Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I picked up a 2014 Victory Cross Country 8-Ball! I've been dreaming about one for a while. I also have a 2007 Vegas that my wife is taking over.
I've got one complaint that I'm looking to fix. (Other than that super tall windshield which I'm gonna swap out.) The handlebars force me to cock my wrists at a very uncomfortable angle. I'm very broad shouldered so I think I'm just too wide. Anyone know of some good bars that have less of an angle for the grips?

Attachments

·
13,002 Posts
do a search on the net all kinds of bars out there.
HMD250 witchdoctor arlen ness hotvic klockwerks
to name a few

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Today, I picked up a 2014 Victory Cross Country 8-Ball! I've been dreaming about one for a while. I also have a 2007 Vegas that my wife is taking over.
I've got one complaint that I'm looking to fix. (Other than that super tall windshield which I'm gonna swap out.) The handlebars force me to cock my wrists at a very uncomfortable angle. I'm very broad shouldered so I think I'm just too wide. Anyone know of some good bars that have less of an angle for the grips?
Try Helibars. They are adjustable

·
Registered
314 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
Here's how you figure out the right bars for you. You will need someone to hold a broom stick as you close your eyes and reach out while sitting on the bike and imagine the perfect height for you. Even better would be for you to have the bike in a chock so it's upright with you having your feet on the floorboards.

Your helper then puts the broomstick in your hands while you hold them exactly where you found the perfect spot. She measures the distance between the trees and the broomstick.

After that it's a matter of figuring out what angle the grips should be at. You can use the same broomstick to measure the distance between the stick and the outside of your hands to get a general idea of the angle. From there it's simple math. You determine the distance to the end of the grip and then you have your triangle. It's way more simple than it sounds.

Either way; this is one way to find the right bars for you. There are many bar builders that will make them exactly the way you find them to feel right. Take advantage of it and buy them one time instead of many like I have.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
To elaborate on Bbob's very good suggegtion; Place a stick of some kind in each hand (rulers, socket ratchets, dildos, etc.) and sit on the bike - get it as vertical as possible by placing a piece of 2X4 under the stand - close your eyes and place your hands EXACTLY where you'd like your grips and have a helper take critical measurements. You can take visual notes too as to the angle of the sticks. But only after you open your eyes. Keep in mind there should be a bend in your elbows.

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
To elaborate on Bbob's very good suggegtion; Place a stick of some kind in each hand (rulers, socket ratchets, dildos, etc.) and sit on the bike - get it as vertical as possible by placing a piece of 2X4 under the stand - close your eyes and place your hands EXACTLY where you'd like your grips and have a helper take critical measurements. You can take visual notes too as to the angle of the sticks. But only after you open your eyes. Keep in mind there should be a bend in your elbows.
Yeah; because everyone keeps a couple of those laying around out in the garage. :D :D :D

One thing we left out. Some of us don't have the best posture when we ride. It's a good idea to take notice of that when we figure out where the hand grips should be.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Oh yeah, the infamous Cruiser Slouch. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. The bars I had on my Vegas were great but sadly they won't fit on the XC. The positioning on the current bars would be awesome if not for the angle they put my wrists at. I rode 180 miles back from where I picked the bike up today and now my right wrist is really cramped up. I like my hands about chest high, with my elbows a bit bent and my back straight. Screwed my back up pretty good in the Navy so I'm pretty particular about my posture. I may pay for the fancy adjustable bars or having some made. They'll be with me for a while because I'm keeping this bike for the long haul! Best bike I've had in 22 years of riding. (Though I do miss that old Honda Magna V65.)

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I did what Dank did - just reposition the stock bars to make them more comfortable. Another thing: the tops of your hands should be parallel to your forearm. In other words; wrists should be straight.
Another thing that will help tremendously is one of my laydown license brackets - the best one there is. Click the link below.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Another thing that will help tremendously is one of my laydown license brackets - the best one there is. Click the link below.
Unabashed self promotion. BUT! It is a good product! :wink

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Unabashed self promotion. BUT! It is a good product! :wink
.....and I didn't have to pay Ben a lot to write that either.:devil

1 - 13 of 13 Posts