Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2011 Kingpin with 4800 mi. I can't find the Idle screw( if there is one). The bike is idling at about 800 rpm and is slightly rolling. When the bike is cold it idles perfectly at 1000 rpm. Does it require the throttle bodies to be cleaned like my 04? I was under the impression the newer bikes do not. If so I am pretty sure they haven't been done yet. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Rolling at a 800 rpm idle? Did you adjust the clutch cable per the manual? That's the first thing I would do. Then report back.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Rolling ?
Do you mean at 800 rpm and in first gear it wants to creep farward ?

Then yes you need to ajust your clutch ....

Cold 1000 & warm about 900 or 800 sounds good to go ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Not to hijack but is it normal for the RPM to vary a bit?
Like +/- 50 ish at idle.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that is about what mine is doing (50 rpm ). Clutch is not causing bike to creep. good free play in lever.

·
Registered
891 Posts
You just purchased the bike so you may not know much about how it's been looked after so I'll offer a couple of easy things to check.

- All battery power and grounding connections are clean and tight.
- Measure the battery voltage when the bike is off (12.6ish), idling(900-950)(13.5ish), and at 2500 rpm's (14.4ish).
- Make sure the air filter is clean.
- Check your throttle cables adjustments.
- Check all the vacuum lines. Dried or cracked ones will cause running problems. While it's running spray some starter fluid or carb cleaner between the heads and listen for changes in the rpms.
- Put in a suitable amount of injector cleaner at your next fuel fill and push it through with a good hi-rpm run on the highway. If the past owner had been using a discount gas station to save 30¢ or maybe let the ethanol fuel sit for awhile you could have a bit of sludge.
- Re-program the fuel controller.

If still a problem you could try re-establishing your base throttle points. Copied from another thread....
Key on, switch on, engine off
Slow 5 count rotate throttle from closed to wide open
Hold throttle wide open for slow 5 count
Let throttle SNAP shut/closed
Cycle kill switch (off then on)
Start it up and check it.

If there's still a problem you may have to have the TPS looked at and reset. I believe that requires a visit to a dealer that still has their Digital Wrench.

As a side note, pay some special attention to the way the bike is running while you're riding. You've only mentioned at idle but there's been more than a couple of threads here about problems in which it was eventually brought out that there were other problems. Sometimes you have to drag more information out of OP that turns out to be quite relevant.(and irritating)

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Newer steel frame bike like to idle between 850-950
XC-Visions at 900-1000
Anything outside of that...then worry.
Rolling in first with clutch pulled in.....already mentioned above.

·
Registered
891 Posts
For someone who owns two bikes there's a surprising lack of detail on the problem and what he's done so far. Not much difference on his post on the other forum.

If I'm reading this correctly OP's "creeping" is rpm surging. Not bike movement.

OP, throw us some more info here.
?????

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What else would cause the bike to creep? If it's not the clutch dragging then what is it?
The threads are getting mixed up. The bike does not creep at all. As far as running at riding speeds she runs like a champ, no complaints there at all.
As far as the battery it is new, BUT was purchased at a Auto Zone or Advanced Auto by previous owner.May have a bad one. A couple of times it couldn't turn the motor over on the compression stroke. I'll check the
voltages and also do the throttle reset.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ahh, more relevant info.

If it can't turn the motor over at times the problem is the charge in the battery. The voltage checks will help you isolate the probable cause but there are some other questions on riding duration's too.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Amperage is what needs to be verified as well as voltage. You could have a battery that shows over 12 volts but the CCA can be way below normal. Have battery load tested.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, figured I would just start up this thread again. To clarify the rpms rolling at idle is just referring to the idle speed going from 900 to 850 and back. it is not a quick back and forth but kind of slow which results in the rolling up and down, not just a momentary change on the digital tach. Bike does not sound right. From what others experience it sounds normal to have that 50 rpm range in the idle. As suggested I did a few things including the throttle reset with no change. Since then I have done a couple of things. I was considering the Lloydz Idle air valve but when I inquired about that from Lloydz I was told it may or may not help. Since I don't have that many motor modifications I didn't want to drop $77 for possibly nothing. I decided install my own air valve( nice valve, push connections and screw adjuster) which was a process as I finally got it installed on the left side Had to use a barbed elbow to make the turn in the line Turned out the valve didn't allow enough air flow even with the adjustment fully open. Scratch that Idea, but I figured I would leave the barbed connector in the vacuum line as it reduce the line opening by the thickness of the connector wall. I could feel that it helped as Idle was slightly better, when you snap on the throttle hard in neutral it would "gulp" air. Now it no longer does this.
I never really got an answer about there being an idle screw but this past weekend I did some looking around I saw what almost looks like a set screw locked with a nut that the throttle linkage comes down on. To be honest, it looks like something they don't want you to mess with, so of course I messed with it. Don't think it took 1/8" and it now idles at 1000 rpm with that momentary 500 drop but it no longer rolls and idles pretty smooth. Also when the bike was revved when the throttle closed the rpms would drop to the point where the bike would almost stall. Seems fine now. I guess it is time to quit messing with it and ride!

·
13,003 Posts
rojo154

save your money on the Idle air valve it will NOT fix the problem guarantee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts