Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'09 with 15k miles and runs like the engine is full of rocks. Mondo vibration. Been to the shop so many times I lost count. Has PCV, tried all maps, tried 3 settings of timing wheel. Feels like the crank bearings are bad. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!:crying

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Sorry to hear but whatever is going on with your bike is typical of Victory.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
'09 with 15k miles and runs like the engine is full of rocks. Mondo vibration. Been to the shop so many times I lost count. Has PCV, tried all maps, tried 3 settings of timing wheel. Feels like the crank bearings are bad. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!:crying
Sorry to hear that. Have you checked all the mount points of the engine for tight connections. What have you (or a mechanic) done so far to correct this?

This is very atypical for a Victory. In fact in 10 years; this is the first time I've heard of this problem.

Tell us more. Does it happen at idle, when riding, in all gears and speeds? Is the engine pulley tight?

·
Premium Member
6,148 Posts
What shop have you been too ?

Is there a vic guru in your area ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Runs fine up to 1200 rpm, then heavy vibration. I have another Jackpot and it runs great. Had this problem with my first Jackpot and it turned out to be a collapsed fuel line.

Dealer won't work on it because it has a PCV and they don't have software. Going to take the PCV off and start from scratch. Instincts tell me the fuel system is compromised somewhere. Giuess I'll just start with a new fuel pump and go from there.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
I understand your frustration but it does sound like a very fixable issue. Perhaps if you had a competent Victory or Independent mechanic in your area that understands the very basic Power Commander tuners.

It may be the ECU needs to be reflashed/replaced or something like what you said; a fuel delivery issue from the injectors to the computer to the tune to the fuel pump.

Could be the PC-V failed too. I think you're smart to take it offline first.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
My mechanic of 10 years says it has 2 throttle bodies! Whaaaa?:eek
Sheesh! Time for a new guy for sure. I lived in San Diego for 20 years. Got stationed there in the Navy then stayed until I couldn't bear it any longer due to prices and overpopulation.

Where is this mechanic? I doubt it's anyone I know since I've been gone for 20 years. Hmmm... 20 and 20. :)

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
My mechanic of 10 years says it has 2 throttle bodies! Whaaaa?:eek
It has one throttle body with 2 butterflies, one for each cylinder.

The rubber throttle body adaptor is probably dry-rotted or the IAV hoses are shot... INTAKE AIR LEAK.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The rubber throttle body adaptor is probably dry-rotted or the IAV hoses are shot... INTAKE AIR LEAK.
It's likely, considering it's 10 years old with only 15k miles...

·
Registered
308 Posts
It has one throttle body with 2 butterflies, one for each cylinder.

. Most likely IMHO or as you noted the PCV did it's thing and died..... Apparently those things wreak havoc when the crap out. LMYR

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
. Most likely IMHO or as you noted the PCV did it's thing and died..... Apparently those things wreak havoc when the crap out. LMYR
I didn't say anything about a PCV.... I said it's an intake air leak, air getting into the intake that is NOT coming through the throttle body. Rubber parts last about 10 years, regardless of mileage and the bike is a 2009...

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Has anyone checked the fuel pressure?

It runs like it's full of rocks or it SOUNDS like it's full of rocks? If you want some internet troubleshooting, you will have to be far more specific on what the symptoms are.

If 'the shop' can't figure out what's wrong with it after trying more than once, I would assume 'the shop' is incompetent. It's just nuts and bolts and wires... either you know how to troubleshoot or you don't.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My apologies. I misquoted. That was BBob. Just the same, when they crap out so does a cylinder or two. Is it the issue? Maybe not ......but then just maybe....Again, please accept my apologies for misquoting. LMYR

·
Registered
255 Posts
Has anybody considered coating outside of the boots with High Temp Silicone to seal the cracks?
This would be a temporary fix of course but would let you know it this is really the issue.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
Has anybody considered coating outside of the boots with High Temp Silicone to seal the cracks?
This would be a temporary fix of course but would let you know it this is really the issue.
Yes; it will work for a while. You could even make it last longer if needed by following up with a wrap of Gaffers or Electrical tape. Might even last years like that.

I would recommend the black silicone.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
It's really the issue. Take it off and bend it... the cracks will be readily apparent. Don't buy the part until you verify this, if you're unsure.

The throttle body adaptor is like $90. If you can't afford one, you shouldn't own a motorcycle. When it needs tires are you gonna silicone them too?

If it isn't shot now, it certainly will be soon on a 10 year old bike. ALL rubber parts have a limited lifespan. The fuel lines, the intake, the hoses on the IAV, the O-rings in the injectors, even the grommets that hold the cheese wedges and the side covers on need periodic replacement. Hell, if they were tires they would have expired 4 years ago! Replacing all the rubber stuff will cost a little over $400 just for the parts (tires excluded).

This is exactly why dealerships don't work on bikes more than 10 years old. Once you start taking it apart, EVERYTHING rubber that you touch disintegrates in your hand or you break it taking it off. Some guy who bought a bike for $1,000 isn't going to want to spend $2000 to get it back together.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
I would recommend that if you're taking it apart to silicone it, you might as well replace it, that way you don't have to take it apart twice.
I doubt anyone would disagree but that wasn't the person's question. He wanted to know if it would work as a temporary fix and I know of one person who did this. Theoretically it could be done every year or two if the boots were no longer available.

I'm sure you know about the metal ones being sold now. I see them on FB all the time. It's a more permanent fix than the OEM rubber boots.

Back in the day when we were all on a shoestring budget we did all kinds of things to cut corners or make parts work for another season or year. Not the best way to run a railroad but it worked to keep us on two wheels and riding. Feels like a 100 years ago now...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts