Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

I was hooking up my new LEDs on the weekend, and my multimeter's battery was dead. Not a 9v to be found in the house.

"meh, I can do without it for a sec."
Rears wired up, no probs. Front left, no prob. Hook up front right, all stops working. Crap.

Switch wires in front right, still no go. Hmmm... they can only go two ways.

Manually test each light with 12v, all are functional.

So, I consult the internet and discover that the ACM will almost ALWAYS blow when the front right is wired incorrectly, and that the front right is wired BACKWARDS. Oh, and the ACM costs $359.00 CDN. :crzy:

Anyhow, I ordered the new ACM and need to know the following:

When I install it can I safely test the wires with a multimeter and NOT have the ACM blow up? ie - If I connect the multimeter to the wires and it's backwards it should just show -12v instead of 12v, but hopefully not pop the ACM. Right?

·
Registered
220 Posts
IIRC, one side will not work when the ACM is blown, other than that I can't really help, I had an issue with my front right signal this past week when I did them. The connector in the headlight was loose, but the back light and both left still worked. I wish I could help you, would putting a resistor on there do anything besides slow the blink rate? Did you put on a resistor first?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, one side will not work when the ACM is blown, other than that I can't really help, I had an issue with my front right signal this past week when I did them. The connector in the headlight was loose, but the back light and both left still worked. I wish I could help you, would putting a resistor on there do anything besides slow the blink rate? Did you put on a resistor first?
The resistor didn't seem to work, but that's not really the issue - they did work until the front right. Other posts on the subject describe exactly the same symptoms I'm having, which leads me to believe ACM.

·
Registered
220 Posts
yeah I believe your right with the ACM, I wish I knew more about electrical. I hope that you can get it squared away, it just blows that you gotta drop $400 on such a small piece... good luck

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
2006 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

I was hooking up my new LEDs on the weekend, and my multimeter's battery was dead. Not a 9v to be found in the house.

Rears wired up, no probs. Front left, no prob. Hook up front right, all stops working. Crap.

Switch wires in front right, still no go. Hmmm... they can only go two ways.

Manually test each light with 12v, all are functional.

So, I consult the internet and discover that the ACM will almost ALWAYS blow when the front right is wired incorrectly, and that the front right is wired BACKWARDS. Oh, and the ACM costs $359.00 CDN. :crzy:

Anyhow, I ordered the new ACM and need to know the following:

When I install it can I safely test the wires with a multimeter and NOT have the ACM blow up? ie - If I connect the multimeter to the wires and it's backwards it should just show -12v instead of 12v, but hopefully not pop the ACM. Right?
I would leave your old ACM in until you get the front right wired up, that way you don't risk blowing your new ACM. Here's how it happens... if you short any of the wires, for even an instant, poof! Yes, they are that sensitive! Don't put your new ACM in until you are done wiring.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
$400 for an ACM? I guess I need to raise my prices.

·
Registered
329 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts