Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything worked out and I got the 2011 Sandstone and Pearl Kingpin I was after. The guy that lost the title ordered a duplicate and texted me yesterday and said I could come anytime. Turns out him and his wife were super nice people and very respectable...not crazy lunatics that I was hoping they weren't gonna be! lol! We drove to Kentucky today and I rode it, fell in love, and we all went to the bank and got the title and lien release and we drove home with her happily smiling on our trailer. :D

A couple things for sure, I REALLY need some risers to pull those handlebars back closer to me. Good grief, I think they were made for an orangutans arms. Can someone recommend some longer risers that maybe they used and worked for them and looked good on a Kingpin. Also the little Victory back rest that's on it is pointless. It doesn't come anywhere near my back or the previous owners either. So I guess that will come off and I'll get the Utopia I've been reading about, although I like the size and shape of the Victory one. :(
I'm also after a windshield. It also doesn't have that. I've never ridden without a windshield and probably won't ever again. That test ride broke me of wondering about that experience! At 50 mph I felt like my eyeballs were going to blow out of my head even with sunglasses on and I couldn't hear a blasted thing either. HOW do people ride without a windshield??? :crzy: I want the same OEM type of windshield and lowers that comes on the Kingpin Tour...my husband has one. Victory told me today the windshield was discontinued but gave me the part numbers of the kit for brackets and hardware, guess I'll have to find my own windshield that it fits. Any ideas? I found replacement windshields on ebay by 7Jurock http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTORY-KINGPIN-2004-UP-19-5-x-24-CLEAR-REPLACEMENT-WINDSHIELD-/261559474843?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce628da9b&vxp=mtr. Are these any good?

One other question. The previous owner put the stage 1 exhaust on ... Swept Cross bows I think someone said they were called. They sound nice, but he didn't have them programmed or whatever by the dealer so there is a bit of backfiring now and then. Is a Victory dealer the only one that can program these things or can any dealer or bike mechanic do it?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Enjoy the ride. As for windshields, other than a BMW K bike I owned some years ago I have never been a windshield guy. I do wear a full face helmet though so I suppose that prevents my eyes from popping out at 80. Have fun with your mods to the bike.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
Good news Lora. I dug out the windshield today and it has the classic V in the middle with the oval Victory emblem. Jurock does have the replacement acrylic at a good fair price. I should probably replace the one on my KP as well when I get a few bucks to do so. I have a bunch of boxes to go through along with all the other stuff I have to do in life to find the mounting hardware but if you find another shield in the meantime you should go for it. I can always put this one in the classifieds and it will sell fairly quickly being as they are not easy to find anymore.

Congrats and may you have thousands and thousands of miles of smiles!!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
To tame your pipes-

You can get an aftermarket fuel controller and tinker on your own via trial and error,

You can try to locate a factory Stage I download card, personally that still ran like crap on mine so I don't advise it;

Or you can find one of the VIc tuners and get a dyno tune that will be specific to your bike.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good news Lora. I dug out the windshield today and it has the classic V in the middle with the oval Victory emblem. Jurock does have the replacement acrylic at a good fair price. I should probably replace the one on my KP as well when I get a few bucks to do so. I have a bunch of boxes to go through along with all the other stuff I have to do in life to find the mounting hardware but if you find another shield in the meantime you should go for it. I can always put this one in the classifieds and it will sell fairly quickly being as they are not easy to find anymore.

Congrats and may you have thousands and thousands of miles of smiles!!
Awesome! Glad you found that windshield because I really want that kind of shield with that V in the middle and the emblem. Message sent to you.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
How in the world do y'all post a pic on here? I have a pic, but don't know how to get it on here. Does it have to be on photobucket or something first?
There are two ways. Use Photobucket or some other pic hosting site or go into the advanced reply mode and click on "Manage Attachments" below the window we type in. It should be fairly self-explanatory from there.

My preference is to use Photobucket though... click on the Photo icon above the window and insert the "Direct" line from Photobucket. That's it. Repeat as necessary.

Chances are you will want to share pics elsewhere so you might as well have them right where you have easy access from anywhere...

·
Registered
372 Posts
That's a joke that you can't buy an OEM accessory for a 2011 machine. It isn't that old for that kind of thing. Not very impressive business on Polaris and Victory IMO to just bail on a model and leave all the owners hanging. I know it cost some to maintain that kind of 'old' inventory but get real if you want loyalty back from your customers.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
One other question. The previous owner put the stage 1 exhaust on ... Swept Cross bows I think someone said they were called. They sound nice, but he didn't have them programmed or whatever by the dealer so there is a bit of backfiring now and then. Is a Victory dealer the only one that can program these things or can any dealer or bike mechanic do it?

Thanks for any info you can throw my way.
Congrats on an awesome bike! You own one of the fastest, better handling machines Victory made or currently makes. I had the X-Bow pipes on my '12 KP. I can tell you the Victory stage 1 map is a joke, their entire stage 1 kit for the KP is a joke. You can do much better regarding price and performance by going elsewhere. My personal recommendation for you would be to purchase this tuner here. http://www.afrplus.com/Cruiser/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=712014 This will correct your fueling issues. This will completely eliminate any need of a dyno tune and if you did take it to a dyno after installing this tuner, they'll find its "on the money". Best part is it's cheaper than the other tuners.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
a set of Burleigh Bars would look and feel great on your new Kingpin I'm sure.
And Victory Forum members get a discount of $100 Aust.
Check em out http://www.burleighbars.com.au/

Attachments

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Congrats...enjoy your new Vic thumb up

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a joke that you can't buy an OEM accessory for a 2011 machine. It isn't that old for that kind of thing. Not very impressive business on Polaris and Victory IMO to just bail on a model and leave all the owners hanging. I know it cost some to maintain that kind of 'old' inventory but get real if you want loyalty back from your customers.
Zactly what I'm starting to think. My Honda was an '05 an I could get stock parts and after market anywhere... I'm not used to not finding things at the drop of a hat. :mad: but if I ever get this thing the way it needs to be, I'll have it made.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on your new bike. Enjoy the ride. As for windshields, other than a BMW K bike I owned some years ago I have never been a windshield guy. I do wear a full face helmet though so I suppose that prevents my eyes from popping out at 80. Have fun with your mods to the bike.
I wear a FF Shoei all but summer and then 1/2 helmet when it gets sweltering. But a FF wouldn't help the wind pulling at my body. I felt like a clothesline in a hurricane...I was expecting my clothes to be peeled off a piece and a time and fly off in some tree somewhere. :rolleyes::p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on an awesome bike! You own one of the fastest, better handling machines Victory made or currently makes. I had the X-Bow pipes on my '12 KP. I can tell you the Victory stage 1 map is a joke, their entire stage 1 kit for the KP is a joke. You can do much better regarding price and performance by going elsewhere. My personal recommendation for you would be to purchase this tuner here. http://www.afrplus.com/Cruiser/viewproduct.asp?partnumber=712014 This will correct your fueling issues. This will completely eliminate any need of a dyno tune and if you did take it to a dyno after installing this tuner, they'll find its "on the money". Best part is it's cheaper than the other tuners.
Holy moly! $325 for that thing! And we wouldn't have the foggiest notion of what to do with it. My husband worked on our Hondas(what little work they needed) and did some mods on the timing, but this may be a little more than we bargained for doing ourself. (Whining) why can't things just be simple?? :( so this other dyno tune, is that what a dealer would do? And it costs as much or more than this afr thing? I guess I'm confused as to what is done. In my mind, I pictured going to a dealer, them hooking up their little cables like at autozone and fiddling with some knobs on a control box and setting it for me for a reasonable price. That's not how it happens??

·
Registered
837 Posts
I wear a FF Shoei all but summer and then 1/2 helmet when it gets sweltering. But a FF wouldn't help the wind pulling at my body. I felt like a clothesline in a hurricane...I was expecting my clothes to be peeled off a piece and a time and fly off in some tree somewhere. :rolleyes::p
A tempory fix for the wind is to lower the bars. I hate the big shields, so I got an aerodynamic style for my KP to get the wind off the body.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
A tempory fix for the wind is to lower the bars. I hate the big shields, so I got an aerodynamic style for my KP to get the wind off the body.
Dang that bike looks great and the shield is perfect on it. Never liked the passenger backrest though on the steel framed bikes. actually I don't like backrests at all.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Lluce, Congratulations to you. cheers
If you purchase a PCV and ride that nice looking KP to Biketober fest you will meet Kyle from KMC. He will install your tuner and put your bike on his magic Dyno . You wont have to fuss with it after he's done and you can do what you bought your for. Ride the crap out of it. You also get a nice little chart that shows what a good job he did. Kyle is the man thumb up Good luck!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Holy moly! $325 for that thing! And we wouldn't have the foggiest notion of what to do with it. My husband worked on our Hondas(what little work they needed) and did some mods on the timing, but this may be a little more than we bargained for doing ourself. (Whining) why can't things just be simple?? :( so this other dyno tune, is that what a dealer would do? And it costs as much or more than this afr thing? I guess I'm confused as to what is done. In my mind, I pictured going to a dealer, them hooking up their little cables like at autozone and fiddling with some knobs on a control box and setting it for me for a reasonable price. That's not how it happens??
A dyno tune is putting your bike on a dynamometer and locking it in place. Then they measure the actual torque at the rear wheel while revving the engine from near idle to wide open throttle. Make adjustments based on what they see and repeat until it is producing the most torque at the rear wheel, if that is your objective. The whole time this is going on they are measuring air to fuel ratio (AFR) because it helps them find the right settings far faster that way.
The gen 4 lets you pick the AFR and the bike more or less tunes itself to get your number for you. From what I have read recently the gen 4 no longer uses the AFR in the mid range and now only uses it in the wide open throttle part of the control range but it still displays AFR at all conditions which would let you do some tuning adjustments of your own.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
The gen 4 lets you pick the AFR and the bike more or less tunes itself to get your number for you. From what I have read recently the gen 4 no longer uses the AFR in the mid range and now only uses it in the wide open throttle part of the control range but it still displays AFR at all conditions which would let you do some tuning adjustments of your own.
It sounds like an impressive little unit if it works as easy as that!

Definitely easier than the PC-V with AT unit and half the price.

Good to know. The only downside I can see is a sensor inlet needs to be welded on to the older (Pre-08) Vic's two exhaust header pipes.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts