Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for idle on the 106 to "bounce" a bit? Like it should idle 1000 ish but it seems to bounce between 1000 to 1050 not steady smooth continuous idle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I assume this is the digital tach --
It only registers in increments of 50. Because it is rounding to the nearest 50 it will "jump" by 50's. There are no numbers in between. When it is bouncing back and forth think 1025 RPM.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh well it's on my CCT but I was just curious if it's normal for RPM to vary on the 106. It's not a lot but it's not a steady needle holding a specific RPM either.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Maybe issue with plugs then. It's on my list with brake fluid. Only two things I didn't mess with last year when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibly I'm making it seem worse than it really is. A little variation in RPM. Even my pickup does that but it idles more like a diesel for 7 years.

Just not sure what is normal on the 106 engine. My Honda might do something similar but no tach on that for me to observe.

I'll need to pull tank for air filter so I'll check everything I can see then. If we get enough dry weather for me to use some of this winter gas first.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
13,047 Posts
when my vision had idle fluctuation it was cause battery was on its way out.
Try some seafoam

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it's been doing it since I bought it used last May so I assumed was normal...

So you're all saying the tach should hold a solid steady line on the RPM with no fluttering?

Battery is a good possibility I'm not sure age but it doesn't take long to recover on the tender after a ride so I think that's probably good.

Spark plugs I'll pull here soon maybe just need a good cleaning I've not checked them yet.

Not even sure where to look for a vacuum leak I've never had the tank off.

I do still have my "winter" gas because for some reason mother nature wants to dump rain everyday I wanna ride. Same symptoms last year in the middle of summer though.

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
I'm wondering if a fuel pump fluctuation in pressure would do this but it's more likely some old or bad gas is the cause.

Not sure it's worth the time and effort to fix something that hasn't really become a problem yet. Just like intermittent problems in the electrical system; these 'almost' problems can be just as elusive.

Perhaps just keeping an eye on it after you change the plugs is the more prudent course of action for now.

Heck, just because it isn't normal in every Victory, doesn't mean it isn't normal for yours.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it would do it with fresh gas too. I don't mean a huge swing in RPM but the needle wiggles at the 1000 mark when it's settled from the high idle start.

Probably isn't anything to worry about I was just curious if I'm the only one. :)

Runs great. My Honda might do the same with that sexy potato potato sound but I've never had a tach on it to see.

Never needed a tach on a bike but now that I have one I notice little things like this that make me go hmmmm.

·
Registered
207 Posts
when my vision had idle fluctuation it was cause battery was on its way out.
Try some seafoam
In the Battery??:laugh:laugh

I inquired about this a short time ago and it was a fair consensus that it is quite normal. My bike does it. If the idle is fairly smooth I wouldn't worry about it. If the duration is a little longer causing a slight "surge" or roll in the idle then you may wish to take actions. It is well known the idle air control can allow too much air. I believe this caused my issue with the roll. If I snapped the throttle open hard it would just suck air off idle. If I released the throttle say at 3000 rpm the rpm would drop below normal idle and come close to a stall. It did stall on me once when I missed a shift and while the throttle was closed. I performed a homemade remedy to the Idle air system which made a pretty good difference.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
Some good spark plug wires and new plugs would do a lot to stabilize the idle (and more).

If you had told me the Taylor wires from Witchdoctor would make a noticeable difference I would have laughed at you... but guess what?

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Some good spark plug wires and new plugs would do a lot to stabilize the idle (and more).

If you had told me the Taylor wires from Witchdoctor would make a noticeable difference I would have laughed at you... but guess what?
....................what?

·
13,047 Posts
Stock plug wires junk. I put a set of Sumax on and bike was smoother and seat of the pants quicker. Worth the money

·
Registered
308 Posts
My '17 highball "varies" a little. Took it to the dealer when it was new he checked it out and he said it's "normal". Haven't worried it alot since but it is a little "odd". LMYR

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay I know nothing about plug wires so point me to some good ones. :)

New plugs going in today with the Lloyd's filter and a different tune. Gonna see what happens.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts