Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a lot and when the weather has been cold/wet, you don't see a lot of guys out until it warms up considerably. So, I was out this past weekend and though it was pretty chilly, I saw quite a few guys. I'm sure that they had been itching to get out and because of the nasty weather we were having, they finally found a window and decided to take what they could get.

So about 52° F with the sun out is about my limit. I still wrap up pretty well but can get a couple of hours riding time in and I'm good to go for a little while.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I saw a policeman on his scoot today , roads all wet with melting snow , salt everywhere and chilly here but he was out on his HD .

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Here in Indiana we ride till there is ice on the road, sometimes into December. Then as soon as the snow melts late winter us Hoosiers are out sliding on the sand that is still left on the road. Very dangerous conditions with sand but the die hards are out riding. My cut off is about 40 degrees, I do not have a windshield or fairing like most of you woosies :nerd

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
My cutoff is about 40° also. But because of the winter, as soon as they spray the roads with that liquid salty concoction, I keep the bike in until March/April. That crap is so corrosive :p

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'll ride into the mid-20s, if the roads are dry. Add the potential for black ice, and I'm out. Reaction time is considerably slower at those temps, but luckily, I can pretty much ride year 'round.

Reactions: mark4Jesus

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I usually commute on the bike year round. Here in the desert it can dip into the twenties on some winter nights, but I'll ride as long as it's above freezing. I make 32f my limit due to danger from ice. I won't ride in the rain because it makes the cagers out here got guano crazy. I don't mind getting a little wet, but I do mind getting run over.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Want to bet?? You have never rode down here have ya? :eek
Since you put it that way, I see your point.

Not a day goes by where I don't see a potential for loss of life due to stupidity.

I was behind a lady(in my car) the other day merging into traffic on the interstate and watched as she attempted to merge into 18 wheeler carrying new car. The truck driver laid on his horn. I have to ride next to the idiots to see what they look like after such an incident. She was a black lady, maybe in mid 20's, looked like she just wasn't paying attention.

I try to keep my bike as far away from heavy traffic areas as I can.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I will ride when the low is above 25. I don't mind 40's for the high. I didn't ride to work this morning, temp was 29, because there were areas of dense fog. I wasn't sure how the windshield would do passing through fog at 29 degrees.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I will ride when the low is above 25. I don't mind 40's for the high. I didn't ride to work this morning, temp was 29, because there were areas of dense fog. I wasn't sure how the windshield would do passing through fog at 29 degrees.
If you can't see over your windshield, that could be a disaster.:eek

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
We ride year round. If it's below 45 degrees I'm not going far, but I'll go.
If there is ice, count me out.
If there is salt on everything, count me out. I promised my bike I wouldn't subject it to the salt again. Once a good rain washes away the salt, I'm in.

Blue Balls Poker Run this coming Sunday! Weatherman says 50-ish. I'll be riding the Dyna stunt bike since mine is still in pieces waiting for the cylinders/pistons.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Blue Balls Poker Run this coming Sunday! Weatherman says 50-ish. I'll be riding the Dyna stunt bike since mine is still in pieces waiting for the cylinders/pistons.
Going bigger?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Going bigger?
Well, yeah!

Maybe I never posted it here... but I broke it pretty good. At 95,000 miles the transmission shredded a bearing on the mainshaft.

When it came apart, it became evident that the pistons were scuffed up pretty bad (apparently it got pretty damned hot a time or two).

Lloydz no longer does 103mm bore (110 cubic inches). I have to go to 114 or 116 cubic inches. Price is the same, so guess what?

Everything else is rebuilt and back together... just need the 116" jugs and pistons.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts