Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'd like to say HI since I haven't been on since 2012! I have a 99 V92, she's got about 14,000 on it now. I bought it 3 years ago with 8,000 miles, have had a great time with it, with my wife and the group I ride with from church. Some overnighters and what not. Last summer about a week before the last over night ride up north, she started making a noise out the exhaust. I have never heard such a noise. I brought it over to a buddies house, he is a great mechanic. He suspected it was a busted valve spring. He said he would not ride it, but wanted my wife and I to go still and offered me his 01 'wing to ride, as he was gonna borrow a Victory to ride. (perks of his job) That was very nice of him. He went to work (happens to work for Polaris at the R&D center) and talked to a co-worker who was there when all of the first gen issues where happening, and was on the project to fix them. He said right away after a description it was a valve spring, and told my guy exactly how to fix it. He then said, is he having tranny issues. I indeed was having an issue of it popping out of gear after a long time riding. He then said, fix the valve and sell it or tear it down cause the tranny is gonna go. We all know of the common issues there. So new years eve, we set to work. At the stroke of 12 the engine was on the table. It was now up to me to decide. Fix the valves, or do it all. My guy said if you fix it all you will have a worry free ride you can ride for a while. Just more labor and parts. Well as long as the motor is out.....Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, after all new updated valve springs, a new-used trans, the fix for the shift drum shaft, and new forks (all mine where worn due to the bearing walking out of the case---the common problem) got an updated front sprocket and nut, the updated shift detent star wheel etc on the left side of the motor, and a bunch more parts we found along the way to upgrade...we tightened the last bolt and hooked the last wire and we have ignition!!! What a project, just to fix the bearing you have to split the case which means the entire motor has to come apart!! I'll quit rambling on here for now, and will add pics later. Just wanted to say IM BACK!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well congrats on the fix. Glad you're back.

2000 V92SC
Middle Tenn
it ain't stock...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Goodonya Whiplash, get out and ride it while you have the summer, its winter here so only ride on the good days thumb up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts