Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am heading to work on my XCT.
I just turned left onto the ramp that does a tight S before it dumps you onto the highway. This is a fairly steep up hill run.

As I was coming into the last section of the S turn I see a bike on my ASS...

So I figure I would show this guy why I ride a victory and pin the throttle lean hard and as I am just exiting the S turn on the up hill section with the tach blowing past 3500 ........... That bike goes by me in my lane like I am standing still. I couldn't catch it ..... It was a MAJOR MISS MATCH...

The bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan.
I don't know if it was the old 1500 or the new 1700

All I know is if that guy was pulling a trailer I still had no chance of keeping up.

And this wasn't a case that he crawled away .... He was gone like a sport bike.

This really sucks......

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan.
I don't know if it was the old 1500 or the new 1700
I rode a 1500 Mean Streak once at a rally demo. It sounded pretty good and was comfy enough, but we got on the highway in Knoxville and the damn thing didn't have the power to get out of its own way.

I'm thinking either one of your cylinders went bad, he was on the Vulcan 2k, or you just met a better rider.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rode a 1500 Mean Streak once at a rally demo. It sounded pretty good and was comfy enough, but we got on the highway in Knoxville and the damn thing didn't have the power to get out of its own way.

I'm thinking either one of your cylinders went bad, he was on the Vulcan 2k, or you just met a better rider.
It might have been a 2k but looked like a Vulcan ...
And other than tie a rope on that bike ... There was nothing else I could do.

I never found my bike very quick. I am on the pin a lot. I figured it was just a heavy bike. But now I am thinking lead sled......

·
Registered
273 Posts
It might have been a 2k but looked like a Vulcan ...
And other than tie a rope on that bike ... There was nothing else I could do.

I never found my bike very quick. I am on the pin a lot. I figured it was just a heavy bike. But now I am thinking lead sled......
i would say the 2k for sure.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Since I came from a vulcan 1600 there is NO WAY my XCT couldn't kick the living crap out of that Kawasaki. I just came back from a long vacation in Colorado at a Vulcan convention and nobody wanted a piece of the Big Vic.

Today I left a harley dealer in Costa Mesa and some idiot on a 103 ultra dove underneath me almost hitting me to get on the 5 northbound. I came out of the sharp right turn upset because he didn't miss me by much. Of course he had long shots on and jumped on it. I had 3K rpms in hand and hammered it because little traffic was coming. He was on it too because his bike got super loud. I passed him before shifting one gear and by the time I got to the carpool lane i had 50 yards on him and was quite of bit over 100.

1500-1600 stock Vulcan no way no chance no how. You might have got dusted by a VN2000...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope it was a 2000 because it would be a real slap in the face if it wasn't .....

This guy was on my ass so he didn't get a run on me. And he went by like I was standing still. I tried to keep up and no way.

I have a buddy with a Vulcan and I didn't find his lacking any power.
I guess we will have to have a go and see if my XCT is on the lazy side.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
VN1500 vs. Freedom 106 is most likely gonna be you watching a headlight get dimmer in your rearview. Plenty fast bike in the 90s, but just doesn't hold up today.

VN1600 vs. Freedom 106...a Mean Streak might give you a little spook, till you really laid in it. Then it's gonna be the Vic, no problem. Potentially a Meanie with some aftermarket could make you work for it.

VN1700 vs Freedom 106 is gonna come down to rider skill, unless the VN1700 was like most and was sucking air around the intake manifolds...in which case you'd casually walk away from it. Some aftermarket tuning could give an advantage, but not one that couldn't be demolished by the same amount of money spent on the 106.

The V2K however...the V2K makes 116 horsepower and 141 ft-lbs of torque. That is a damn mean bike. You likely got dusted off by the world's largest mass-produced V-twin.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The V2K however...the V2K makes 116 horsepower and 141 ft-lbs of torque. That is a damn mean bike. You likely got dusted off by the world's largest mass-produced V-twin.[/QUOTE]

Impressive numbers
I didn't know it was mass produced. Not many around here.
I have ridden with a guy that had one. He didn't let anyone know what a weapon it was..
Like most cruiser riders he was a very sedate biker.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had a Voyager 1700 with Tri-ovals , FI 2000, and Dynojet Airkit. It was strong. Vic's are lighter and breath a little deeper. My Vic today would out run my Kawi.

One of my riding buds has a VTX 1800, slight mods and he never gets on it but when he does she will get up pull like a freight train. I rode it and it had impressive power and torque.

Well if it bothers you. I would look into some after mkt goodies and throw a Lloyds timing wheel in there too. Mines going in monday night. one more step forward for mankind. thumb up

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a Voyager 1700 with Tri-ovals , FI 2000, and Dynojet Airkit. It was strong. Vic's are lighter and breath a little deeper. My Vic today would out run my Kawi.

One of my riding buds has a VTX 1800, slight mods and he never gets on it but when he does she will get up pull like a freight train. I rode it and it had impressive power and torque.

Well if it bothers you. I would look into some after mkt goodies and throw a Lloyds timing wheel in there too. Mines going in monday night. one more step forward for mankind. thumb up
I am going to order the timing wheel. I just don't want to do anything that will give them a reason to void my warranty. If I ever need it that is.....
I have a trailer I pulled with my last bike. It's been in the basement for the last 2 summers. I figured I better not install the hitch while the bikes under warranty ...

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
A couple of you are talking about 3,000 and 3,500 RPMs like that's all your bike will produce. C'mon fellas, twist that wrist, the limiter will let you know when its time to ease off.
If you haven't installed the adjustable timing wheel, you're missing out on a lot of available power. Lead sled indeed...bah humbug!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A couple of you are talking about 3,000 and 3,500 RPMs like that's all your bike will produce. C'mon fellas, twist that wrist, the limiter will let you know when its time to ease off.
If you haven't installed the adjustable timing wheel, you're missing out on a lot of available power. Lead sled indeed...bah humbug!
My bike gets soft at 4500
It's a wast of time and power to not shift before it hits the fluffy zone..
Do they have a soft limiter to let you know your getting close to the hard limiter.
I test rode both the vision and XCT before I bought my bike. I didn't find ether that impressive when it comes to arm stretching power.
There is no power band at higher RPMs. I don't see any difference in power between 2500-4500. The power seems fairly flat across the rev range.
I did unplug the 02 sensors for a tank of gas and yes that made a big difference. The bike pulled harder and the exhaust note was different.
But 120 miles to the tank gets hard on the wallet. Easy 180 with them hooked up.......

Now I did take out a Vegas and the lighter bike and the 106 was Impressive
To me the stock 106 is more suited to a lighter bike. May have something to do with needing more torque..

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
My BMW R1150R feels like a rocket ship taking off, hard to hold on..... my CrossRoads, not. There's all sorts of bikes, hopefully anyone buying this one realizes what it is and what it isn't.

I love the rock solid stability of my Victory compared to my R1150R. I don't mind letting someone hotdog past me... fine.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Humm.... just did a little research and my Victory has more HP than my BWW R1150R... and the BMW quarter mile is listed as 13.35........ I couldn't find a stock Cross Roads quarter mile but it probably isn't that much slower..... maybe the 'rocket ship' effect of my BMW is torque?

Oh well.... I love my Victory and it goes plenty fast.

I'm going out tomorrow to try to find someone on a Vespa and SMOKE him!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Humm.... just did a little research and my Victory has more HP than my BWW R1150R... and the BMW quarter mile is listed as 13.35........ I couldn't find a stock Cross Roads quarter mile but it probably isn't that much slower..... maybe the 'rocket ship' effect of my BMW is torque?

Oh well.... I love my Victory and it goes plenty fast.

I'm going out tomorrow to try to find someone on a Vespa and SMOKE him!
Speaking of a Vespa
The other day I see a little scooter pulling a trailer.........
And this was on the highway.....

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Modified Stock Pipes
K&N air filter
G-man Bully FI Controller

this might not be set up right, have you had it dynoed. Did you set it up yourself? Weight ratio makes a big difference too! Some Victory baggers weight a ton.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The V2K however...the V2K makes 116 horsepower and 141 ft-lbs of torque. That is a damn mean bike. You likely got dusted off by the world's largest mass-produced V-twin.[/QUOTE]

is that at the crank or rear wheel :cool:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I came to Victory off of a 1500 Mean Streak with a bunch of stuff done to it. It was a monster up until about 80, after that I think about anything could take it. Between lights, hold on.
I've got a friend who has a VTX1800 and has done the common go fast goodies and my XCT will hang with him stock, never going around but he's not gone until about 70, after that I might as well not even be moving.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Or maybe it weighs half as much?

I have only found myself lacking power once with my XR and that's because I was still becoming acquainted to its low rev limit.

I put a giant barn door on the XR and it blocks a lot of wind noise that used to mask the lethargic sounds of the engine as it got up around 3k rpm.

I also removed the windscreen from my FJR and have been riding it around sport bike style.

I think even moving at the same speeds the naked FJR just "feels" faster.

If we had a BMW dealer closer, an R1200R would be high on my list of replacements for the FJR, even if it ain't faster. I luv me some beemer twin.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts