Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really do...the more I ride this bike the more I love it.

Did my first OIL CHANGE today (Amsoil w/WIX filter) and checking the oil is a pain.

I thought I hated SIGHT GLASSES like I had on my last bike, a Royal Star Venture...but now I don't think a sight glass is so bad!!!

Anyway...changing oil is easy...but checking it is a pain!!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Assuming the CCT oil is checked with a dip stick like the XR it is about 1000 times easier than the sight gage on my V Star 1300

What do you find so difficult about it
Not that I find either particularly hard, I would have to say that looking at a sight glass should be easier than unscrewing then looking at a dipstick. You get to skip that unscrewing step, no?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I had a sight glass on a BMW R850R - not too bad to check - and on a Suzuki 650 Burgman - very low, and recessed in behind a hole in the lower fairing, a real get-down-on-your-knees PITA to check.

Me, I find it odd that a bike with no centerstand gets its oil checked straight up and down. I would think it would be easier to have the dipstick long enough - or something like that - so that the level could be checked on the sidestand. You wouldn't have to be holding the bike up, which you don't have to do, either, when you change the oil, right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not that I find either particularly hard, I would have to say that looking at a sight glass should be easier than unscrewing then looking at a dipstick. You get to skip that unscrewing step, no?
You could get this dipstick from Witch Doctors. No more unscrewing the dipstick to check oil level - just pull out it out like on a car to quickly check oil level.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Only problem is the location of the glass and you had to have the bike vertical to get an accurate reading. The glass is in a bit of a dark area so even if you sit on the bike and use a mirror, unless you were out in the sunlight, you had to use a flashlight.

You could hold the bike up and bend over to look into the glass. As you might be able to imagine, you run the risk of dropping the bike :eek: You can also use block of wood to keep it most of the way vertical but you still run the risk of dropping the bike.

The easiest way is to have one person sit on the bike and another check the level. Of course that only works if you have someone else around :rolleyes:

So for me, sitting on the bike to keep it vertical and reaching down slightly even if you have to unscrew the cap is easier :D

·
13,002 Posts
I really do...the more I ride this bike the more I love it.

Did my first OIL CHANGE today (Amsoil w/WIX filter) and checking the oil is a pain.

I thought I hated SIGHT GLASSES like I had on my last bike, a Royal Star Venture...but now I don't think a sight glass is so bad!!!

Anyway...changing oil is easy...but checking it is a pain!!
I have a vision and when I check oil I put a 2x4 under the kick stand and then just do it.

Checking is better then NOT thumb up

·
Registered
372 Posts
Me, I find it odd that a bike with no centerstand gets its oil checked straight up and down. I would think it would be easier to have the dipstick long enough - or something like that - so that the level could be checked on the sidestand.
The dipstick is long enough. Check it holding it upright like the book says once and verify that it is at the full level then lean it onto the kickstand, pull the dipstick and clean it off then insert it back in like your going to check it again. Once you have that new oil level established on the dipstick, lightly notch the dipstick slightly in that spot (a light scribe from a hacksaw blade to the end of the long side of the stick is all that is needed) and you've got a new "full mark" from the kickstand to refer to for all future checks. Very simple, very effective and doesn't require a degree in engineering to figure out. I'm on my second Vic I've done this to.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The dipstick is long enough. Check it holding it upright like the book says once and verify that it is at the full level then lean it onto the kickstand, pull the dipstick and clean it off then insert it back in like your going to check it again. Once you have that new oil level established on the dipstick, lightly notch the dipstick slightly in that spot (a light scribe from a hacksaw blade to the end of the long side of the stick is all that is needed) and you've got a new "full mark" from the kickstand to refer to for all future checks. Very simple, very effective and doesn't require a degree in engineering to figure out. I'm on my second Vic I've done this to.
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Vulcan had a sight glass. a sight glass that tended to collect condensation when the bike wasn't in regular use. It'd take a good like ride to boil the gunk out. Nevermind I didn't care for holding a 680 pound bike up with one hand while crouched down next to it peering into a tiny dark alcove. I think the Vic dipstick is a nice change.

·
Registered
579 Posts
here's an easy way,
clean the dipstick,
stand over the bike, stand it upright, lean it back onto the side stand,
get off the bike,
pull the dipstick.

It will still have oil on it from when you stood it up.

Easy stuff cheers

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
This is my first bike with a dip stick. Hell, I didn't even know they made bikes with dip sticks until I started looking at cruisers. I really prefer a sight glass. I think it is just easier for a quick check. But then again I am really lazy and that glass could save me a whole 15 seconds.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Another fan of the sight glass, I've had nothing else since 1973! (my older bikes had dip sticks) This dip stick thing bugs me. Once I go through all the commotion with the stick I find that I have a hard time seeing the oil level. I'm holding a stick that is dripping oil but have no idea where the level is. After a few drips on the floor board and exhaust, I decide it must be full enough and screw the stick back in and ride off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts