Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deciding to buy a new bike was a no brainer. I'm riding a 09 VSTAR 950 which is an incredible bike, but falls short cruising at speeds over 60 for a long period of time.

I want a cruiser with a faring so there are only 2 choices. Victory XC or HD Street Glide. I've done months of searching the internet, reading forums, watching YouTube videos, etc. Hands down, the Victory XC beats the HD..... on paper. More bike for less money.

Yesterday I went to the HD dealer to sit on the Street Glide and ask the sales person questions on the functions of the bike, maintenance, accessories etc. The entire time talking to the salesperson my eye could not stay off the $23459 price tag. The only difference between that bike and the XC is throttle by wire and ABS. I get the whole Harley image and lifestyle thing, but is it worth $5000? This about the difference between a comparable XC and the SG.

Today, the Victory demo truck is coming to the dealer in Boring, OR. I going to head down, ride a XC, and hopefully have a new toy in my garage.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
A good thing about you being patient is that there is usually some kind of special offer when the Demo truck is there.

I've seen discounts up to $750.00 if you purchase the day the truck is there.

Good luck!thumb up

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
A good thing about you being patient is that there is usually some kind of special offer when the Demo truck is there.

I've seen discounts up to $750.00 if you purchase the day the truck is there.

Good luck!thumb up
When it was here in Corpus Christi last month they were giving away $1,000.00 in accessories, plus discount on X/C.
thumb up

·
Registered
566 Posts
Do it! You know you want to...

wac

·
Registered
381 Posts
It only took one ride to convince me.... :D

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Read my comparison thread on this exact issue...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Man....I'm trying desperately to save for a year, or close to it for a nice down payment on one, but the warmer the weather get, the less I feel I can wait .....Post up some pics of the new ride !

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
The seat and suspension sold me. Getting $1k off the price of the bike for being a Vet and getting the trunk thrown in was the icing on the cake.

Plus, with very little money, you can really wake up these bikes and give them a nice sound. Check out this thread for more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I DID IT!!!!

How could I refuse?

Took a white XC bike for a spin.... bad, bad buffeting. It was hard to determine how good / bad the bike was because of the buffeting. To top it off, I have progressive prescription lenses in my glasses. When they bounce, it's twice as bad because my vision is just shaking up and down. Came back kind of shaking my head (literally) because of it. Talked to the Victory guy and the store dealer and both said exactly what I thought. I need taller windshield and lowers. OK, I figured that. The other thing that bothered me was the sound, or should I say lack of sound. I could not hear the engine/exhaust so I was constantly looking at the tach trying to figure out if the bike was stalling or not. I was ready to head to the HD dealer with my tail between my legs.

What I didn't figure was the store owner willing to give me $6000 for my VSTAR 950 plus the $1000 off the bike if I buy the same weekend I test road. HUH! $6000 for my bike? Low book is $3200.

I walked over to the black one and said... I'll take it! It came with bag guards, stage 1 exhaust, a passenger backrest and lowers.

I figure I saved $8000 over a comparable Street Glide. How could I say NO?

Lowers helped considerably but I still need to get a better/ taller windshield. I could have gotten one from Polaris, but I figure an after market was probably going to be better.

This weekend..... I'm going to hit the road. (30% chance of rain... damn!)

·
Registered
161 Posts
CONGRATS!!! I'm 6' tall and am purchasing the 15" Cee Baileys windshield for my XC. The stock windshield(blade) creates way to much turbulence on me and I don't like to ride with a full face helmet.
My decision also came down to the Harley FLTRX or the Victory XC. I took a 35 mile test ride on the XC and the answer became instantly clear. Love my new Vic! thumb up

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah the bobblehead effect is common here. If you search the forums, many get either the taller flip sheild from Polaris or Cee Baileys Dragon. I got that and its MUCH better!

I traded in my Harley Ultra Classic for my new XC. Its by far a superior bike. The rear shocks are way better, The way I see it, since I like the looks of the street glide, I can leave on the trunk or pop it off quickly and it will look like either a street glide or a Ultra Classic. The big reason I got rid of the harley is because its a money pit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Congratulations!!! Buffeting is the main downfall of the XC. I put a 16" Cee Bailey's Cee Dragonwindshield on mine and it made a world of difference. The lowers help a bit but not all that much. They are great for a cool morning ride and keep your feet and legs comfortable. Best of luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The stock windshield is like the HD Road Glide Custom,it sucks period. When know its just looks not funtion. A good C-Baileys or a Gustafsson windshied and some lowers will fix it. You'll be much happier with the XC than your other choice. Been there, Done that, several times, Low Rider, Street Glide, 3 Road glides, Dana Screamin Chicken and a few more but I'll quit there. Love the Cross Country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Except for the buffeting... so far so good. Still getting used to a heavier bike with more torque and tons of features.

I do need to be better about the break in period. :(

Already made my first mod.... had to put the kuryakyn grips on. Stock grips were just too narrow. My right hand got tired real fast.

The guy at the Vision demo truck talked up a new windshield by one of the Ness boys. Said they designed a small shield with a flip and took it to a wind tunnel. This is probably going to be much more expensive than a CB, but the deal said he would have some is stock in about a week. I think I'll suffer through the buffeting until then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Congrats on the bike. Just about everyone that gets this bike makes 2 mods right off the bat.............Lowers and a taller shield. Once you do that your buffeting issues are eliminated. Enjoy her and be safe!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
dbrock950,
Welcome to the Victory clan. Where do you live? In Portland?

·
Premium Member
13,172 Posts
The guy at the Vision demo truck talked up a new windshield by one of the Ness boys. Said they designed a small shield with a flip and took it to a wind tunnel. This is probably going to be much more expensive than a CB, but the deal said he would have some is stock in about a week. I think I'll suffer through the buffeting until then.
Before you start getting a stack of windshields in your garage; you might want to do some reading on this and other forums concerning the various shields available for the XC's and make a more informed the decision. The Ness shield isn't getting very good reviews by the riders so far unless they're short.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll definitely do my research on windshields. I'm leaning towards the Cee Bailey's mainly because they look just like the stock shield, and are relatively inexpensive so if it doesn't work out, I'm not out that much money.

RICZ, I live in Tualatin. Should be easy to spot me.... I'm the one riding the Victory :D

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
RICZ, I live in Tualatin. Should be easy to spot me.... I'm the one riding the Victory :D
The nice folks at Portland Polaris are building a new facility just south of OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science & Industry) on the Willamette River and is scheduled to open sometime in June. They plan to have BBQs, etc. so we will have a central location to meet and socialize. Hope to see you there sometime. PP also sells ATVs, Spyder, Segway, snowmobiles and watercraft. Pretty interesting mix.cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
I DID IT!!!!

How could I refuse?

Took a white XC bike for a spin.... bad, bad buffeting. It was hard to determine how good / bad the bike was because of the buffeting. To top it off, I have progressive prescription lenses in my glasses. When they bounce, it's twice as bad because my vision is just shaking up and down. Came back kind of shaking my head (literally) because of it. Talked to the Victory guy and the store dealer and both said exactly what I thought. I need taller windshield and lowers. OK, I figured that. The other thing that bothered me was the sound, or should I say lack of sound. I could not hear the engine/exhaust so I was constantly looking at the tach trying to figure out if the bike was stalling or not. I was ready to head to the HD dealer with my tail between my legs.

What I didn't figure was the store owner willing to give me $6000 for my VSTAR 950 plus the $1000 off the bike if I buy the same weekend I test road. HUH! $6000 for my bike? Low book is $3200.

I walked over to the black one and said... I'll take it! It came with bag guards, stage 1 exhaust, a passenger backrest and lowers.

I figure I saved $8000 over a comparable Street Glide. How could I say NO?

Lowers helped considerably but I still need to get a better/ taller windshield. I could have gotten one from Polaris, but I figure an after market was probably going to be better.

This weekend..... I'm going to hit the road. (30% chance of rain... damn!)
Check out Gustaffson windshields. Got a dark tint +1 on my cross country. Has a flip at the top. The only thing is you have to drill your own holes for the bolts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts