Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 08 Jackpot with 1800 miles. I have had it a few days now and all of the sudden when I started it up the idle was really high for about 20seconds then it just started surging up and down. Should I take it to a dealer and have them check it out?

Thanks

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Check your fast idle switch.

When you start your bike you should use the fast idle to warm it up. Personally I warm her up at 1500-2000 RPM for a minute. Do NOT and I repeat do NOT crack the throttle while the bike is cold. The bike runs in a lean mode when warming up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont see the lever, are they on the 08's? I took a video of it with my camera, its a bout 70meg I can try and make it smaller. Any way I can post it somewhere? If I start the bike and it idle's high and then slows down (probably normal) and then just barly touch the throttle it starts surging for a bit again. Sounds really bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its never acted like this before. It was running for about 5min. ( I live really close to work) On the way home everytime I would pull in the clutch it would start surging. Started it up twice since I got home and it would surge then settle down, but then just the slightest touch of the gas would set it surging again. Think its safe to ride it? My victory dealer is 30min away, I wanted them to look it over since I just bought it anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this cheap enough and something I can replace myself (novice) or should I just take it to a dealer?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well to give an update, I took my bike to the dealer and have them look at it. When they first looked at it, they said the entire throttle body was loose and that was the causing an air leak. They called me back saying that it was the throttle body adapter that was broke, the bolts holding it on were completely worn through it. (I assume this is the same adapter as everyone here was talking about) They figured a week before they could get the part and with labor it was going to be around $200-$250.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got my bike back and it was only $137!!!! Bike runs great now and even starts better. I use to have to give it gas when starting, probably to make up for all the air it was getting.

I do however have a new problem, I know I could take it back to the dealer and they would probably fix it buts its a ways away and its hard to make travel plans. When I twist the throttle it meets a certain point with heavy resistance. If I twist pass this point it will stick. Didn't know if there was something I could diagnose and fix without taking it back. (maybe I should start a new thread)

·
Registered
99 Posts
hey mate definitely ring the dealer who fixed the air leak , I would think they would have had to pull the throttle cable to do the air leak so either it’s not been reinstalled correctly or maybe something ( hose or wiring )has been pushed up against the throttle mechanism or cable when it’s been reassembled?...this is all just a guess but is to coincidental to be a new fault

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Sounds like the cable is sticking.

That is a good idea in regard to posting quick fixes BUT remember that Kevin is the member of a FEW different forums and that is a time intensive procedure. He also has his regular day job and tries to get a little riding in from time to time.

This isn't the first forum to bring up that idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I found what was causing the throttle issue. Its my clutch cable, it was getting in the way, I moved it and all is well. However this cable now runs over top of my engine since i got it back from the dealer, not sure if this will cause a problem, or where it should run. i have attached an image I took with my phone.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.