Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas!

First off, lemme say I've been a cruiser rider for a few years now. I have an '09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic with a few odds an' ends hangin off it. It's been a great bike: solid, dependable, not underpowered for most any situation. It's comfortable and looks sharp, and i don't regret buying her one bit.

Now, the reason a Kawi owner is skulkin about the Vic forums: I fell in love with the Cross Roads. I'm totally smitten with the lines, the features, the big-inch twin, the 6-speed. And at this point, I'm really wanting to get into something with a more grunt and more storage. My wife, who rides her own (an '09 Shadow Spirit), and I tend to make our minimum rides last all day. We'll get up and just decide to tour all of southern and central Idaho, just because. We've made several overnight trips, thanks to the bags and and luggage rack on the Vulcan, but even with those extras we're still a little limited. I want to cover several states over a week or so sometime, and not have to wear the same clothes the whole time.

My other gripe is riding into Idaho wind. Unless you're riding east, you're fighting a headwind or crosswind. My kawi's just fine in crosswind, but maintaining slab-speed into a stiff headwind is an effort.

She's been a good bike, but I think it's time to trade up. Basically, what I'm wantin to know is, besides the noisy torque compensator (which can't be that noisy...I ride a vulcan 900), does the Cross Roads have any other issues? Mechanical problems? Recalls? What kind of fuel mileage do you guys usually manage, and what sort of engine longevity can one expect? I intend to buy new (leftover or current, either-or), but IF (and a big if it is, as I've not seen one yet) I should find a good deal on a used bike, would it be worth my time?

Anyway, thanks for letting me take up space here, and any advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used XR if you can find one except that the 2010's didn't have the cruise control stock yet like the did in the subsequent years.

Look for a low mileage used one in good shape and don't be afraid to pay full price if it has a tuner, stage 1, windshield, hard bags, and maybe the forge crash bars. The crash bars are kind of subjective. Regardless of the type of bags it has; hopefully it will have the saddlebag protection and tipover protection bars. If not; think about getting them.

You can get the Dakota Digital speedo/tach/clock/fuel gauge/etc which is something I would definitely want. Then get the HID low beam headlight bulb and ballast at victoryhid.com for a very low price. It might already have a drivers and passengers backrest on it. If not; there are some inexpensive ways to approach those issues as well as a trunk or luggage rack.

I like the XR because there are just soooo many ways you can make it yours.

Good luck in your hunt...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Let me say this. Not a cruiser guy at all. So been wanting one for awhile somethingwith bags and comfort power and stability. In little over a month with the horrible weather we have had. I have put 1200 miles on my hard ball(cross roads). The hard bags are huge. Everything i have ridden in my part this thing is amazing.
I wouldn't be afraid of burying used. Or even see if you can find a left over model. You should be able to find one out there.
Now problems i already have a warranty issue with my seat. They are shipping me a new one. So other than that nothing.
Great motorcycle in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I jumped over from a Vulcan 900 LT to a XCT also. The wind management is just incredible compared to the buffeting issues I had on the Vulcan even with lowers added.

As for mpg, I'm getting around 42 mpg and that is with a considerable amount of 75 mph up on the highway. That kind of sustained speed would absolutely kill the mpg on my 900. My last iron butt ride on the 900 I was getting 34 mpg running that hard. Very comfortable on long trips with cruise and loving the iPod connection and auto volume. The speedo on the vic is accurate as a bonus.

The power of the bike is really impressive. I was shocked on the first few cars I passed when i looked down and was doing 90. The 50 - 90 acceleration for passing feels instant and will really put a smile on the face :).

I haven't heard or read of any recalls or major mechanical issues. Oil changes are a breeze and service interval of 5k miles is sweet. The bikes are mechanically very sound. Seems like Victory built these things to be as worry free as a car.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I've actually got my eye on a 2010 demo model. Now if I can just convince the wife to let me have it lol.

Actually, she really likes the XR too, and likes the idea of doing a lot of 2-up riding again. 2-up trips had just started to become a pain on the 900, and she kind of wanted her own bike, so that was the direction we went last summer. I've put it around that I intend to sell my 9, and got a couple guys that I know bugging me about it already since it's got low miles and plenty of extras, and these guys know how particular I am about my maintenance. But I don't want to sell the Shadow, partly because we'd be upside-down on it, and partly because I'd just feel like an ass if I deprived my wife of her scoot.

One other question I just thought of: My experience has always been with liquid-cooled twins. Even riding in triple-digit temps, the 9 never bakes me, not even when the cooling fan kicks on. How hot's that 106 get?

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I haven't had mine long enough to really 'enjoy' 100+ days yet this year but have had some low 90s already. Hopefully someone with some more summer ride experience will chime in.

I definitely feel the heat on my leg when stopped but it isn't anything i would consider to be uncomfortable, just noticeable. IMHO, it is about the same as on the 900 when the fan kicks on. I'm only about 5'9 with 30" inseam so my legs aren't that far out from the bike when stopped. If you are taller, I would think you wouldn't even notice it that much.

While moving, that honking big oil cooler really seems to do a good job.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well guys, I test rode a 2011 Cross Roads yesterday. That bad monkey signed the severance papers for my good ol' Vulcan. It was a short ride through a city area in Idaho Falls, but I was so impressed with EVERYTHING. I won't go on, because you guys already know how great they are. But just everything was so...perfect. It was like someone measured me and built the bike around what I would want.

Now, just gotta unload the 900 before I pull the trigger on the new bike. If there are any takers, shoot me a PM XD

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
With gas prices and people looking to downsize auto costs, don't think you will have any problems selling it. Good luck and let us know when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I made the upgrade from an 06 VN900Lt to a Cross Country Tour and have no regrets! The power and handling is far better than my old 9. But I do miss my Mustang seat lol
Hey, I remember you from the Kawasaki forum. I totaled my 09 900 Classic in April. Stupid cager cut me off on I-75S in Atlanta:mad: I plan on getting a 07 Kingpin once my thumb heals (broke it in the fall) and the insurance company cuts me a check. I'm going to miss my Vulcan but I love the look of Victorys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts