Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look for your local Search and Rescue and Police forces to get these soon.

GIBBS Quadski to launch in U.S. next month

By Ben Coxworth
October 16, 2012

6 Comments
24 Pictures

The GIBBS Quadski
Image Gallery (24 images)

After existing only in prototype form since at least 2006, the GIBBS Quadski is finally about to become a commercially-available product. The amphibious vehicle can be driven like a regular 4WD quad while on land, but it draws in its wheels and becomes a Jet Ski-like contraption upon entering the water – all within five seconds. At a press conference yesterday in Detroit, GIBBS founder Alan Gibbs and chairman Neil Jenkins announced that the Quadski will be available in select U.S. markets starting next month ... priced at about US$40,000.

The Quadski weighs 1,300 pounds (590 kg), has a 15-gallon (57-liter) fuel tank, and is powered by a 175-horsepower BMW Motorrad four-cylinder water-cooled engine – that engine also features electronic fuel injection, a double-overhead camshaft and dry-sump lubrication.
Both on land and water, the vehicle has a claimed top speed of 45 mph (72 km/h). Users just drive it into the water, then press a button to pull in the wheels and enable its jet propulsion system. Upon returning to land, it is likewise a simple matter to deploy the wheels and switch back to driving mode.

Manufacturing of the Quadski will take place at a plant in Auburn Hills, Michigan. Plans currently call for the opening of over 20 U.S. dealerships within the next year, starting this November. The vehicle will initially be available in a single-person model only, in a choice of five colors.
The company hopes to introduce the Quadski to other markets, such as Europe and Latin America, in 2014. Additionally, it was stated that the vehicle “will pave the way for a host of other HSAs [High Speed Amphibians] for consumers, sports enthusiasts, law enforcement agencies, first responders and other commercial enterprises.”
GIBBS currently also manufactures the Phibian and Humdinga II high-speed “Amphitrucks.”
Source: GIBBS

·
Registered
222 Posts
So badass but $40 grand u serious???!!!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Back in the mid 60s, I had the loan of an Amphicar for a weekend. It was a lousy car and a lousy boat, but the only thing, at that time, that could do both. What a weird feeling that was driving it down the ramp into the water. What am I doing out here in the middle of the river in a car?!? At night, it was the only "boat" on the river with headlights! Another weird feeling was tying up to a dock, getting out and looking back at a car with white wall tires floating in the water. Unforgettable experience.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before anybody drops $40k on the Quadski, take a look at this: http://www.watercar.com/ - they have some great videos too, here: http://www.watercar.com/html/watercar_videos.html.
Very true CR. The world, it would seem, has been fascinated by amphibious cars for a long time. I think this more earthy quad for off road and on water will actually find a niche with many agencies who will have a real need for something like it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amphibious+car&oq=amphi&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.3432.4649.0.8989.5.5.0.0.0.0.149.665.0j5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.UGeRysVw7Eg

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Very true CR. The world, it would seem, has been fascinated by amphibious cars for a long time. I think this more earthy quad for off road and on water will actually find a niche with many agencies who will have a real need for something like it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amphibious+car&oq=amphi&gs_l=youtube.1.0.0l10.3432.4649.0.8989.5.5.0.0.0.0.149.665.0j5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.UGeRysVw7Eg
True. The folks from the Dept. of Fish and Game, and the Border Patrol or Law Enforcement in general should get good use out of it. My mind just likes to go to the fun part of everything. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
1. somthing like that you cant have just one! atleast two.

2. i have 4 wheeler now and dont mind putting scratches on it

3. i have a jetski and dont want a sctatch on it!

4. looks like fun i wanna play!

·
Registered
418 Posts
My search and rescue department takes donations and for safety and RIT I would insist on 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts