Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i fucked up and use the wrong end of my oil pump, i stuck the rubber piece in the filler tube.. the rubber piece is oil pan, i cant see it with a scope. the piece measures 1.5 long 3/4 did with a 1/4 inch hole in it.. is there any way i can get into the oil pan?

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
I would think if it's truly in the pan it would follow the flow to the drain plug. Or pump out the oil and use a shop vac on the fill hole to put some serious suction on it to vacuum it out.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
If you can see it with a scope, attach the hook that came with it and give that a try.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,668 Posts
Forgot about scope hook. Pump it out then hook that thing.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
He says he CAN'T see it with the scope.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
You are right Vindex! Damn old eyes and new glasses.
Suggest fishing around with the oil sucker upper. Keep probing like a fly fisherman.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Get one of those cheap little long flexible flashlights from the auto store. Drain the oil and check again with the scope down the filler tube while shining the light up through the drain plug. You just have to be able to see it that way. Using the scope or the flashlight push and prod the hose until it's over by the drain hole. Mechanics wire or a wire coat hanger could help too. Once an end is over the drain hole grabbing an end of it with needle nose pliers or a surgical clamp should be easy to do. It'll take awhile but it's certainly better than the alternative.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Drain the oil and then you could see it with like others said lights & camera connection to a handphone & small wire for hook it up etc....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
PS i dropped a hose clamp in that oil filler hole and got it out super easy with a flexible magnet, after sweating profusely hahahha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Get one of those cheap little long flexible flashlights from the auto store. Drain the oil and check again with the scope down the filler tube while shining the light up through the drain plug. You just have to be able to see it that way. Using the scope or the flashlight push and prod the hose until it's over by the drain hole. Mechanics wire or a wire coat hanger could help too. Once an end is over the drain hole grabbing an end of it with needle nose pliers or a surgical clamp should be easy to do. It'll take awhile but it's certainly better than the alternative.
Here is the link to those pictures of cases on ebay: VICTORY 2012-2017 MOTORCYCLE ENGINE CASE | eBay
Not so sure that is possible to retrieve that piece judging by the pictures of the cases . But maybe I'm wrong.
It looks like a pretty torturous route to get something down through the baffle drain hole and over to the drain plug hole though you might be able to flood it out that way with a bunch of diesel if it would fit through the baffle drain.
3/4 inch in diameter might be too big to go out the oil drain hole too. But maybe being a hose there might be some chance if it isn't bigger than the hole. Some smart person with photo shop might be able to scale the errant part from measurements they took off a visible portion of the case then using those pictures tell us for sure if something 3/4 by 1.5" will fit through the drain hole in the lower baffle? The owner can pull his drain plug and test fit a piece of hose in the hole to see if that works. Make it quite long 4-6 inches and put a mark at 1-1/2 inches to see if there is any chance of the missing hose being turned to make it out.
Lacking those computer skills I'd call someone who builds vic's and might have an opened engine on the bench that they can take a quick look at. Describe what fell in and ask them if there is any chance of success getting that part through the drain hole in the lower crank baffle and /or out the drain hole if it could be moved there. Will it even fit is the biggest question? I can't tell from the picture. Maybe someone here knows.

If there is a chance , then proceed carefully, but if not pull a jug now and retrieve the piece while there is a chance it hasn't traveled to the sump and is still sitting on the baffle section.
If it can't go out the drain hole you don't want to accidentally move it to a spot in the sump where you must split the cases to get it out because you can't control it's movements.

No option is going to be much fun. He might not need to replace the rings if he pulls the jugs. If the motor is low mileage that is. There is usually a spec for wear of the rings in most manuals. On HD's I believe it is 50% of the ring face.
He'd only be out some time and the cost of some gaskets and maybe a torque wrench and motorcycle ring compressor. As long as he is careful. Over head cam motors are usually not bad do top end work on. (Good excuse to put better cams in at the same time if so inclined)

I'm going to be much more careful after looking at this not to leave the dipstick out when working on my bike for a second longer than it needs to be from now on. Especially since I am so bad about using the seat as a shelf to hold my tools. I'm glad he posted this and hope that all the stars line up and that it is retrievable without too much grief for him. I've had similar experiences myself. Sometimes you luck out.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The pictures are of the sides of the cases. If the tube made it to the bottom it is a flat surface. I'd still go with the scope and the light though at least for a few days. It's got to be there someplace. Unless it's been moved it should be almost directly below the filler hole.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no luck in finding this piece. trying again tomorrow.. may have to tear down.. anyone in the detroit area?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the link to those pictures of cases on ebay: VICTORY 2012-2017 MOTORCYCLE ENGINE CASE | eBay
Not so sure that is possible to retrieve that piece judging by the pictures of the cases . But maybe I'm wrong.
It looks like a pretty torturous route to get something down through the baffle drain hole and over to the drain plug hole though you might be able to flood it out that way with a bunch of diesel if it would fit through the baffle drain.
3/4 inch in diameter might be too big to go out the oil drain hole too. But maybe being a hose there might be some chance if it isn't bigger than the hole. Some smart person with photo shop might be able to scale the errant part from measurements they took off a visible portion of the case then using those pictures tell us for sure if something 3/4 by 1.5" will fit through the drain hole in the lower baffle? The owner can pull his drain plug and test fit a piece of hose in the hole to see if that works. Make it quite long 4-6 inches and put a mark at 1-1/2 inches to see if there is any chance of the missing hose being turned to make it out.
Lacking those computer skills I'd call someone who builds vic's and might have an opened engine on the bench that they can take a quick look at. Describe what fell in and ask them if there is any chance of success getting that part through the drain hole in the lower crank baffle and /or out the drain hole if it could be moved there. Will it even fit is the biggest question? I can't tell from the picture. Maybe someone here knows.

If there is a chance , then proceed carefully, but if not pull a jug now and retrieve the piece while there is a chance it hasn't traveled to the sump and is still sitting on the baffle section.
If it can't go out the drain hole you don't want to accidentally move it to a spot in the sump where you must split the cases to get it out because you can't control it's movements.

No option is going to be much fun. He might not need to replace the rings if he pulls the jugs. If the motor is low mileage that is. There is usually a spec for wear of the rings in most manuals. On HD's I believe it is 50% of the ring face.
He'd only be out some time and the cost of some gaskets and maybe a torque wrench and motorcycle ring compressor. As long as he is careful. Over head cam motors are usually not bad do top end work on. (Good excuse to put better cams in at the same time if so inclined)

I'm going to be much more careful after looking at this not to leave the dipstick out when working on my bike for a second longer than it needs to be from now on. Especially since I am so bad about using the seat as a shelf to hold my tools. I'm glad he posted this and hope that all the stars line up and that it is retrievable without too much grief for him. I've had similar experiences myself. Sometimes you luck out.
Thanks for the advice.. Im most likely gonna have to do it by removing the jug.. Problem is im not that mechanical incline..

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
You may have a better chance of seeing the hose with the primary case removed. There is a couple of pretty large openings going to the oil sump.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Registered
53 Posts
As has been suggested before, sounds like you will have the best chance to find it after draining all the oil then try to light it up the best you can and use a scope to try to locate it. After you locate it maybe you can use some type of wire hook etc.Not sure if taking the primary cover on the clutch side off or the cover on the other side off would help you get more access to the oil pan. I have had both of mine off but it has been awhile and I was changing my clutch on one side and installing a timing wheel on the other and did not really look that much at the oil pan access. The oil pan has some screws on it from the bottom, but I suspect you would have to take the motor out to get it off?

·
13,235 Posts
Good thinking pulling primary. Now maybe drain the oil and put is a quart or two of gasoline. Sit on bike move it side to side to get gas to wash all the oil out. Now maybe with a strong suction device try each hole in the primary side. Hopefully, you'll get lucky and suck it out.
Even try the oil filter hole with the suckshion device

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
"Suckshion"? :)

Reactions: 53canuck
1 - 20 of 33 Posts