Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Hammer. My resting idle speed has been right around 1,000. I cleaned out the throttle body's and now it's running around 1,500 at a stop. Is there a throttle adjustment screw on the 2006? Or could there be some other problem?

·
13,002 Posts
don't be leave you can adjust idle. Dealer can reset your TPS and that should lower your idle

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks on tb boot and ports for California emissions. If all ok. 06 has idle adjustment screw on left side of tb. Back it down a bit if you still have a small amount of free play on your fast idle. That will keep you going until a factory TPS reset can be done.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Should not reset with power interruption as it should shut off every time bike turns off. Now if it does not have a good enough ground or power source while running, that could cause idle issues.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
I have a 2006 Hammer. My resting idle speed has been right around 1,000. I cleaned out the throttle body's and now it's running around 1,500 at a stop. Is there a throttle adjustment screw on the 2006? Or could there be some other problem?
it happened right after you cleaned your throttle bodies...
Id be looking for a vacuum leak first up

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
it happened right after you cleaned your throttle bodies...
Id be looking for a vacuum leak first up
I'd take this advice....use a little spritz of WD40, the idle will change when you find the leak.

·
Registered
566 Posts
This being a 2006 bike, I bet that rubber throttle body adapter is rotten and cracked. Pull the cheese wedge off on the right side of the bike, visually locate the rubber throttle body adapter. With the bike cold, start the bike and spray carb cleaner around the throttle body adapter and see if the idle rpm changes or if the bike kills. I like to do this with the straw attached to the carb can so that you have a better idea of where the leak is, if there is one. If spraying carb cleaner on the adapter changes the idle, that adapter is cracked and needs to be replaced.
BTW: I wouldn't do this on a HOT bike because carb cleaner is highly flammable.

Otherwise, you probably just need to adjust the throttle idle lever or the throttle cable. Both are adjustable on these bikes.

If it turns out to be a cracked throttle body adapter, this thread may help:

http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/14145-high-idle-when-engine-gets-hot-1400-1500-rpms.html

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
After reading that the idle is adjustable, I'm thinking if it's not a vacuum leak then possibly a previous owner adjusted the idle up to try and mask the dirty throttle bodies and now they're clean the idles jumped up.
If that's the case then yeah manually drop the idle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the great ideas

I took the tank off and started to check everything and I found the problem. A broken throttle cable. It wouldn't fully retract the cable back and it was always getting a little throttle. I thought for sure it was a vacuum leak before I started. I guess I'll order both cables, the clutch cable went two weeks ago. I think my 2006 is starting to show its age, the cables were rusted.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Glad you found your issue. I'm about to go on a 1200 mile trip over july 4th weekend and the biggest fear I have is that darn clutch cable giving out. Mine is still the factory cable... :|

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel your pain, after two cables in 3 weeks I'm wondering if I should just change them all. I just ordered both throttle cables. I guess the idle cable can't leave me stranded.

The worst part is how short our summers are and how long I've been without my bike. It will be 11 days for the parts and some more time to put them on. I'll be bike-less for a month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts