Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my bike is well warmed up and I come to a stop and idling, I get some popping along with a little bit of inconsistent idle also . I have the wheel +4 , Lloyd's Valve , 1/4 turn throttle ring and a PCV . Do any of you fella's know if I need more or less fuel in the idle cells , or more or less air through the valve . I have the IAC set so when I start up cold the cold idle is 1000RPM's . Less then that when cold and it stars loading up and stalls . Any advice on what I could try to smooth it out would be great .

·
Registered
52 Posts
That may be related to an air leak either at the throttle bodies or the exhaust flanges.

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Its a characteristic of decent pipes and a nicely breathing engine as far as Im concerned.
Im a member of a muscle car club and you should hear some of the lumpy idling and overun backfiring on our cars.
Its got character.
Acceptance is the key.
A characteristic of a heavy breathing engine is it sounds a bit uncivilised.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A good way to look at it , and a good point !thumb up

·
13,254 Posts
if it popping at idle and loading up its to rich.
Bike should idle at 1000
Sounds like your map is off
don't know much about the IAV maybe call Lloydz and ask about it and working with the PCV

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks VJ cheers

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yep! Time to run her down to Kyle Mags. Have you had a DYNO session yet?

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
Well yes of course get get PCV dialled in on the Dyno.
Sound really rorty after that :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bike idles at 850-900 rpms. Is anybody else's idle this low?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep! Time to run her down to Kyle Mags. Have you had a DYNO session yet?
I had one set up , but it down poured that day and it was 110 Mi. one way :( , going to try again when he gets back from Sturgis ...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I experience the same thing. I attributed it to using 94 Octane or the timing wheel. There were no leaks as far as I could tell with soapy water.

I set Timing wheel at +2 and use 91 Octane. No more popping/knocking when at warm idle. Cold idle is fine for me.

Hoping my meeting with KMC answers this. Tune with 94 octane and back to +4 Timing wheel.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a recent symptom for me , it never did this before .... Sometimes worse then others and sometimes no idle popping at all ... Its really quite baffling ... I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction , I;E add a few points of fuel or take away some fuel .... I just don't want to compound the problem trying to fix it .

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
This is a recent symptom for me , it never did this before .... Sometimes worse then others and sometimes no idle popping at all ... Its really quite baffling ... I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction , I;E add a few points of fuel or take away some fuel .... I just don't want to compound the problem trying to fix it .
Mine can behave differently on different days or cold nights, its never a problem tho, idles at 1200 cold and drops to 1000 watmed up. I have the IAV fitted, eas actually on the bike already so my guess is previous owner had it fitted along with the pipes.Just going home the long way today, I do that a lot. Stopped for $5.50 fish n chips.
Life is Grand.:)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine can behave differently on different days Stopped for $5.50 fish n chips.
Life is Grand.:)
Same here , sometimes lots of pop , sometimes none . Would have loved to been there with ya for the fish and chips too .....cheers

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sure it's not the dog on the back set barking at you. :ltr: My D&D's popped a lot when down shifting or just closing the throttle and esp in the lower gears when slowing down. Sense working with Dtmmil and his maps and adding autotune it is getting better. Alot less popping still some in the lower gears. But my stock pipes popped than also just did not hear them as easily. A friend said when you open up the exhaust some popping is normal. I have a friend who is a retired Sheriff that rides a Yamaha 1900 with Cobra pipes and his pop's a lot louder than mine. He also has PCV on it but I don't know if he has ever dynoed it. cheers Rootbeer!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts