. This adaptability is limited by the power of the comuter, and the acuracy you are looking for. Vic, and most bikes use a tough, but relativly stupid ECM so when you make big changes such as exhaust you need to establish a new baseline with a re-map.

·
Registered
163 Posts
EFI works by making corections to a baseline setting. Change the enviroment, and sensors tell the computer. The computer then adds, subtract fuel, and adjust timing to adapt. This adaptability is limited by the power of the comuter, and the acuracy you are looking for. Vic, and most bikes use a tough, but relativly stupid ECM so when you make big changes such as exhaust you need to establish a new baseline with a re-map.
Up to 2007 the Vic where open loop EFI which means you really have to remap because the ECM does not know the the air/fuel is in the exhaust. After 2007 they went to a closed loop which now can see what the air/fuel is in the exhaust and make adjustments, but it is limited, so when you re-map you are changing the parameters.

If you don't re-map you will be running lean and take a chance of burning the tops of the pistons off.:eek:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...new baseline makes sense. now the question is...dealer done or do it myself with one of the computers...both cost about the same huh?

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Up to 2007 the Vic where open loop EFI which means you really have to remap because the ECM does not know the the air/fuel is in the exhaust. After 2007 they went to a closed loop which now can see what the air/fuel is in the exhaust and make adjustments, but it is limited, so when you re-map you are changing the parameters.

If you don't re-map you will be running lean and take a chance of burning the tops of the pistons off.:eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm still new to the Vic but when I had my Power Commander on my Suzuki I did my own. I had the Vic dealer install pipes and an S&S intake and they mapped it. The dealer mentioned something about a code or chip that you need to re-map the ECM if you don't have an after market programmer. Perhaps someone else here can chime in with more info.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The Victory maps require the use of a dealer only program called Digital wrench. To do the job a security code provided with S&S intakes, or Victory S1 kits is needed. The codes can be purchased as reflash cards from Vic, but they start at $129, and go up from there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guess i'll go the dealer as i don't want to mess up my 5-year warranty....i lke the slip ons for the factory look but the shotguns are freakin' awesome lookin'

thnx all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remapping for performance

Hi, I just read your inquiry about remapping and I tend to agree with you regarding the victory performance upgrades, they do virtually nothing, however there are other after market performance upgrades that really do make a difference. I am presently pursuing this for my bike.

Cheers, Bondale

·
Registered
35 Posts
power commander

I have a power commander from dyno jet and it makes a world of difference in adding and subtracting fuel, after i put my pipes and air intake on i still had to take away fuel victorys come stock with way to much fuel getting used. i know this because it was on the dyno when we put the programer on.

·
Registered
355 Posts
what about a lloyds VFCIII? i have an 07 vegas with the stage 1 and on a cold start it runs like crap even after idling for 10-15 min, once i start riding a couple miles it clears up. since i bought it in july of 07 ive fouled the plugs and had to replace them 7 or 8 times. to me thats not right but the dealer says it runs properly. im not convinced

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Thats not right that you are fouling plugs. My plugs have 15k on them and look great.

Do you normally idle your bike for a while before riding? Speaking of idle what is the RPM at idle?

Have you cleaned the throttle bodies?

Where are you located?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're looking at aftermarket power commanders, I've heard great things about the one that Lloyds sells, but mixed reviews on the Ness Big Shot tuner. A buddy had the Ness and had a heck of a time getting it dialed in, but once he did, the bike ran like a champ.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i alwats let it warm up all the way if i start it, 99percent of the time i do at last 2 or 3 miles at least. no idea what the idle is but its low. i live in central illinois. just leavin now to take it to the dealer......again......yesterday when i made the appt they said if they dont find anything wrong the warranty wont cover the time. this could get interesting!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.