Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This passed August my place was green. Usually it is brown and I don't have to mow much more than the yards and I am watering to keep them green. But we had ample rain this year and I was mowing 3 days a week. Trying to keep the weeds down and the grass cut. The rain quit a couple of weeks ago. The growth of the grass and weeds slowed way down. I only had to mow about 3 hours yesterday. Everything else could wait another week. But, now rain is back in the forecast for the next 6 or 7 days. So I'll be on the mower a lot next week. Even though the night time temps have drop in to the 50's. Some mornings in the low 50's. The farmers don't need the rain. They need it hot and dry for the cotton bows to open up. They don't want rain that can cause a second growth on the cotton plants. Well hell life on the Texas low rolling plains. It's raining now....................

·
Registered
888 Posts
Meanwhile, 4000 km north, rain has only been a thought since April. Drier than a popcorn fart in a sandstorm, lightning has incinerated many parts of the west and put others under evacuation alerts. For hundreds of miles the smoke reminds others what is going on. Many of the fires are man-made and getting caught throwing a cigarette out the car window gets you a $575 fine.

This isn't the first time and the area will be scarred for years to come.

Mother Nature is pissed off at something.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Our monsoon season which is kind of a daily blow through of clouds producing thunder, lightening, and varying amounts of rain went extra long this year and just ended the other day. I have 10' tall weeds in my back 40 I do nothing with but will have to knock those down at some point because they are a fire hazard when dry. These particular weeds are kinda like a huge tumbleweed that will break off at the base when dry and blow all over the place.

Sometimes these odd weeds will blow around in the wind until stopped by a fence or structure and pile higher than a house. It's the property owners responsibility to take care of them even if they had nothing to do with them and kept their own property free of them. Basically they are a real pain in the butt.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have cleared many a fence of tumble weeds in my life. I'm lucky this year. The farmers have keep everything cleaned up pretty good. So it shouldn't be to bad this winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts