Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I'm new to the board and have done a bit of browsing and reading. I am interested in the Cross Country. I currently ride a Honda 1300 VTX. I have done a lot to it but it will never be able to be upgraded to what I would like without invseting more than it's worth. I know nothing about the XC. I like the throaty tone of my VTX. How is the XC and is there an aftermarket option to give the Vic and appealing rumble and not compromise power. Are there options for descent horse power gains? I like my highway pegs and was concerned with with the crash bar I had seen on these bikes that may not be an option. How much of this information amoung many other questions can I expect to be able to gleen at a dealership?

Your input is greatly appreciated

Scott~

·
Registered
579 Posts
The XC stock is very quiet. There are options to make it as loud as you want.

Adding pipes and a controller give a modest gain. If you want even more of a bump, you do cams.

There are highway pegs you can mount to the forged bars. They have mounting locations on the bars. I find I don't need them due to the size of the floorboards. I have plenty of movement for my feet.

Go to a dealer and ask to ride one.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
If you think you have questions now; wait till you mosey on over to the Cross Country forum and read threads going back a few years now.

Seriously; scan through those threads and read the ones you think you will find interesting and not only will many of your questions be answered; you will think of a bunch of new ones with your newly found knowledge on the subject. No need to read all of them; just the ones that interest you.

http://www.victoryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
I used to ride a VTX as well.
You can get a number of exhausts to make it sound how you want.
The forged crash bars are the best looking bars IMHO and if you have short legs like me, you can either get the floorboard mounted pegs to let you stretch out and have a nice place to rest your foot. Or you can get the mount that goes on the forged bars and buy an extension to bring the pegs closer to you.
You have Llyodz cams to get you going faster if you want http://www.lloydz.com/

Go test ride a Cross Country, you won't regret it thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
kiazan, I can answer about all the questions. The 1300 VTX-C is exactly where I came from.

Pegs- answered. You can stretch out now on the Vic's but pegs are out there and easy to install.
Pipes- I had Vance and Hines on my VTX. LOVED the sound but a little loud after a while. Now XC has many choices. I have D&D's and although it is different I really like it. Deep sound, barks when you get on it BUT I can still hear the stereo which is one of the reasons I bought this bike. BTW, I installed an amp and 6 1/2" speakers so I'm better be able to hear it but it wasn't needed Just wanted. LOL
Power- I'll be very honest here. Overall, the VTX can't even hold a candle to the 106's but HONEST here, just off idle at low rpm's the VTX seemed to have more torque, ONLY very low. The Vic motor likes RPM's and really runs at 2500 and up. IF you get acrossed an intersection in front of me enjoy that second or two because the Vic is going to go flyin by real quick. Again, It may just be a feeling in the butt going by sound. As you know, you could lug a VTX and it will pull nicely. Vic needs just a few more RPM's and it isn't even close then.
PLUS, You can get more power out of these motors pretty easy. Just a filter and pulling the air strip in front of the intake gains you a few HP easy. A buddy puts Lloyds cams in and saw 114HP/115Torque with a controller tuned by him to.

I really liked my Honda but I have absolutely Zero regrets buying the Vic XC. Many many looks at the gas station etc with this bike. Be ready to field lots of question about them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Overall, the VTX can't even hold a candle to the 106's but HONEST here, just off idle at low rpm's the VTX seemed to have more torque, ONLY very low.
Just to be clear, you are talking about the 1300 VTX (80 ci). The 1800 (110ci) will eat an XC for lunch. I've had both a 1300 and an 1800 prior to my XCT. I do miss the 1800's power, but bought the Victory for a reason.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
kiazan, I can answer about all the questions. The 1300 VTX-C is exactly where I came from.

Just to be clear, you are talking about the 1300 VTX (80 ci). The 1800 (110ci) will eat an XC for lunch. I've had both a 1300 and an 1800 prior to my XCT. I do miss the 1800's power, but bought the Victory for a reason.
In his first 2 sentences, he establishes that fact for all thumb up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to ride a VTX as well.
You can get a number of exhausts to make it sound how you want.
The forged crash bars are the best looking bars IMHO and if you have short legs like me, you can either get the floorboard mounted pegs to let you stretch out and have a nice place to rest your foot. Or you can get the mount that goes on the forged bars and buy an extension to bring the pegs closer to you.
You have Llyodz cams to get you going faster if you want http://www.lloydz.com/

Go test ride a Cross Country, you won't regret it thumb up
Hey Spike good to see you here. I have been a regular reader on the VTXOA and have appreciated many of your helpful post. True to form that link you posted answered all of my questions about performance options.

Thanks to everyone else for their helpful input as well. Time to go for a ride.

Scott~

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
is there anyone on here who didnt have a vtx previously?
you will definitley enjoy the ride and the ability to stretch
out.the cross bikes have a ton more suspension travel
and your mileage should be close or maybe more--enjoy!
--irv

·
Registered
20 Posts
is there anyone on here who didnt have a vtx previously?
you will definitley enjoy the ride and the ability to stretch
out.the cross bikes have a ton more suspension travel
and your mileage should be close or maybe more--enjoy!
--irv
YES!!! I had a Suzuki C-50. But agreed on all points

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for having my back Spike.

I wasn't trying to be an arse. I was indeed speaking of the 1300. And I said, it may be a wrong feeling but it seems to me like at very low lugging so to speak RPM's the VTX will jump out in front a little. Vic will then take over. I'm not slamming Honda's or putting our Vic's on a pedastal. Vic should out run a 1300 and it does. I agree 1800 VTX is a different monster for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts