Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm having a lot of fun at the same time.

Bought a set of 2008 Vision wheels that had lots of nicks and scratches on them. Figured if I could polish them up and perhaps paint them, I can have a pretty unique XC.
I've never refinished anything like this before, but I figured I'd give it a shot. The wheels were cheap so if I destroy them, no big deal, and I am learning so it's worth it anyway.
Not done with them, but figured I'd share.

Before and After:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Cool! That's the way you learn, by doing it.

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
Looks like you had a good teacher and were paying attention. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything I've seen says they will, so I'm going for it. I want to paint the spokes to match the bike... :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Everything I've seen says they will, so I'm going for it. I want to paint the spokes to match the bike... :)
Dude....... do it!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will you be clear coating the non painted parts of the wheels?

Probably; I want to minimize maintenance. I'll probably clear the whole thing once the blue is in.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'll be watching closely. If it ends well, there might be somebody showing up at your place with a set of wheels. :grin

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I didn't know Vision wheels would fit a Cross Country.
Since the XCT and Vision have different forks, I'd take a look at the hub dimensions and be cautious of the axle spacers...they may not be the same between the bikes.
( @broggyr I thought of this yesterday as I was mowing the lawn... seriously)

·
Registered
612 Posts
that looks very kewl man....can't wait to see the end result...8)

Rob

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
That are awsome rims .... But i do not like the 2 dots per spoke, you could remove them and your rims would look smoother ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
812 Posts
if you work a them you might be able to get a chrome plish out of them, not sure what you are really going for. I did this years ago for Yamaha vstar 100.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@attbvyrne I know if I put a **** ton of work into them, I can get a mirror shine. But these wheels have so many imperfections in them that a mirror shine would showcase them. If I can get a shiny aluminum finish comparable to the OEM wheels, I'll be happy with that.

@PaiN There's a guy on the VOG who put Vision wheels on his XCT and had no issues. In fact, the later visions came with the same wheel as the XCTs. I just checked the spacers and both the 2008 Vision and the 2013 XCT use the same ones.

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/vic/503f5d46f8700222b84922d5/wheels-front-all-options

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That are awsome rims .... But i do not like the 2 dots per spoke, you could remove them and your rims would look smoother ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

The dots are only on one side and I believe they are artifacts from the casting process. Having said that, I could definitely remove them. it would just take a bit of time. I might just do that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The dots are only on one side and I believe they are artifacts from the casting process. Having said that, I could definitely remove them. it would just take a bit of time. I might just do that.
I would grind those casting marks off. Then, think contrast cut like the X1 rim, I would paint the rims after masking off the inside bevel. I'm not sure I'd paint them blue, but that might be cool; it's just that sometimes too much of the same color is, well, too much. I might go with gloss black - but then again that may be too much like stock.

Anyway, sort of like this:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Come to think of it you could mask off the ridges in the center as well...

You're a computer guy, take a picture and find a decent paint program and make some comps. Oh, and share them with us.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am NOT a huge fan of the contrast cuts, either with the OEM wheels or even more so on aftermarket rims. They're popular, but they are not for me.

Being a computer guy doesn't automatically make me a graphic artist; quite frankly, I suck at that stuff. You'll have to suffer with old-fashioned digital photos :D :D

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I was thinking all blue might be a bit to much also. What about the ridge in the center of spoke and then the edge of spoke blue it would be like outlining the rim.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts