Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to purchase new riding glasses and the closest motorcycle store happened to be a Harley dealer, so I went there looked at some glasses but nobody said hi or even how can I help you. I felt like I was an alien, Holy Crap I am alien not only was I riding a Victory, I forgot I was wearing a Christmas gift my wife gave and of course it was a Victory shirt. I was some what disappointed with the whole atmosphere. Can't we all get along ! !

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Lost sale

Sounds to me like they short changed themselfs out of some money they could have made from you. People with their noses in the air----. Get yourself some better glasses elsewhere. I would not want Harley Davidson on the side of my glasses anyway, but if you do great, go buy them elsewhere where the people may want your hard earned green. My barbare today seen my Victory and said those are the next best thing to a Harley. I said personally I would rather have the Victory, but if somebody wants a Harley that's great, that's their business. Let him sit on my bike. Pointed out the ease of maintence on a service, got him thinking a bit. Needless to say he is new to motorcycles and is just thinking of getting a bike.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I needed to purchase new riding glasses and the closest motorcycle store happened to be a Harley dealer, so I went there looked at some glasses but nobody said hi or even how can I help you. I felt like I was an alien, Holy Crap I am alien not only was I riding a Victory, I forgot I was wearing a Christmas gift my wife gave and of course it was a Victory shirt. I was some what disappointed with the whole atmosphere. Can't we all get along ! !

It's strange but since I bought the Vic the Harley guys are waving at me........... I was thinking maybe there is room for 2 American motorcycles !!!
BUT
I am not sure I would feel comfy with my XCT all by its self in a Harley dealer parking lot!!!
Witch is to bad because I would like to take a Ultra for a test ride.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get lots of waves from HD riders, I was saying that I got crappy service because of my bike and shirt. They did have glasses with out HD on them.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Scottsdale Harley has it right. They treat everyone great from the moment you walk in Neil you leave. If I ever buy another HD it will be from them

·
Registered
106 Posts
Scottsdale Harley has it right. They treat everyone great from the moment you walk in Neil you leave. If I ever buy another HD it will be from them
Beach house Harley in NC same... No Kool_Aid. They don't sell "lifestyle" just motorcycles. Harley riders routinely travel the nice hour ride up there rather than go to MB Harley. Cannot say I blame them. Sales people are not dressed like pirates or look like stereo typical bikers . Service is accommodating. Place is really nice too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to believe that since we ride on two wheels it would be nice for all of us to get along.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would like to believe that since we ride on two wheels it would be nice for all of us to get along.
Not all HD riders drink the Kool-Aid and they are just as dissed by those who hate them for buying into the "club" They are called "Wallet riders" They don't participate in the HD lifestyle. They may be walking billboards which I think looks silly.

When I walk into any place no one knows I rode a bike there. I dress like i am taking the truck out. I dress for the weather. That would not change with the bike badge.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Riding Hondas in the 70s and 80s I experienced real hostility. Things were different back then with the Jap scare and HD ailing. Often heard "Buy a Harley." Often followed with an FU. I still have all my front teeth. :eek: They really didn't like my '87 1100 Shadow.

I had a 22 year lapse in riding. Times have sure changed. HD riders are more mainstream than the greasy bastards of old. Most all I met are good people. Got my Vic KP several weeks ago from an HD/Polaris dealership. When looking for a bike I started looking at HDs. I was going to buy from an American co. Had a couple HD riders tell me I should check out the Vics. If I found a Harley Fat Bob before I found my KP I would have gotten it. In my several weeks of re riding I haven't seen any of the old hostility. Many HD riders have commented "Nice bike!" It would be interesting to borrow a Honda to test the waters.

Did you guys notice there is some kind of new wave out there? Just noticed it. Instead of the over the shoulder with left hand in a back and forth direction there is this below the handlebar kind of smoothing the air movement. I'm not real good at it yet but I am practicing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have been looking for a new open face helmet lately. I went into Harley of NOLA yesterday and as always was given a warm welcome and lots of help. That dealership is very well run. I wanted to buy from them, but the price difference between the Ultra and the XCT was too great.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Riding Hondas in the 70s and 80s I experienced real hostility. Things were different back then with the Jap scare and HD ailing. Often heard "Buy a Harley." Often followed with an FU. I still have all my front teeth. :eek: They really didn't like my '87 1100 Shadow.

I had a 22 year lapse in riding. Times have sure changed. HD riders are more mainstream than the greasy bastards of old. Most all I met are good people. Got my Vic KP several weeks ago from an HD/Polaris dealership. When looking for a bike I started looking at HDs. I was going to buy from an American co. Had a couple HD riders tell me I should check out the Vics. If I found a Harley Fat Bob before I found my KP I would have gotten it. In my several weeks of re riding I haven't seen any of the old hostility. Many HD riders have commented "Nice bike!" It would be interesting to borrow a Honda to test the waters.

Did you guys notice there is some kind of new wave out there? Just noticed it. Instead of the over the shoulder with left hand in a back and forth direction there is this below the handlebar kind of smoothing the air movement. I'm not real good at it yet but I am practicing.
Yeah, it's not the boaters wave anymore...

I get a return wave from all two-wheelers 90% of the time. I even had a guy on a Moped, in the opposite shoulder (thankfully) wave at me. I quickly returned the wave and chuckled. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts

Sure it wasn't the dealership and not the fact you had a Vic shirt on or rode in on a Vic? I ask this because I have gone to a HD dealer on my HD and wearing the HD shirt and not been helped. Also since I am now trying to gather as much knowledge as I can about the Vic ( looking to upgrade in a few months) I have been helped at one dealership ( rode in on my HD ) and not another ( in my cage but wearing. HD shirt).

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
57 Posts
I can't say much about dealerships since I avoid most but most hardley riders don't give me much grief about my vegas but I can tell they think my bike is sub par compared to there's. Had one guy say well a least it's American.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah, it's not the boaters wave anymore...

I get a return wave from all two-wheelers 90% of the time. I even had a guy on a Moped, in the opposite shoulder (thankfully) wave at me. I quickly returned the wave and chuckled. :D
Some of them wave cause there not sharp enough to recognize the headlight/front end of our bikes. They be like I just waved at a Vic, now I got cooties, ugghhhh! Lol.. That's how some of them act. Ive had some that recognize that v shaped bullet shining not even drop a hand. That's fine cause I wouldn't want them to drop that relic of a motorcycle all over the clean Hwy anyway. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I guess it is where I ride or how I carry myself I've never had an issue with getting the cold shoulder from dealerships or shops of any kind with any of my bikes. I get the typical "hey-how-ya-doing" ribbing but it is more over picking on each other then what I ride from my local private shop. His HD has been on his lift much more then any of my bikes but he likes to tinker with it and it breathes fire with his setup.

I've had the "you should buy American" or "lets try a real American bike" from some sales guys but it wasn't anything other then a comment after a get to know you conversation. I have even had a salesman come out to look at my XCT because he'd never seen one in person yet.

I've met plenty of meatheads who will not give me the time of day because I don't ride HD but I've got my own watch I don't need to talk to them. The group of people I ride with couldn't care less what is under the seat just that you put the miles on and do it safely.

·
Registered
12,241 Posts
Whenever I go to the H-D dealer nearest me, I am always greeted warmly by the staff. They are attired in dealer furnished shirts and have never failed to attempt to help me find what I'm looking for.
Their customers, on the other hand, are something else. In the parking lot, they will glance at my XR parked among the H-Ds and try very hard to avoid a second look.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts