Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all are doing well and staying say.
I need some tips when it comes to highway riding.
I suck at it.
Let me paint the picture.... I'll do my best
Speed limit 40 to 70mph.
The straights I can hold a line and curse 60 to 65mph no problem.
Coming up a long banking left hand turn.
Kinda nervous.
Slowing down to 50mph.
I can not hold a line.
If I am on the far right side of the road going into the turn
during the turn I find my self starting to creep towards the left side and almost going into the passing lane.
Any tips on what I need to be doing??

Same goes for the twisty on the highway.
I come in high and want shoot low and then come out high

Now for the hold on death is right next to me.
I'll admit I grabbed the brakes on this one.
Semi going wide in the turn and taking my lane and his lane.
I was on the out side of him.
He was passing me in the turn.
Was I smart to grab the brakes or should I have done something else??

Let me know guys
Enjoy your day
Patrick

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Make sure you are looking far ahead and looking where you want the bike to go (i.e. the part of the lane you want to be in). If a semi is passing you, then you are not going fast enough.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,567 Posts
Have you taken a riding course?

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Have you taken a riding course?
Absolutely agree, it seems getting your driving licence in the USA is a breeze in the park.... But in Europe it is really hard work, so yes agreed, take some riding lessons, then afterwards take a advance course, you will be AWSOME after doing the riding course

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I got yelled at a few times for not turning my head when turning.
This.
You will naturally go where you are looking.
If you do not look through your curves you will drift in your lane and struggle with holding a line.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try and deep breath and get relaxed while driving may help, but that doesnt mean take your focus off the line you wish to follow.
Look where you you want to be as you go through corner and your body and bike shall follow, in my early days..daydreaming and following flight paths of birds (2 legged also) occasionally had me white lining or drifting in sand at the side of the road :)
Try and avoid the faster pace roads until you get confidence up, remember you have the control, if its getting too much , pull off the road and stop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This.
You will naturally go where you are looking.
If you do not look through your curves you will drift in your lane and struggle with holding a line.
I have no problems when riding stop light to stop light.
But when I get on the highway something changes.
One thing I wish they taught in the class was how to battle cross winds.
I get pushed all over the road some times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Following truck trailers can draw you in and also turbulence on the sides, so if you're going to over take with nothing coming towards you.., mirror, signal..double check mirror and quick decisive over take then pull back in but dont pull in sharp immediately in front of them ,keep your speed up and stay out front,so they can see ya.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Following truck trailers can draw you in and also turbulence on the sides, so if you're going to over take with nothing coming towards you.., mirror, signal..double check mirror and quick decisive over take then pull back in but dont pull in sharp immediately in front of them ,keep your speed up and stay out front,so they can see ya.

I would add to the "check mirrors," to also turn your head and LOOK. Bikers have blind spots, just like cagers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very true, the "lifesaver" as I was taught. Even something as stupid as a new style helmet I tried out restricted my over the shoulder look, something I wasn't aware of until a mate of mine passed on the inside of me while I was cranked over on my gsxr750 around 130mph. Well he actually was under my elbow..that's when I thought..time for a coffee break. Isle of Man people are nutters on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
1) Look where you want to go, through the turn, as far as you can see.

No substitute for that. BIG-TIME, FULL-TWIST, head turns.

[Edit: forgot to mention: don't TARGET-FIXATE. That means, you're checking out the situation with your peripheral vision, while your primary focus is still THROUGH the turn. So don't fixate on your guardrail, the opposite-side traffic, etc. Instead, if you fixate on anything, it's the end of the turn or potential escape routes.]

2) Especially as a cornering newbie, get your braking done before turns.

And then practice GENTLY rolling on the throttle through the turn. This will stabilize the bike and its suspension, and add ground clearance.

3) Make sure you're leaning with the bike (or more than the bike), e.g., not trying to put your torso upright.

This and look-through should've been covered in your basic MSF course, but I'm just emphasizing this.

4) Learn about delayed-apex turning in a curve.

This will maximize your sight-line and minimize the time spent leaned over. See next item.

5) Read up on cornering techniques.

My suggestions:

- Cornering Confidence: The Formula for 100% Control In Curves Kindle Edition by Jon DelVecchio : https://www.amazon.com/Cornering-Confidence-Formula-Control-Curves-ebook/dp/B07MYQWBGK/

- Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well Updated & Expanded 2nd Edition by David L. Hough: https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding-ebook/dp/B004CLYCPM/

- Total Control:High Performance Street Riding Techniques, 2nd Edition by Lee Parks: https://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Lee-Parks-ebook/dp/B00R31222S/

6) Take some more courses.

When you're done with one or more of these, you should come away knowing that you can lean the bike more than you think you can, allowing you to tighten up a radius, and even brake, if need be, if the unexpected happens during turns.

My suggestions (depending on where you live, which I don't believe you've mentioned):

- The MSF's experienced course, or whatever they call it these days. This is the one on your own bike, not their little ones.

- Street Masters (west coast): Streetmasters Motorcycle Workshops Website

- Tony's Non-Sportbike Track Days (east coast): Non Sportbike Days
(I've done four of these days in the last five or six years, two on a Victory XCT and two on a 650 Burgman.)

- Lee Parks' Total Control: Motorcyclist Training Courses | Total Control Training
(About 15 years ago, I took his Advanced Riding Clinic, on a Valkyrie Interstate. Total Control classes are offered all over the country).

- Street Skills Motorcycle Training (east coast): Course Info | street-skills

7) In lieu of that, an on-line course, e.g.:

- Street Skills Cornering Confidence: Street Skills LLC

8) And if nothing else, then some empty parking lot drills you do yourself. Good time for that, these days. Go full ATTGAT, so a slide out will be a non-event.

That should do it for awhile.

·
Registered
968 Posts
There's not much I can add Patrick. Sounds like you're locking up. A motorcyclists version of a deer in the headlights. You're going into the corner on a specific arc and freeze up, can't change it. As already mentioned it's practice but what your missing is the confidence that comes with the practice. Watch this video a couple of times. It's a bit graphic but after you watch it the first time pay attention to a couple of things. One, the speed. This guy was not going that fast and it was an easy corner. Two, his handle bars. He saw the truck and the bars stayed where they were. He went where he was looking. He froze up and didn't even try to turn. GoPro video: Motorcycle crashes head-on into fire truck

Try less traveled and slower roads where you can practice at a speed that's comfortable for you. Get the technique down before you worry about the speed. And an important thing to concentrate on is the counter steering. Push those bars and lean your body properly. Many people think the bike is tilted over too far and don't want to push it any further. One, you're not leaning as far as you think you are and two, odds are you will touch down hard parts like floorboards or pegs before the tires let go.

Still on the slow roads, if you've got a riding buddy that's more experienced get him to follow you and see what he thinks. He'll probably agree you're not leaning the bike over that far. Then get him to lead at a speed you're comfortable with and try to follow his line. Increase the speed as you become comfortable.

Another solution is to contact the riding schools and ask for a private hour of instruction. A coupe of those will do you a world of good. And you can also watch some of this guys videos. Not the same a s practice but they couldn't hurt. ride like a pro - YouTube

Ahh, the one above me posted at the same time and it's similar. Practice and get some confidence Patrick.

·
13,177 Posts
Don't be afraid to take the course again. Most have advanced courses which might help you.
Get out on the back roads and just ride the more you get comfortable with riding. Do you have a buddy that rides? Go to the country and follow him and do what he does. Tell him you're having a hard time. If he's a real biker he'll help you

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Wind you just have to learn to deal with it. Only advice I have for that is forcing yourself to go out and ride on a day with 30 MPH winds.
I learned wind management riding a 250 for a year and yes I rode intestate with semis. A bike weighing not much more than me. You learn to anticipate and react quickly and naturally to wind with enough practice.

As with all things practice practice practice. You'll get your confidence up and improve with time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll probably get yelled at for this.
When I am on the highway during a long banking turn.
I find my self turning than straightening out than turning and straightening out repeatedly till I am out of the turn

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't think any of us are here to "yell" at you.

It might be most helpful to take an advanced class. It's the same routines you do in basic but you are riding your own bike. Probably help a lot with getting your confidence up on it. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts